The roles of metals and minerals in human physiology are well established, as they are required in trace amounts for the normal metabolism and the deficiency of some metals and minerals leads to diseases. In Ayurveda, there are many metals-based formulations, which are known as Bhasmas. Here in this article, we are going to discuss one of the Ayurvedic metal-based formulations – Yashad Bhasma.
Yashad bhasma or Jasad bhasma is a classical mineral-based Ayurvedic formulation in a calx form prepared from the purified zinc. Yashad bhasma is a zinc-based ayurvedic preparation that is used in the management of various ailments like eye disorders, cough, asthma, anemia, etc. This bhasma is a natural zinc supplement and is widely used in zinc deficiency, and as an immunomodulatory medicine. Yashad bhasma has good results in malaria, parasitic diseases, respiratory infections, diabetes, and skin disorders.
- Prameha, Netra-vikara
- Reference – Ayurveda Sara Sangraha, Shodhana Marana,
Page – 121
– Siddhi Yog Sangrah
– Ras Tarangini
- Pure Zinc
- Aloe vera juice
Description of Ingredients
- Pure Zinc – zinc is a naturally occurring mineral that plays an important role in the healthy functioning of the human body. Zinc is found naturally from rock or soil, however, it is present in plants, animals, air, water, and humans. Sources of zinc to humans are – seafood, fish, animal meat, pumpkin seeds, garlic, tomato, grains, cereals, milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. The naturally occurring Zinc is purified to remove toxins and then used for the preparation of bhasma. It has antioxidants, aphrodisiac properties and is used in boosting immunity, treating diarrhea, common cold, control diabetes, macular degeneration, wound healing, and many other ailments.
- Aloe Vera Juice – Kumari or Ghritkumari or aloe-vera is the most popular classical herb, belongs to the Liliaceae family. Properties of aloe vera juice are – Rasa – tikta (bitter), Guna – guru (heavy), Snigdha (unctuous), pichilla (sticky), Virya – sheet (cold), Vipaka – katu (pungent), balances all the three doshas. The juice of aloe vera is mainly used in many ayurvedic preparations due to its antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, analgesic, antiseptic, and aphrodisiac properties.
Method of Preparation
- Purified zinc is grinded to a fine powder.
- Now put it on an iron pan and let it melt.
- Triturate this powder with aloe vera juice and make round, flat cakes.
- Put these cakes in a sealed container and heat them at a temperature of 800 – 900 degrees celsius for 5 hours.
- Repeat this process for 7 times.
- The final preparation is then stored in an air-tight container for future use.
Yashad bhasma is a natural supplement of Zinc as it is widely used in zinc deficiency disorders. Yashad bhasma has antacid, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, digestive stimulant, haematinic (increases Hb levels), hematogenic (helps in the formation of RBCs), and immunomodulatory properties. Due to these properties, this formulation is useful in all types of fevers and infections. This bhasma is useful in respiratory disorders, eye disorders, blood disorders, and also in diabetes.
- In sore throat and tonsillitis, it is given along with Sitopaladi churna, praval pishti, and tulsi.
- In viral infections, it is mixed with Sitopladi churna.
- In ulcerative colitis or peptic ulcer, it is given along with Mulethi, Vanshlochan, and Giloy satva.
- In diabetes, it is given along with Shatavari and Sarivadi vati and taken with lukewarm milk or decoction of lal Chandan.
- In case of diarrhea, it is mixed with Mishri and taken with honey or buttermilk.
- In tuberculosis, it is given along with Moti pishti, sitopaladi churna, vasavaleha and taken with goat’s milk.
- In anemia, it is given along with Mandur bhasma and taken with honey.
- Chronic low-grade fever
- General debility after fever
- Zinc deficiency
- Acute diarrhea in children
- Slow wound healing
- Recurrent common cold
- Recurrent ear infections
- Macular degeneration
- Night blindness
- Memory loss
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Severe head injuries
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- High blood pressure
- Sickle cell disease
- Seasonal flu
- Lower respiratory infections
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Peptic ulcers
- Anorexia nervosa
- Loss of appetite
- Burning mouth syndrome
- Weak bones (osteoporosis)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Muscle cramps
- Aging skin
- Premature graying of hairs
- Herpes simplex
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Male infertility
- Erectile dysfunction (ED)
125 mg, twice daily, after meals with honey or as directed by your ayurvedic physician.
Honey, milk-cream, butter, mishri, giloy satva, or as directed by your physician.
- Higher doses can cause nausea, vomiting, or gastritis.
- This medicine should be avoided during pregnancy, in lactating mothers, and in kids.
- Always use this medicine under medical supervision, as this formulation contains zinc.
Yashad bhasma or Jasad bhasma is a mineral-based formulation as it contains zinc, so the use of this formulation for a longer period and in higher doses can decrease the copper level in the body. So this medicine should always be used under proper medical supervision. However, studies have shown that this formulation has very effective results in diabetes, respiratory disorders, anemia, eye disorders, and is a good immune booster. We hope the above-mentioned details and benefits of yashad bhasma will be beneficial for you.
Note :- This is pure classical Ayurvedic medicine and should be strictly consumed only after prescription of an Ayurvedic doctor and to be taken under medical supervision only.
There are no reviews yet.