ABOUT JAHAR MOHRA
Jahar Mohra is a mineral based Ayurvedic medicine. It is mainly used to deal with heart diseases. It is potent cardio tonic. Jahar Mohra is beneficial in diseases of digestive system and cardiovascular system.
Jahar mohra is prepared out of Jahar mohra stone (also called as nagapashana). In Rasa-shastra it is included under siktha varga (silicon compounds) as it’s a great source of silica. It also serves to be the source for magnesium. Jahar mohra is commonly known as serpentine.
Serpentine is a gem-quality hydrated magnesium silicate (H2Mg3Si2O2), usually green, yellowish-green, or brownish-green in color. Serpentine is a basic magnesium silicate, with many specimens containing iron as well. Other elements in small quantities may also be present, including chromium, nickel and cobalt. Antigorite form of serpentine is used mainly.
The name ‘serpentine’ is thought to be derived from ‘serpent’ as its color is said to resemble that of a snake. Serpentine has been used for centuries by many cultures as an ornamental and healing stone. Serpentine was thought to protect against disease and evil sorcery. Serpentine is a strong stone of meditation and it is believed to help its wearers, to find inner-peace. Physically, serpentine is thought to protect against the poison of snakes and other venomous creatures. Serpentine crystal stone is used as an antidote for deadly snake bites. It is also thought to help alleviate pains of the kidney, stomach cramps and tension.
Serpentine stone has a strong energy known to stimulate the arousal of the kundalini energies. It also helps to assist with healing problems within the heart and lungs. It is an excellent stone for cellular regeneration. They may also aid healing of diabetes, and eliminate parasites, as well as helping you to better absorb both magnesium and calcium.
PREPARATION OF JAHAR MOHRA
Jahar mohra stone is purified and then powdered to form Jahar mohra.
- Shodhana (Purification or Detoxification): It involves heating the Jahar Mohra (Serpentine) stones until they become red and then throwing them into Cow’s milk or Triphala Decoction. This process is repeated for 21 times. In Unani system of medicine it is used in the form of pishti by grinding it with gulabi arka (rose water).
- Mardana: Grinding the fine powder with Cow’s Milk for 6 hours
- Making cakes: Making small cakes of thick paste prepared during Mardana process
- Marna: After drying the small cakes, they are put into the earthen pots and heated for obtaining Bhasma.
Quantity: 5 gms
PROPERTIES OF JAHAR MOHRA
It has mainly rooksha guna. Also it is believed to improve Ojas. It also has rasayana (rejuvenating) property. Hence it is used in the preparation of jaganmohana rasayana. Even though it has action on thridosha it mainly balances aggravated pitta.
- Antidote of scorpion stings
- Antidote of snake bites
- Digestive Stimulant
- Helps to increase intellect
- Reduces fatigue
- Excellent health promoter
- Cardio protective
- Diarrhea in children
- Nausea & Vomiting
- Burning sensation in abdomen and heartburn
- Gastro enteritis
- Liver disorders (rarely used)
- Chronic Fever
- High Blood Pressure
- Weakness of heart muscles
- Infants – 30 to 125 mg
- Children – 60 to 125 mg
- Adults – 125 to 150 mg
- Pregnancy & breast feeding – better to avoid or as directed by the physician
- Geriatrics – 125 to 250 mg
- Maximum possible dosage per day – 500 mg
It should be taken twice a day after food with honey or water. Honey is the best adjuvant.
Jahar Mohra can be used on a long-term basis for the management of high blood pressure. Generally, long-term use is not required in many cases if managed properly considering Dosha.
BENEFITS OF JAHAR MOHRA
Take Jahar mohra along with pravala pishti, abhraka bhasma, giloy satwa or kaseesa godanti bhasma. This combination of Jahar Mohra takes 3 to 7 days to treat the condition completely. But it should be taken for at least 4 weeks to prevent recurrence.
It can also be combined with ashokarishta. Jahar Mohra Pishti provides additional support to reduce bleeding, weakness and fatigue.
Take Jahar mohra along with soda bicarbonate, lump sugar and honey. It will subside the headache with the hypertension. It should be taken twice or thrice a day.
High Blood Pressure:
In conjunction with Sarpagandha powder (crude natural form) Jahar Mohra works better. In Mild Hypertension, 250 mg dosage is sufficient, In Moderate Hypertension 500 mg dosage is good, but in Severe hypertensive cases, 500 mg Jahar Mohra Pishti should be taken along with 250 mg Sarpagandha Churna (natural crude form).
Diarrhea in Children:
Jahar mohra is given in combination with mustha (Cyperus rotundus), coriander seeds, amla powder and with seeds of kutaja (Holarrhena antidysentrica). Shadanga Paniya should be given if diarrhea accompanies with fever. Even if fever is not present, the use of Shadanga Paniya is still beneficial for reducing AMA (Toxins) in the body and speeds up the recovery process.
CAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS
- Medicine should be taken under strict observation of your physician. Self-medication may lead to have dangerous side effects.
- Dosage should be corrected according to your age, strength, body constitution etc. An overdose with medicine can be fatal.
- Pregnant ladies and breast feeding mothers are strictly restricted from the use of Jahar mohra.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.