EFFECTIVE HERBS AND HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS TO TREAT WRITER’S CRAMP
|1||NeuroGenie Capsules||1 Bottle (60 Capsules)|
|2||Boswellia-Curcumin||1 Bottle (60 Capsules)|
|3||Rasraj Ras||3 Bottles (10 Tablets Each)|
|4||Trayodashang Guggul||1 Bottle (120 Tablets)|
Writer’s cramps as the name indicates that something that makes you refuse to write. It is a type of focal (limited to one location) dystonia (state of abnormal muscle tone) that affects your hands, fingers and forearms. It’s an idiopathic neurological movement disorder. In this disorder the brain sends false information to the muscles causing excessive and involuntary muscle contractions and these contractions make the hands twist in abnormal ways. It is also known as task-specific dystonia as it makes it difficult to perform particular day to day activities or skill movements like sewing, playing a musical instrument, typing etc. Other names for writer’s cramp are- focal hand dystonia, arm dystonia, musical cramp, finger dystonia, occupational cramps and task-specific dystonia. This condition is most common in men.
TYPES OF WRITER’S CRAMP
1. Simple Writer’s Cramp
In this type of writer’s cramp symptoms only appear while writing. Symptoms started appearing as you pick up a pen and it affects only the ability to write.
2. Dystonic Writer’s Cramp
Here symptoms appear while writing as well as while performing other tasks along with the help of hands such as applying make-up, while eating, using a knife, playing musical instruments, etc.
SYMPTOMS OF WRITER’S CRAMP
As you read earlier that the main characteristic feature is abnormal and involuntary movement of hands so the symptoms are also related to that of hand movements. Let’s take a look at those symptoms.
- Gripping of pen or pencil hard
- Flexing of wrists
- Extension of fingers during writing and make it difficult to hold the pen
- Unusual movement of wrists and elbows
- Failing of response by hands and fingers
- Cramping pain in hands
- Distorted or untidy writing
- Slow writing speed
- During anxiety and stress tremor in hands increased
CAUSES OF WRITER’S CRAMP
It is an idiopathic disease whose cause is unknown. Along with that the reason behind it is the malfunctioning of some areas of the brain which includes sensory motor and basal ganglia as a result of excessive fine motor activities like overuse of the hand, poor way of holding pen, poor writing posture and muscle strain due to pressing the pen. On the other hand anxiety and stress may worsen the symptoms.
DIAGNOSIS OF WRITER’S CRAMP
There is no single test for the diagnosis of writer’s cramp. Doctor may ask your personal history and medical history along with neurological examination. Writer’s cramp may often be mistaken with other conditions that involve over use of hands and other conditions that involve the disfiguring of hands like R.A, tendon problems, muscle cramps, etc.
Degree of disability varies and can be diagnosed with ARM DYSTONIA SCALE (ARM) or WRITER’S CRAMP RATING SCALE (WCRS).
AYURVEDIC VIEW OF WRITER’S CRAMP
As we read that writer’s cramp is a neurological disorder and as per ayurveda it is correlated to vata vyadhi. Vata vyadhi occurs due to aggregation of vata dosha. Now let you come to know what vata dosha is. For this purpose let us discuss the concept of tridosha. Tridosha are the three biological energies in our body that manage all psychological and physiological functions in our body. They build the body and maintain it in a potent state of health. When these vital energies are aggravated due to improper factors then the mind and body connection begins to suffer and the pathology of the disease begins. Vata dosha- is the most powerful dosha among all of the three. Our body is made up of five elements- space, air, fire, water and earth. Vata dosha is formed by the reaction of space (akasha) and air (vayu). Vata is responsible for all the movements in the body. Pitta dosha- is formed by the reaction of fire (agni) and water (jala). It is responsible for regulating body metabolism and transformations. Kapha dosha- it is formed by the reaction of earth with water. It helps in providing lubrication to different body tissues. If all these three energies are balanced then your body is disease free and if any of the energy gets vitiated then you will suffer with the disease. As we studied that writer’s cramp occurs with the vitiation of vata dosha here you learnt about the vata dosha now let you introduce the causes of vitiation of vata dosha.
Causes of vata dosha vitiation
- Ruksha ahaara (dry meal)
- Sheeta ahaara (cold meal)
- Atialpa ahaara (meager meal)
- Asatamaya ahaara (inaccurate diet)
- Katu (pungent), tikta (bitter) and kshaya (astringent) food items
- Vishma ahaara (odd diet)
- Adhyashan (intake of food on indigestion)
- Excessive intercourse
- Excessive fasting
- Vegdharana (suppression of natural urge)
- Chinta (stress)
- Shok (depression)
- Bhaya (fear)
- Excessive swimming
- Excessive traveling
- Excessive studying
- Excessive talking
- Excessive weightlifting
- Less sleep
- Krodha (anger)
- Diva shyana (sleeping in day)
All these conditions lead to vata dosha vitiation and if a person is doing any of the things among these causes then he or she may suffer from neurological disorders like writer’s cramp.
Common symptoms of vata vyadhi
- Contractions in affected body parts
- Stiffness in joints
- Piercing type of pain
- Stiffness in affected part
- Lameness with affected body part
- Dystrophy of organs
- Throbbing sensation in body
- Pricking pain
- Tearing pain
LIST OF MEDICATIONS IN WRITER’S CRAMP CARE PACK
- NEUROGENIE CAPSULES
- RASRAJ RAS
- TRAYODASHANG GUGGUL
1. NeuroGenie Capsules
Neurogenie capsules by Planet Ayurveda contain two herbal extracts such as Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). Let’s take a look at the benefits of each ingredient.
INGREDIENTS AND THEIR BENEFITS
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) contains antioxidant properties that help in preventing the formation of free radicals and protects the cell from damage. It pacifies vata dosha and manages the functioning of the brain, as in writer’s cramp brain sends false signals to the muscles which leads to involuntary muscle movement so by alleviating vata dosha brain works effectively and manages the condition of writer’s cramp.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) acts as a miraculous nervine tonic. It consists of properties such as snigdha (unctuousness) and ushna (hot potency), both effectively pacify vata dosha. It also includes rasayan properties that provide a rejuvenating effect and prevent any degeneration in the brain.
DOSAGE: 1 capsule twice daily after 30 min of meals with warm water.
Boswellia curcumin capsules by Planet Ayurveda is a herbal remedy that is prepared with two standardised herbal extracts that is Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and curcumin (Curcuma longa). Further we will discuss the benefits of both the ingredients.
INGREDIENTS AND THEIR BENEFITS
- Shallaki (Boswellia serrata): As we read earlier that in a writer’s cramp intense pain is one of the major symptoms so shallaki as an excellent analgesic and vata pacifying, effectively reduce the pain in case of writer’s cramp.
- Curcumin (Curcuma longa): Curcumin (Curcuma longa) is a standardised extract of turmeric which acts as an anti-inflammatory and analgesic as well. So due to these effects and its antioxidant effects it promotes the easy management of writer’s cramp.
DOSAGE: 1 capsule twice daily after 30 min of meals with warm water.
3. RASRAJ RAS
INGREDIENTS AND THEIR BENEFITS
- Shuddha Parada (Purified mercury): Shuddha Parada consists of various properties such as balya (strengthening), rasayana (rejuvenating), vata roga hara (aids in the management of neurological disorders) and sarva roga hara (eliminates all kinds of disease). So these properties of parada effectively works in the management of writer’s cramp.
- Abhrak bhasma (Calyx of Purified Mica): Abhrak bhasma possess rasayana properties that helps in preventing the formation of free radicals and prevents nerve cell degeneration, so abhrak controls the functioning of brain miraculously and alleviates the condition of writer’s cramp.
- Swarna bhasma (Calyx of gold): Swarna bhasma ia one of the best rejuvenator, anti-oxidant and nervine tonic, by pacifying vata dosha effectively it regulates the functioning of brain and helps in the management of writer’s cramp.
- Ghritkumari swaras (Tinospora cordifolia):Ghritkumari (Tinospora cordifolia) is also known as aloe vera in common language. Aloe vera helps in relieving pain due to writer’s cramp by its anti-inflammatory properties due to release of proinflammatory cytokines.
- Loha bhasma (Calyx of iron): Loha bhasma consists of properties such as sweet, bitter and sour taste, nourishing effect, cold potency, strengthens immunity and rejuvenates the brain and body. Hence it is effective in the management of writer’s cramp.
- Raupya bhasma (Calyx of silver): Raupya bhasma is good for strengthening the nerves and provides proper circulation to the brain.
- Vanga bhasma (An ayurvedic tin compound): Vanga bhasma improves immunity and strength, alleviates pain by pacifying vata dosha in case of writer’s cramp.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera):Ashwagandha possesses adaptogenic properties that reduces stress and initiates the functioning of nerves. With proper functioning of the nervous system ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) aids in the management of writer’s cramp.
- Lavang (Syzygium aromaticum): Lavanga (Syzygium aromaticum) consists of tikta (bitter), katu (pungent) and snigdha (oiliness) properties which aids in balancing vata dosha and managing the condition of writer’s cramp.
- Javitri (Myristica frangrans): Javitri (Myristica fragrans) is a wonderful detoxifier and promotes the brain functioning due to which the rush of blood increases to the periphery and helps in the management of writer’s cramp.
- Kshir Kakoli (Fritillaria roylei): Kshir Kakoli (Lilium polyphyllum) consists of sweet taste, cold potency, heavy to digest and possesses properties such as brihmana (nourishes bodily tissues) and jivana (enlivening). Due to these properties kshir kakoli prevent degeneration of the nerve cells and regulate the functioning of the brain.
- Kakamachi (Solanum nigrum):Kakamachi is commonly known with the name makoy and possesses diuretic properties. With these properties kakamachi helps in detoxifying the body and balancing vata dosha thus alleviates the condition of writer’s cramp.
DOSAGE: One tablet daily after meals to be chewed with warm ghee or as directed by a physician.
4. TRAYODASHANG GUGGUL
Trayodashang Guggul by Planet Ayurveda is a classical ayurvedic formulation. As the name suggests trayodashang which means 13, the formulation consists of a total 13 herbs. This classical formulation is very effective in pacifying vata dosha thus included in the writer’s cramp care pack. Further are the ingredients with the properties that aids in relieving writer’s cramp.
INGREDIENTS AND THEIR BENEFITS
- Guggul (Commiphora mukul): Guggul (Commiphora mukul) is a gum resin that has been used since ancient times for its antioxidant properties. Due to these properties guggul helps in presenting the degeneration of nerve cells and initiates healthy brain working.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera):Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) consists of rasayana properties that provide a rejuvenating effect and prevent free radical formation in the body. It consists of natural steroid withaferin A that is responsible for providing strength to the nerve cells and regulating the overall brain functioning.
- Babool (Acacia nilotica): Babool (Acacia nilotica) consists of vata shamak properties which pacify the aggravated vata dosha in the writer’s cramp and alleviates its symptoms. It also possesses other properties such as aphrodisiac, antipyretic, expectorant and detoxifier.
- Hauber (Juniperus communis): Hauber (Juniperus communis) consists of vata pacifying properties that aids in the management of writer’s cramp. Other properties of hauber are mutrajanak (natural diuretic), sandhi shotha hara (anti-inflammatory), artava janaka (improves the quality of ovum), madhumeha hara (useful in urinary disorders and diabetes).
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia): Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) possess immuno-modulating, antioxidant, neuroprotective, anti-osteoporotic properties. By these properties it helps in preventing degeneration of nerve cells thus aids in managing the condition of writer’s cramp.
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus): As per ayurveda the dosha responsible for governing all the movements in the body is vata dosha which respectively controls all the functions of the nervous system. The cause of writer’s cramp is mainly Vata imbalance. Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) helps to balance Vata dosha and promotes the healthy functioning of the nervous system which in turn aids the management of writer’s cramp.
- Gokhru (Tribulus terrestris): properties of Gokhru (Tribulus terrestris) that helps in the management of writer’s cramp are balya (strengthening) and vata shamaka (pacification of vata dosha). Other miraculous properties of gokhru due to which it is known in the field of ayurveda are diuretic and aphrodisiac.
- Nishotha (Operculina turpethum): Nishotha (Operculina turpethum) consists of ushna veerya and aids in pacifying vata dosha thus effective in relieving writer’s cramp. Nishotha has various health benefits such as it relieves chronic constipation due to its powerful prugation properties, relieves skin diseases, piles, obesity, worm infestations, etc.
- Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare): Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare) helps in detoxification of the body that prevents free radical formation and restricts nerve cell damage. Helps in regulating blood pressure and provides healthy circulation of blood to the brain thus regulates the functioning of the nervous system and alleviates writer’s cramp.
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata): Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata) possess properties such as tikta (bitter) taste, ushna veerya (hot potency), kapha vata shamaka (reduces aggravated vata and kapha dosha). So due to vata pacifying and hot potency properties, rasna regulates the functioning of the nervous system.
- Kachur (Curcuma zedoaria):Kachur (Curcuma zedoaria) possesses antioxidant properties that help in preventing formation of free radicals and the damage to the brain cells from free radicals thus aids writer’s cramp.
- Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi): Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi) possesses hot potency that aids in pacifying vata dosha which is mainly responsible for the functioning of the nervous system. So by balancing the vata dosha ajwain aids in the management of writer’s cramp.
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale): Ginger (Zingiber officinale) has miraculous antioxidant effects which prevent the nerve cell damage from the free radicals which is the main cause behind the imbalance in the functioning of the nervous system.
DOSAGE: 2 tablets twice daily after 30 min of meals with warm water.
DIET FOR WRITER’S CRAMP
Diet to be consumed:
- Whole wheat
- Brown rice
- Sweet potatoes
- Moong daal
- Red lentil
- Cow milk
- Fruit juice
- Herbal tea
- Egg white
- Cashew nuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Cow ghee
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
Diet to be limited:
- Dry oats
- White rice
- Dried fruits
- Raw vegetables
- Kidney beans
- Split peas
- Powdered milk
- Coriander seeds
- Ice cold drinks
- Soft drinks
- Red meat
- Sunflower seeds
- Dry and roasted nuts
- Flaxseed oil
- Canola oil
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
In this study we discuss the Writer’s Cramp Care Pack. This pack is formulated to treat writer’s cramp. Writer’s cramp is a neurological condition caused by some defect in the brain. As per ayurveda neurological condition occurs as a result of vata dosha aggravation. The main characteristic feature of writer’s cramp is involuntary muscle contraction of hands. Planet Ayurveda’s writer’s cramp care pack includes four great herbal formulations that treat the condition with pacifying the vata dosha.