It is an ayurvedic classical herbomineral preparation, A lauh preparation because it has lauh bhasma as the main ingredient of this preparation. It is mainly used for the pandu (Anemia). It is named as navayas loh as it has 9 herbs (Nava) and ayasa is known as lauh or iron hence it is known as navayas lauh. It will also be helpful in treatment of skin diseases.
Ingredients Used in Navayas Loha
It contains the following ingredients which are mentioned below:
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellerica)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Lauha bhasma (Iron calx)
Ref. Ayurvedic Text – [ Ayurvedic formulary of India (AFI-2) // Charaksamhita, chikitsa sthana Adhyaya 16; 70-71 ]
Description Of The Ingredients
Medicinal properties and usage of each and every ingredients are mentioned below:
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale): Dry ginger is known as sonth it has been kept in groups like triptighana (Relieve pseudo-satiation), Arshoghni (Relieve piles), deepniya (Improves digestion), shoolaprashmana (Treats abdominal pain), Trishna nigrahan (Relieve thirst) it is classified in these subgroups as shunthi has pungent taste with heavy, dry and strong, piercing in nature also it has hot potency. It undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion so it will not increase pitta dosha in excess in the body.
- Maricha (Piper nigrum): It is a spice which has many benefits which is found in our kitchen. It is pungent in taste and is light to digest with strong and piercing nature and enters the deep and minute body channels of the body. Maricha helps in balancing the kapha and vata dosha in the body. It is neither very hot nor cold and it improves the taste so it is used in anorexia. It has a scraping effect on the intestines due to which it induces the cleaning effect of the intestines. It helps in digesting the ama dosha from the body and cleans the body channels.
- Pippali (Piper longum): It is known as the long pepper and churna of the pippali is used for making this formulation. Dried form of the pippali is used for making this formulation which has pungent taste and hot potency. It undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion means it has madhur vipaka and balances kapha and vata doshas. It increases the digestive strength and metabolism of the body so can be used in indigestion and relieves ama dosha.
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula): Its fruit parts are used for making this formulation. This herb is kept in the group of herbs like triphala (Group of three herbs), jwara ghana (Antipyretic), kushta ghana (Treats skin diseases), arshoghna (Treats piles), kasa ghana (Treats cough). It has light and dry properties and has 5 tastes in it which are sweet, sour, pungent, bitter, and astringent so it is helpful in alleviating tridoshas in the body. It helps in boosting the metabolism and has rejuvenating properties due to which it helps in growth of tissues.
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellerica): It has been classified in groups such as jwarahara (Treating fever), kasahara (Treats cough), Virechnopag (Used for purgation) etc. which has astringent taste. It is light to the digits and dry in nature. Potency is hot so it will help in balancing kapha and pitta dosha. It has a laxative effect, It helps in detoxifying blood, lymph, muscles and fatty tissues of the body.
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis): It is a rejuvenating herb which helps in regrowth and rejuvenation of the tissues. It is helpful in treating disorders such as anemia, it is helpful in balancing the pitta dosha but has an effect on all the three doshas. Potency of the amla is cold. It is also useful for the bleeding disorders and it is anti-aging and also relieves burning sensation from the body. Amalaki is good for the heart, aphrodisiac in nature and is very good for eyes, helps in improving vision.
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus): Roots of the musta are used for making this formulation which has a bitter, pungent and astringent taste. It is light to digest, causes dryness, Potency of this herb is cool so it balances pitta dosha. As it is light and dry in nature, it also balances kapha dosha. It is grahi (absorbent) in nature, improves digestion, and can be used in anorexia. It helps in maintaining liver function, supports healthy skin and blood.
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes): Fruits of vidanga are used for making this formulation which are pungent and astringent in taste. Potency is hot, it undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion and it is light to digest. It has a special effect that it helps in treating the worm infestation of intestines. Vidanga helps in balancing the vata dosha from the body, relieves constipation as it eases the movement of contents in the intestinal tract.
- Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica): Its roots are used for the making of this formulation which has been classified in subgroups such as deepniya (Hebs improving appetite), shoola prashmana (Relieving abdominal colic), arshoghni (Herbs treating piles) etc. taste of chitrak is pungent, which is light to digest and dry and piercing in nature. Potency of chitrak is hot and it undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion.
- Lauha bhasma (Iron calx): Purified iron is used in making this formulation and loh bhasma has medicinal properties like it helps in increasing the hemoglobin levels in the body, lowers the bilirubin, burns excess fat from the body, digestive stimulant, also a best digestive stimulant. It can be indicated in iron deficiency anemia, general debility, liver enlargement, spleen enlargement, hiatus hernia, weakness due to bleeding disorders etc.
Method Of Preparation
Following method of preparation is used for making this formulation:
All the herbs are reduced to fine powder and then iron calx is mixed. It should really be a fine powder and the iron calx which is used should be well prepared. From this mixture tablets can also be made for easy consumption.
It has different medicinal properties which are described below:
- It has hepatoprotective agent
- Antihepatotoxic property
- Helps in improving rakta dhatu (Blood tissue)
- Acts as an appetizer
- Channel cleanser
- Rejuvenating agent
It has its main action on vata and pitta dosha.
It can be taken in the dose of 250 mg per day.
Classically it is indicated in disorders which are mentioned below:
- Pandu (Anemia)
- Hridayaroga (Heart disorders)
- Kushtha (Skin disorders)
- Arsha (Piles)
- Kamala (Jaundice)
This formulation can be used in conditions such as heart diseases such as angina, mitral stenosis, Myocardial infarction, congenital heart diseases, aneurysm etc. It can also be used in piles whether it is bleeding piles or of non bleeding piles. As it acts on the pitta dosha also detoxifies blood so it will help in treating skin disorders such as acne, psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema etc. It is the best medication for the treatment of every kind of anemia as it contains iron so it will help in making the new blood cells and with the other ingredients it will act as a catalyst and rejuvenating agent. As jaundice is the further stage of pandu (Anemia) then it will be helpful in treating jaundice also as this medicine will help in liver stimulation.
This medication does not have any known side effects but it should be taken under the prescription of an expert ayurvedic doctor.
This medication is a loh preparation which can be harmful if it is taken in the wrong form or if it is not purified properly. Planet ayurveda medicines are pure and made from the authentic ways, it is a GMP certified company which provides the best ayurvedic medicines worldwide.
There are no reviews yet.