Ayurveda is defined as a book which describes various ways to enhance Ayu, that is life. It is one of the most ancient as well as documented systems of medicine. Ayurveda deserves equal importance in modern times too. The exact meaning of the Sanskrit term Ayurveda translates to knowledge of life and also explains the ancient principles of this ancient wisdom. According to Ayurveda the body works with three humors which are present inside of the body that is vata, pitta and kapha. The whole ayurveda is based on balancing these three doshas as their disbalance is something that is responsible for causing disease. In this article we are going to discuss jahar mohra khatai pishti which is very well explained in Ayurvedic texts and is very potent in balancing doshas. The article contains information regarding classical indications, ingredients, preparation method, dosage and medicinal properties of jahar mohra khatai pishti.
Jahar mohra khatai pishti is prepared using purified jahar mohra. Jahar mohra is basically a rock which is also known by the name Serpentine. Serpentine is used after its purification and is very effective in managing a wide variety of diseased conditions. The jahar mohra got its name from its vendors. The stone is frequently used by unani vaidya in treatment of many conditions. It is very popular in unani chikitsa due to its best results. The jahar mohra stone which is light weighted and is type of slimy on touch is considered as the best for using. It is sold at high rates especially in Delhi and Amritsar. The formulation is best explained in Ayurveda prakash.
- Yakrit vikara
- Jeerna jwara
- Shoosh roga
- Enhances bala, veerya and kanti
Jahar mohra (Serpentine)
Reference:- Ayurved Prakash
As mentioned before Johar mohra is basically a stone which is white or yellowish in colour and also has a bit of a greenish tinge in its look. It is mostly used by unani vaidya due to its best qualities of healing. The stone which is not abraded is considered the best for making formulations.
- Jahar mohra stone is heated directly fiest.
- Then the stone is extinguished in cow’s milk or Amla (Embelica officinalis) swaras (juice) .
- The stone is heated for a total of 21 times and after heating each time it is extinguished in cow’s milk or amla swaras.
- In this way jahar mohra stone is purified completely.
Serpentine is not the name of a single mineral but it is basically a large group of minerals which are generally put under the formula (X)2-3(Y)2O5(OH)4. Here X stands for metals like magnesium, iron, nickel, aluminium and zinc. Y donates silicon, aluminium or iron. The appropriate formula can be considered as (Mg,Fe,Ni, Mn,Zn)2-3(Si,Al,Fe)2O5(OH)4. Now we can understand how a rock can be so beneficial. Generally the Serpentine is collected from areas of exposed oceanic plate. Such places are called ophiolites.
Jahar mohra pishti is said to be more effective than jahar mohra bhasma if used in adequate doses or amounts.
Physical properties of jahar mohra rock
- White to yellowish in colour along with a greenish tinge.
- Slippery or slimy feel
- Patterned appearance
- Serpentine has the ability to resist the transfer of heat.
Generally the physical properties remind observers of a snake, that’s why it’s called serpentine.
Sometimes it has a translucent, diaphanetic, waxy luster, ease of being cut into shapes and has an ability to accept a polish.
Method Of Preparation
The jahar mohra khatai pishti is prepared using the following method:
- The best quality jahar mohra stone is broken into pieces and then washed with water.
- After washing, the stones are dried and then crushed to make fine powder. After this fine powder is sieved using a cloth.
- Then this powder is transferred to a stone mortar.
- Rose water or chandanadi arka is added to it and along with these two the powder is grinded well until it becomes completely fine.
- Then it is dried and stored in an airtight container.
- This is called as Jahar mohra khatai pishti
The jahar mohra khatai pishti is said to be more effective than jahar mohra bhasma by unani vaidya. Following are its medicinal properties:
- The jahar mohra pishti is considered an antidote for poison and decreases chances of complications due to poison. Due to its property of acting as an antidote, it is termed as jahar mohra.
- When the jahar mohra stone is heated it releases some water which can be administered to patients of chronic fever and is effective in reducing such types of fevers. (according to a unani medicine book— karabadeen kadari)
- It is effective in infective conditions if taken with nirmali beej churna and rose water. (375mg of jahar mohra pishti + 125 mg of nirmali churna + rose water)
- In case of increased blood pressure it can be given with sarpangandha.
- Jahar mohra pishti can be given along with ashokarishta in menorrhagia.
- Diarrhoea in children and adults
- Burning sensation in body
- Liver disorders
- Chronic fevers
- High blood pressure
- Infants – 30-125mg in 2-3 divided doses
- Children – 60-125mg in 2-3 divided doses
- Adults – 125-250mg in 2 divided doses
- Maximum Dose Possible – 500 mg (in at least three divided doses)
- It is best to be avoided in pregnant females.
- It is advisable to take this medicine only under medical supervision, especially for children and lactating mothers.
- Take this medicine only at the prescribed dosage for a particular time period only.
- Store in a cool dry place.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children.
Jahar mohra khatai pishti is an effective formulation if used intelligently. This preparation has its roots from unani medicine but also is widely accepted in Ayurveda for its marvelous properties in many conditions. Due to its pitta pacification property it can be used in many conditions after applying yukti. The formulation of such minerals is always prepared after their purification keeping in mind the aim to provide the best quality of the formulation.