Rasa shastra and bhaishajya kalpana are the ancient branch of Ayurvedic medical science which is typically based on mineral or herbo mineral preparation. Tankan bhasma is described in rasashastra and is exclusively made using tankan (Borax) alone. This formulation has a wide range of therapeutic uses and has been used for a very long time in Ayurveda. In this article we will focus on the properties of tankan, tankan bhasma preparation, its action, uses and dosage in detail.
Tankan bhasma is a classical Ayurvedic preparation which is prepared using calcined borax or suhaga. It is mentioned under uparasa, which is one among the kshara trayas. Tankan has many properties and has a very great effect in conditions associated with vata imbalance, in many respiratory conditions along with some abdominal problems as well. It works for the female reproductive system thus balancing the imbalance doshas. The preparation can be given to any age group under controlled doses.
Tankan (Borax) is a very important mineral whose benefits are generally less known by common man. Tankan, as mentioned earlier is being described under uparasa. In addition rasagranthas have included tankan under the group of ksharvarga, ksharapanchaka (5 caustic or alkaline substances), dravaka gana (in liquid form), mitra panchak (5 substances that help in maintaining high temperature while melting metals like gold, silver etc.) Tankan is very important as an antidote to vatsanabha (Aconitum ferox) and is used in all preparations containing vatsanabha.
It has many synonyms and some of them are mentioned below:
Tankana, tankanakshara, rasakshara, rasadhika, lohadravi, rasa ghana, subhaga, rangadh, malatiteerasambhutam, kshara shrestha
Vernacular Names of Tankan
In english it is called Borax and in hindi it is known as suhaga. Typically in kannada it is known by the name tankan.
Types of Tankan
Tankan has types according to appearance as well as colour.
Tankan Types According To Appearance:
Tankan Types According To Colour:
- Pidakya (dirty white)
- Sandanaka (Pure white)
Properties of Tankan
Tankan has various properties which makes it potent enough to be used in various kinds of diseases. It has inherent properties like tikshna, laghu, sara and rukshana which means it is sharp, light and dry i nature.Due to its sara guna it is having potential to access the microchannels in the body thus performing his work even better by pacifying deep seated doshas.
It has ushna veerya which means tankan is hot in potency. The vipaka or after digestion taste is amla (sour) which makes it a very good vata pacifier and Its rasa is katu (pungent) which makes it a potent kapha pacifier but aggravates pitta dosha (Pittakrut).
(Effect on dosha: V-, K-, P+)
Vata and kapha dosha pacification
Borax or tankan is believed to enhance or improve the natural ability of the body to absorb calcium and magnesium. Calcium and magnesium do have their importance in the body because they regulate many important functions. Following are some very important medicinal uses of tankan:
- The formulation is useful in treating cough and bronchitis.
- It also has a very good effect on arthritis due to its calcium absorbing effect.
- Best for managing food poisoning.
- Helps in induction of menstruation especially in cases of amenorrhea or oligomenorrhea. It is very helpful in poly cystic ovarian syndrome and it manages symptoms like hot flashes and night sweats in menopausal females too. This formulation is very effective in painful menstruation and clotted menstruation as well. In menopausal females tankan can balance the falling levels of estrogen.
- Tankan bhasma is very useful in dandruff also. You can apply it to the scalp for 5-10 minutes and then wash.
- Application of tankan bhasma is effective in mouth ulcers, cracks and even in tongue fissures. The paste of tankan bhasma is prepared along with juice of cannabis leaves and is applied internally.
- It is very useful in urinary infections as it has an antimicrobial effect. Moreover, it has a mild positive effect in getting rid of small renal stones.
- Works really great in chronic tonsillitis (Gargling with tankan bhasma after dissolving with water is really helpful in managing and relieving tonsillitis)
- Tankan enhances female libido too. It is known to stabilize the calcium and magnesium levels in the blood and thus is responsible for stimulating female hormones. In addition it helps in normalizing fungal and microbe growth thus resulting in enhanced libido of females.
- Tankan properties are so powerful that they can even cure womb infections also. A female with womb infection is asked to soak herself in lukewarm water mixed with borax at least two times a day.
- Even in cases of egg white discharge or leukorrhea, wash vagina with lukewarm water mixed with tankan bhasma.
- Borax use even alleviates painful sex in females, abdominal distention and false signs of pregnancy.
- Borax also stimulates testosterone levels in males thus can be used as a boon by bodybuilders and athletes or other sports men.
- In cancer therapy, it can be used to mimic various antibodies.
Dosage : 125 mg to 250 mg of tankan bhasma is to be administered with honey or ghee. Else it can be given with lukewarm water.
In udara roga – Tankan bhasma along with trikatu or jamalgota
Dantaveshtana shool or shotha (dental caries) – Tankan bhasma with bala churna can be used
Hoarseness of voice – Tankan to chew
Flatulence/bloating – Tankan along with trikatu and madhu
Tankana which is named as tankanakhara or tankanakshara due to its properties is very useful in many ailments. Tankan in the form of bhasma is very easy to consume and does not cause any kind of side effects on the body but in turn builds its strength and immunity. In various texts it has been mentioned along with its medicinal properties. As mentioned above it plays a key role in many female reproductive disorders and also has its effect even in mukha roga (diseases related to oral cavity). Even in cancer its use is being described and along with various anupana it can give marvelous results. In case of any query kindly visit www.planetayurveda.com