ABOUT SWARN MAKSHIK BHASMA
Swarn makshik bhasma is a classic Ayurvedic mineral preparation, prepared out of swarna makshika. Swarna makshika is included under ‘Maharasa’ in Rasashastra. It is an excellent health promoter and used in the treatment of diabetes, digestive ailments etc.
Swarna Makshik Bhasma is rasayana and is highly aphrodisiac.
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Purification or detoxification process: 3 parts of swarna makshika along with 1 part of saindhava lavana is macerated well in a mortar. It is then fried in an iron pan along with nimbu swarasa (lemon juice). Frying is continued until the mixture turns to brown. Then it is washed in water for 3 or 4 times.
- Marana process: shudh swarna makshika is again macerated well in nimbu swarasa (lemon juice). Small cakes are made. It is heated in clay pots and is subjected to 10 varaha putas. The resultant yield is swarn makshik bhasma.
Size Per Unit: 5 Gms
AYURVEDIC PROPERTIES OF SWARN MAKSHIK BHASMA
(REF: RASA RATNA SAMUCCHAYA)
- Rasa (taste on tongue) – tikta (bitter), madhura (sweet)
- Varna (color) – red color
- Guna (property) – laghu (light)
- Veerya (potency) – sita (cold)
- Vipaka (taste after digestion) – katu
- Dosha Prabhava (effect on tridosha) – pacifies vata, pitta & kapha, mainly kapha pitta hara
- Karma (action) – balya, yogavahi, rasayana, vrushya, chakshushya
- Vyadhi Prabhava (effect on diseases) – pandu, prameha, kushta, krimi, jeerna jwara
- Effect on dhatu – rasa, rakta & majja
- Beneficial organs – stomach, intestine, liver, heart, testes, mind
DOSAGE OF SWARN MAKSHIK BHASMA
- Infants & children: 2.5 mg per kg. Maximum dosage – 250 mg
- Adults & geriatrics: 125 mg to 375 mg
- Pregnancy: 125 mg
- Lactation: 125 mg to 375 mg
- Maximum dosage should be 750 mg.
- Common adjuvant: triphala, trikatu, vidanga (Embelia ribes), ghee or honey.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF SWARN MAKSHIK BHASMA
Swarna makshika is chalco pyrite or copper pyrite. Chemical formula – Cu2SFe2S3
Chemically swarna makshik is composed of copper, iron & sulphur. These are some of the essential nutrients for the proper functions of the body. As we all know copper and iron are essential for the formation of red blood cells. Copper helps in iron absorption and iron helps in the production of hemoglobin.
Iron helps in improving brain function & strengthening muscle growth.
Copper helps to regulate the heart beat. Also it helps in the functioning of thyroid hormones. Copper is also helpful in reducing cholesterol and helps in quick wound healing.
Some of the properties of Swarn makshik bhasma are:
- Hematinic (increases hemoglobin levels) & Hematogenic (helps in formation of red blood cells)
- Health promoter
- Highly aphrodisiac
- Good for eyes
- Anti helmintic & anti poisonous
- Anti depressant
- Improves the functions of brain
- Anti hypertensive
- Blood purifier and cardiac tonic
- Anti aging
- Strengthens the muscle growth
- Anti pruritic
- Anti ulcerogenic
- Antioxidant and hence accounts for the anti aging effects on skin. It is administered along with cow’s urine for this purpose.
THERAPEUTIC INDICATIONS OF SWARN MAKSHIK BHASMA
- Headache – if associated with pulsating pain & burning sensation
- Hyperacidity with sour taste in the mouth
- Chronic Gastritis
- Tuberculosis & phthisis
- Mouth ulcer
- Peptic Ulcer
- Ulcerative colitis
- Membranous dysmenorrhea
- Heat sensation
- Burning sensation
- Chronic low grade fever
- Joint weakness
- Burning sensation in the eyes
- Burning micturition
- Bleeding piles
- Itching & other skin diseases
COMBINATION OF SWARN MAKSHIK BHASMA & OTHER MEDICINES
- In Sandra meha (a kind of prameha) – swarna makshika bhasma macerated well in sala saradhi gana kashaya for 12 times is taken internally.
- In Yakshma – Swarn makshik bhasma is taken along with silajatu, abhraka bhasma, vidanga churna (Embelia ribes) and honey.
- In Inflammation (sotha) – swarna makshik bhasma is taken along with punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa) or guduci (Tinospora cordifolia) or daruharidra (Berberis aristata).
- In Urinary retention – swarna makshika bhasma is taken along with yavakshara.
- In Intermittent fevers – swarna makshika bhasma is taken along with ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum) and karanja choorna (Pongamia pinnata).
- In Cough – it is taken along with pippali choorna (Piper longum).
- In Bleeding disorders – Swarn makshik bhasma is taken along with kajjali and honey.
- In Severe gestational fever – swarna makshik bhasma is taken along with rasa sindoora, abhraka bhasma, and trikatu.
- In Bleeding during pregnancy – 125 mg of Swarn makshik bhasma is taken along with karjura (dates – Phoenix dactlyifera).
- In Gestational fever & painful diarrhea – Swarn makshik bhasma is taken along with ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum), bilva (Aegle marmelos), bala, and ginger juice and saariva (Hemidesmus indica) kwatha.
- For health Promotion – 1 part rasa sindoora and 2 parts of Swarn makshik bhasma is taken.
CAUTION & SIDE EFFECTS
Pregnant ladies & breast feeding mothers should take Swarn makshik bhasma under the strict supervision of an Ayurveda physician. During pregnancy & lactation, copper and iron are needed in plenty. Also most of the pregnant ladies suffer from gestational anemia. Swarn makshik bhasma is well suited in this condition.
Self medication and over dosage is dangerous. It should be taken in exact dosage for a limited period of time.
If any of the following symptoms are noted:-
- Burning sensation, redness or pain in eyes
- Skin rashes
- Abdominal fullness & flatulence etc.
Immediately consult with your doctor. Also kulatta kwatha (horse gram – Macrotyloma uniflorum) or dadima twak kwatha (Punica granatum) should be taken.
Store the medicine in cool dry place.
Note :- This is pure classical Ayurvedic medicine and should be strictly consumed only after prescription of an Ayurvedic doctor and to be taken under medical supervision only.