Effective Herbal Remedies for Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ)
|1||Boswellia-Curcumin||2 Bottles (120 capsules)|
|2||Ashwagandha Capsules||1 Bottle (60 capsules)|
|3||Joint Aid Plus||2 Bottles (120 capsules)|
|4||Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras||2 Bottles (120 capsules)|
|5||Maha Rasnadi Kwath||2 Bottles (120 capsules)|
|6||Mahatriphala Ghrit||2 Bottles (120 capsules)|
|7||Nirgundi Oil||1 Bottle (100ml)|
|8||Orthovita Oil||1 Bottle (100ml)|
The role of Temporomandibular Joint is to connect the jaw bone to the skull. These joints are located on each side of the jaw. The bones that forms the joint are covered with the cartilage and are separated by a small shock-absorbing disk that keeps the movement smooth. It can be temporary or lasts for many years. It is a musculoskeletal disorder of the masticatory system. The diseases of TMJ can cause pain in the jaw joint and in the muscles that control the movement of the jaw.
The degenerative joint disease is a frequent finding in the Temporomandibular Joints (TMJ). Osteoarthritis can also affect the Temporomandibular Joint and known as TMJ Osteoarthritis. The non-dental causes of oral pain are closely related to the temporomandibular disorder. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disorder rather than an inflammatory disorder and mainly affects the weight-bearing joints. The disease in TMJ differs as it is non-weight bearing and the articular surface is covered with a layer of mature fibrous tissue rather than with hyaline cartilage. The clinical features of TMJ are pain, limitation in the joint movement, crepitus, difficulty in opening mouth, etc.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT DISEASE (TMJ)?
Painful TMJ disease can occur in the following conditions:
- When the disc moves out of its proper alignment or due to its erosion.
- When the joint gets damaged.
- When the joint’s cartilage is damaged by arthritis.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT DISEASE (TMJ)?
- Pain and tenderness in jaw joint area, ear, and face. Pain can also occur in shoulder and neck regions.
- Grating or popping sounds while opening the mouth.
- Difficulty in chewing
- Swelling that occurs either on one side or both sides of the face.
- Jaw gets stuck while opening or closing the mouth.
It can be diagnosed by observing the range of motion in the jaw, by pressing on the areas around the jaw to identify the sites of pain and discomfort.
If the problem is suspected, then it is confirmed by the dental X-rays to examine the teeth and jaw, CT Scan to provide the detailed images of the bones that are involved in the joint or MRI to detect the problems in the joint’s disk or surrounding the soft tissues.
In some cases, the TMJ disorder goes away without treatment. The modern medical system provides treatment such as pain reliever, anti-inflammatory medications, muscle relaxants, tricyclic antidepressants, etc.
WHAT IS THE AYURVEDIC PERSPECTIVE OF TMJ DISEASE?
This disease is known as Hanustambha in Ayurveda which is caused due to the vitiation of all the three doshas especially the Vata dosha (increased Vata dosha). The symptoms of TMJ are due to khara (roughness) and rooksha (dryness) properties of Vata dosha. Increased Vata dosha causes the obstruction in the channels which causes the hindrance in the movements of jaws.
Reference: Astanga Hridayam Sutrasthanam, Chapter No. 11, Shloka No. 2
Meaning: In this shloka, functions of Vata dosha are explained. Vata is responsible for all the movements such as movement of blood in the blood vessels, movement of nutrients, movement of air in the lungs, locomotion, etc.
In the normal state, Vata is responsible for causing enthusiasm in the body, regulating the respiration process, locomotor movements, all the activities of mind, speech, initiation of natural urges, maintenance of the dhatus or tissues in the normal state and proper functioning of the sense organs.
HOW AYURVEDA CAN HELP IN THE TREATMENT OF TMJ DISEASE?
Planet Ayurveda offers TMJ Care Pack which strengthens the muscles of the jaw, balances the Vata dosha and helps in reducing pain in a natural way.
TMJ CARE PACK BY PLANET AYURVEDA INCLUDES
- Boswellia Curcumin Capsules
- Ashwagandha Capsules
- Joint Aid Plus
- Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras
- Maha Rasnadi Kwath
- Mahatriphala Ghrit
- Nirgundi Oil
- Orthovita Oil
1. Boswellia Curcumin Capsules
Planet Ayurveda offers Boswellia Curcumin Capsules for TMJ disease. These capsules contain the standardized extracts of the two herbs Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Turmeric (Curcuma longa). Both the herbs are anti-inflammatory and analgesic in nature. These capsules act as an excellent herbal remedy to relieve pain and swelling associated with TMJ disease.
Dose: Take 2 capsules twice daily with warm water after taking meals.
2. Ashwagandha Capsules
Planet Ayurveda uses the standardized extract of Withania somnifera to prepare Ashwagandha Capsules. It is one of the useful herbs for strengthening the muscles and joints, balancing Vata dosha, bringing down inflammation, etc. All these qualities make it a suitable herb for the treatment of TMJ disease in an effective and natural way.
Dose: Take 1 capsule twice daily with warm water after taking meals.
3. Joint Aid Plus
Joint Aid Plus is one of the most effective formulations offered by Planet Ayurveda for the treatment of TMJ disease. The herbs contained in this formulation have anti-inflammatory, analgesic, muscle and joint strengthening properties which provide relief naturally in the treatment of TMJ Disease.
Ingredients Of Joint Aid Plus Capsules Are:
Dose: Take 2 capsules twice daily with warm water after taking meals.
4. Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras
Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras is a classical ayurvedic product which is helpful in maintaining the healthy functioning of the brain and supports healthy digestion.
Ingredients Of Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras Are:
- Swarna Bhasma – Swarna Bhasma (Calx of gold) is helpful in improving the stamina and quality of semen. Useful in general weakness and enhances immunity. Has anti-paralytic and cardio-protective properties. Deals with neurological and cardiovascular disorders easily.
- Rajata Bhasma – Rajata Bhasma (Calx of silver) promotes a healthy cardiovascular system and reduces pain and inflammation. Helpful in supporting healthy kidney functions and managing healthy skin.
- Abhraka Bhasma – Abhraka Bhasma (Calx of Mica) improves digestion and reduces weakness and anxiety. Has Kapha Balancing property.
- Loha Bhasma – Loha Bhasma (Calx of Iron) is helpful in iron deficiency and has healing properties. Balances Pitta and Kapha doshas and increases memory and strength.
- Pravala Bhasma – Pravala Bhasma (Calx of Coral) improves strength and digestive fire. It is helpful in balancing tridoshas in the body.
- Mukta Bhasma – Mukta Bhasma (Calx of Pearl) acts as a cardiac tonic and is useful in congenital heart disease which improves the anti-ageing and balances pitta and kapha doshas in the body.
- Suta Bhasma – Helpful in various neurological disorders
- Aloe Vera Juice – Aloe Vera Juice extract has antibacterial and antioxidant properties and is useful in neurological disorders
Dosage – 1 tablet once daily chew it with warm ghee.
5. Maha Rasnadi Kwath
Maha Rasnadi Kwath is a classical Ayurvedic product which is formulated by planet ayurveda and is helpful in pacifying the Vata doshas and detoxifying the endotoxins and increasing the production of new cells.
Ingredients Of Maha Rasnadi Kwath Are:
- Javasa – Javasa (Alhagi pseudalhagi) is helpful in the treatment of skin diseases. Helpful in balancing kapha and pitta doshas. Useful in reducing fat and cholesterol and has anti-inflammatory properties. Supports a healthy digestive system and increases the physical strength of the body.
- Bala – Bala (Sida cordifolia) is helpful in balancing tridoshas of the body and is anti-inflammatory in nature and reduces the petechial haemorrhage. Reduces chest congestion.
- Erand – Erand (Ricinus communis) balances Vata and Kapha doshas, cures the vata related disorders such as arthritis and has diuretic properties (urine retention)
- Devdaru – Devdaru (Cedrus deodara) balances Vata and Kapha doshas and cleanses the infected wound, relieving Ama doshas.
- Kachoor – Kachoor (Curcuma zedoaria) is helpful in treating fever and skin diseases. Cleanses mouth and removes bad breath like congestion and reduces phlegm.
- Vacha – Vacha (Acorus calamus) balances Kapha and Vata doshas, is digestive in nature which relieves Ama doshas and is useful in improving digestion strength.
- Vasa – Vasa (Adhatoda vasica) balances Kapha and Pitta doshas which is helpful in bleeding disorders as it detoxifies the blood and is used as a cardiac tonic.
- Sonth – Sonth (Zingiber officinale) is rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Balances Kapha doshas, helpful in gas and bloating.
- Badi Harad – Badi Harad (Terminalia chebula) subsides the tridoshas of the body and is helpful in strengthening the nervous system. Reduces cough and promotes a healthy respiratory system.
- Chavya – Chavya (Piper retrofractum) is helpful in treating indigestion and in abdominal colic. Balances Kapha and Vata doshas.
- Nagarmotha – Nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus) is helpful in reducing the burning sensation and improving lactation. Balances Kapha and Pitta doshas.
- Giloy – Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) has quick healing properties which are helpful in stimulating digestion and alleviating Kapha and Vata doshas. Boosts the immune system and removes extra toxins from the body.
- Vidhara Mool – Vidhara Mool (Ipomoea petaloidea) is Kapha Pitta Shamak, which is helpful in relieving skin diseases. Improves digestion strength and immunity.
- Saunf – Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare) balances Vata and Kapha doshas. Helpful in respiratory conditions and improves strength and immunity.
- Gokhru – Gokhru (Tribulus Terrestris) increases the enhancement property, Helpful in balancing the tridoshas of the body. Helpful in providing strength to the muscles.
- Ashwagandha – Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is helpful for the treatment of stress and anxiety is helpful in providing strength to the muscles and is rich in antioxidants.
- Atees – Atees (Aconitum heterophyllum) balance tridoshas of the body, mainly Kapha and Pitta doshas. Has carminative property which is helpful in absorbing excess water from the body.
- Amaltas – Amaltas (Cassia fistula) balances Kapha and Pitta doshas, Maintains the digestive fire and is good for cardiac patients.
- Shatavari – Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) balances Vata and Pitta doshas. Provides strengthened property and promotes immunity. Enhances the level of white blood cells.
- Pippali – Pippali (Piper longum) is a unique spice which is useful in indigestion and has anti-ageing properties. Balances Vata and Kapha doshas.
- Dhania – Dhania (Coriandrum sativum) treats various ailments as it has anti-diabetic and anti-microbial properties. Balances and controls all tridoshas of the body.
- Badi Kateri – Badi Kateri (Solanum indicum) balances Vata and Kapha doshas, is rich in antioxidants and has neuroprotective properties. Stimulates and strengthens the heart and improves the condition of oedema.
- Choti Kateri – Choti Kateri (Solanum surattense) is helpful in the treatment of cold and cough. It possesses Anti-inflammatory properties, improves the strength of digestion and is used in respiratory disorders.
- Punarnava – Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa) is a diuretic in nature and rejuvenates the cells of the kidney and balances the fluid in the body which eliminates the waste from the body.
- Piyavasa – Piyavasa (Barleria prionitis) is helpful in the treatment of skin diseases and acts as a blood purifier. Reduces vitiated Vata and Kapha doshas. Is helpful in improving the strength and immunity in the body.
- Rasna – Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata) is helpful in reducing the vitiated Vata and Kapha doshas. It Relieves Ama doshas and is useful in the enlargement of the abdomen.
- Dhatki Pushpa – Dhatki Pushpa (Woodfordia fruticosa) Balances Pitta and Kapha doshas, helpful in restoring the normal colour of the urine. Reduces thirst and other mouth-related disorders.
- Gur – Gur (Saccharum officinarum) is a good substitute for sugar. Promotes digestion strength and cleanses intestines and faeces. Relieves excessive heat from the body.
Dosage – 2 teaspoons twice daily with an equal amount of water.
6. Mahatriphala Ghrit
Maha Triphala Ghrit is a classical Ayurvedic product which is manufactured by planet Ayurveda. It is helpful in treating the disorders of the eyes and has antioxidant and neuroprotective activity.
Ingredients Of Mahatriphala Ghrit Are:
- Triphala – Triphala (Amalaki, Bibhitaki, Haritaki) contains three fruits, which are helpful in reducing inflammation and helps in treating constipation. Has antiviral and antibacterial properties, commonly treats diabetes and regulates blood sugar levels.
- Bhringraj – Bhringraj (Eclipta alba) is useful in liver diseases and balances pitta doshas which promote the flow of bile. Has Deepan and Pachan properties and improves the metabolism of the body.
- Vasa – Vasa (Adhatoda vasica) is helpful in treating asthma and various respiratory disorders. Balances Kapha and Pitta doshas are helpful in bleeding disorders as it detoxifies the blood.
- Shatavari – Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) balances Pitta and Vata doshas, provides strength and promotes the immunity of the body.
- Amalaki – Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) is helpful in balancing the tridoshas of the body. Useful in inducing purgation and curing bleeding disorders and pacifying the kapha doshas in the body.
- Giloy – Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) reduces the Ama (endotoxins) from the body. Has antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. Balanced tridoshas of the body relieve a burning sensation. Useful in skin disorders and reduces excess uric acid and toxins from the body.
- Pipal – Pipal (Ficus religiosa) enhances the skin complexion and is useful in infertility. Reduces the vitiated Kapha and Pitta doshas and is useful in menstrual irregularities and in various infectious disorders.
- Mishri – Mishri (Saccharum officinarum) has diuretic and aphrodisiac properties. Reduces the vitiated Vata and Pitta doshas and is a natural coolant which is beneficial for the functioning of inner organs.
- Munnaka – Munnaka (Vitis vinifera) is helpful in improving the quality of voice. Balances Vata and Pitta’s doshas are a rich source of antioxidants so keep the blood pure and healthy.
- Triphala (Amalaki, Bibhitaki and Haritaki) – Triphala (Emblica officinalis, Terminalia chebula and Terminalia bellirica) Balances Kapha and Pitta doshas and is helpful in urinary tract disorders. Enables the easy movement of the bowel from the body, and kindles digestion strength.
- Nilofer – Nilofer (Nymphaea alba) balances pitta and kapha doshas, helpful in chronic diarrhoea. Helpful in burning sensation and in gastritis.
- Mulethi – Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is helpful in balancing Vata and Pitta doshas and is effective in respiratory conditions. It is helpful in supporting a healthy digestive system and lowering the acid level in the intestines.
- Kshir Kakoli – Kshir Kakoli (Lilium polyphyllum) is helpful in nourishing body tissues and cleansing urinary tract problems. Useful in increasing the production of milk.
- Guduchi – Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) is an immune modulator herb which is helpful in alleviating vata and kapha doshas. Stimulates the digestion and cures constipation and bleeding disorders.
- Choti Kateri – Choti Kateri (Solanum surattense) has anti-inflammatory properties and is helpful in relieving hiccups. Balances Vata and Kapha doshas. Improves digestion strength and use in respiratory disorders.
Dosage – 1 teaspoon twice daily with warm water.
7. Nirgundi Oil
Planet Ayurveda’s Nirgundi Oil is prepared from Vitex negundo and other useful herbs such as Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Haridra (Curcuma longa) and Kalihari (Gloriosa superba). This oil acts as an analgesic and mostly useful in inflammatory conditions.
8. Orthovita Oil
Orthovita Oil by Planet Ayurveda is a blend of different herbs that provides strength to the joints, reduces pain, improves mobility, reduces swelling and stiffness, pacifies Vata dosha, etc. Ingredients of Orthovita oil are Shulgajendra Oil, Gandhpura Oil, Tarpin Oil, Saindhavadi Oil, Prasarani Oil, and Camphor.
Vata dosha is the key factor in the causation of TMJ disease and oils have the quality to pacify Vata dosha.
How To Use: Mix Nirgundi Oil & Orthovita Oil and massage on TM joint.
DIET FOR TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT DISEASE (TMJ) DISEASE
- Include calcium and magnesium rich foods in the diet such as soaked almonds, walnuts, watermelon seeds, green leafy vegetables, seeds such as sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, bananas, etc. should be included in the diet.
- Keep yourself hydrated through increased water intake.
- Massaging the joint with warm oil is also recommended because unctuous properties of the oil are opposite to the qualities of Vata dosha thus, helps in reducing the crepitation.