This is an ayurvedic classical medication which is made from the small sea shells also known as karpardika or kaudi in ayurveda. It has been known since ancient times in India. According to ayurveda yellow, with the lump on the back,long and round kapardika is used by ayurvedists to make medications from it. It has various benefits as it has a habitat of water due to which it has a cold potency and can be used in the disorders which arise due to pitta dosha and in indigestion.
Ingredients Used in Kapardak Bhasma
- Karpard (Sea shell)
- Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis)
Ref. Ayurvedic Text – [ Bhaishajya ratnavali ]
Description Of The Ingredients
- Karpard : It has pungent taste, light to digest and is strong and piercing in nature. Vipaka (Taste conversion after digestion) is also pungent and is hot in potency due to which it helps in balancing the kapha and pitta dosha.
- Aloe vera : Aloe vera has bitter taste and is heavy to digest and is heavy and also has unctuous (Snigdha) and sticky or slimy properties. Potency of the aloe vera is cold (Sheeta) and helps in balancing all the doshas. Aloe vera is used to give bhavna during the making of the bhasma.
Method Of Preparation
It is prepared by using the following method:
- Shudha karpardika is taken and put in between two sharava and is heated in a gajputta.
- When it cools down on its own then it is triturated with aloe vera juice.
- It is then made into the shape of discoid cakes and again it is heated in gajputta.
- When this mixture gets cooled down then it is grinded to a fine powder consistency.
It has following medicinal properties like It is pungent, hot in potency and alkaline in nature due to which it acts as a digestive stimulant, antacid, anodyne, antispasmodic, carminative, antiemetic, detoxifier, antiflatulent, antiulcerogenic, mucolytic and astringent.
Classically it has been mentioned in diseases mentioned below:
- Discharge from the ears
- Low digestive fire
- Grahani (IBS)
- Shoola (Abdominal cloicky pain)
- Parinaamshoola (Duodenal ulcers)
- Amlapitta (Acidity)
It has been indicated in many abdominal disorders and digestive disorders as it has a high bioavailability so due to this it will show instant results in diseases. Due to the alkaline nature it will react with the acid and secretions of the stomach and neutralize it. It helps in improving the digestion and digests the ama and prevents the ama formation. It will be helpful in abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, sour taste in mouth, dyspepsia, etc. It is also used for making many rasaushadhi and it is mainly indicated in digestion related issues.
Mainly it does not have any side effects but it should not be put directly on the tongue as it can cause fissures on the tongue.
We can conclude that this is an ayurvedic classical medication which is made from the sea shells (Cowries) and is really good for the digestive health and also acts as an acidity regulator. It can also be used instead of calcium supplements. Planet ayurveda’s kapardak bhasma is made from the purified kapardak and from the authentic way of preparation.