Kalmeghasav is used to treat liver and spleen disorders. Liver is the largest organ in the body. The liver is located in the upper right quadrant of the abdomen. Liver is a dark reddish-brown organ which weighs about 1.4 to 2 kg. This organ regulates most of the chemical reaction in the blood and excretes a product called bile. It possesses more than 500 vital functions. Due to these properties, the liver also suffers from diseases due to unhealthy diet plans. But to regenerate the liver cells we have a wonderful herbal remedy known as Kalmeghasav. In this article we are going to discuss Kalmeghasav in detail.
Kalmeghasav is a herbo-mineral formulation in liquid form. It is used in the treatment of various liver disorders. This formulation has properties to regenerate the damaged hepatic cells and improves liver function. This formulation also helps in chronic fever, splenomegaly, constipation, etc. It improves the appetite and metabolism of the body.
- Gur (Jaggery) – 166 parts
- Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata) – 50 parts
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) – 10 parts
- Saptaparna (Alstonia scholaris) – 10 parts
- Kutki (Picrorhiza kurroa) – 10 parts
- Karanj patra (Pongamia glabra) – 10 parts
- Kutaj chal (bark of Holarrhena antidysenterica) – 10 parts
- Babool (Acacia arabica) – 4 parts
- Dhataki pushpa (Flowers of Woodfordia cordifolia) – 4 parts
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale) – 1 part
- Pippali (Piper longum) – 1 part
- Rohitak (Tecomella undulata) – 1 part
- Tejpatra (Cinnamomum tamala) – 1 part
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) – 1 part
- Harad (Terminalia chebula) – 1 part
- Baheda (Terminalia bellerica) – 1 part
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) – 1 part
- Elaichi (Amomum subulatum) – 1 part
- Alua (Aloe barbadensis) – 1 part
- Sharpunkha (Tephrosia purpurea) – 1 part
- Loha bhasma (Iron calx) – 1 parts
Reference: Ayurveda sar sangrah/Asava-Arishta Prakaran/727
Description Of The Ingredients
- Kalmegh – This herb is known for its hepatoprotective properties. It is used to prevent the liver cells from damage. It also has antimalarial properties and is helpful in fighting against malarial fever. This herb naturally enhances the immunity of the person.
- Gur – Gur cleanses the whole body and provides relief from infections. It is also useful in improving digestion and hence promotes good liver function. It also prevents constipation due to its digestive properties.
- Giloy – This herb is known as Amrita due to its Tridosha properties. It is a wonderful antipyretic herb. It helps in eases the infection from the body. It also has anti-inflammatory properties. This herb lowers the swelling in the body.
- Saptaparna – It is traditionally used for diarrhea, dysentery, asthma and a few types of fevers. It is famous for its bitter and astringent taste and hence useful in skin disorders. It also acts as a cardiac tonic, improves digestion, relieves constipation, indigestion, etc.
- Kutki – This is traditionally used as a hepatoprotective herb. It helps in improving the liver function naturally. It is used in the treatment of fever, hepatomegaly, liver cirrhosis, diarrhea, jaundice, indigestion, loss of appetite, etc.
- Karanj Patra – It is predominantly used in skin diseases. It is also helpful in relieving skin itching, bloating, piles, worm infestation, etc. It is used for piles due to its astringent and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Kutaj Chal – The bark of kutaj helps in preventing dysentery, diarrhea, relieves pain, alleviates infections, promotes digestion, bleeding piles etc. It has the most prominent benefit in managing diarrhea and dysentery due to its antimicrobial properties.
- Babool – It has healing properties and is useful in wound healing. It also helps in clearing the sputum from the respiratory tract. It also contains antibacterial properties. This herb also has anti-inflammatory, antifungal, astringent, and coolant properties.
- Dhataki Pushpa – These flowers are mainly used for fermentation. It pacifies Pitta dosha. It is helpful in alleviating fever and other pittaj disorders. This is also beneficial in treating diarrhea, piles, dysentery, burning micturition, liver and spleen disorders, etc.
- Shunthi – This is a wonderful appetizer and improves the metabolism of the body. This ingredient benefits a lot of all digestive disorders. Thus useful in treating piles, loss of appetite, flatulence, indigestion, etc.
- Pippali – It manages diabetes, shields against infections, promotes digestion, pacifies respiratory diseases, etc. This is a unique aromatic herb that is traditionally used for digestive and respiratory disorders.
- Rohitak – This is used in the treatment of skin, liver, spleen, diabetes, jaundice, indigestion, loss of appetite, worm infestation, piles, etc diseases.
- Tejpatra – It helps in managing high cholesterol due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It lowers the level of total blood cholesterol, improves the function of liver and spleen. It is also helpful in heart disorders.
- Maricha – This herb improves the function of the digestive tract. It helps in indigestion, flatulence, constipation, dysentery, skin disorders, liver disorders, common cold, etc.
- Harad – This is a wonderful herb because of its vata, pitta and kapha dosha shamak properties. It is used in the treatment of weak digestion, constipation, weight loss, cough, cold, weak immunity, etc.
- Baheda – This is also known as Bibhitaki which means the one that keeps away from diseases. It is used for the management of cold, pharyngitis, constipation, weight loss, loss of appetite, liver problems, etc.
- Dalchini – Dalchini is an aromatic spice that is obtained from the bark of cinnamon genus. It is used as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and cardioprotective. It helps in treating liver, spleen, etc disorders.
- Elaichi – This is the most common spice used in Indian cuisine. It has antioxidant and diuretic properties. It is helpful in relieving acidity, indigestion, liver and spleen problems.
- Alua – It has many health benefits. Some of the health benefits are: it is used in dehydration, skin infections, improves liver functions, relieves constipation, relieves heartburn, improves digestion, etc.
- Sharpunkha – It has been found very effective in viral hepatitis, liver damage, urinary tract infections, cold, cough, dyspepsia, splenomegaly, etc.
- Loha Bhasma – Loha bhasma is a mineral formulation that is useful in iron deficiency anemia. It also helps in weakness and provides strength to the body. It has a nice role in digestive disorders and is helpful in liver and spleen disorders.
Method Of Preparation
- Take required quantity of water and add gur in the water.
- This water is boiled and cooled.
- After that, pour this water in the fermentation pot, vessel or barrel.
- Now make a fine powder of the above mentioned herbs and added in the fermentation pot.
- Now the container is sealed and the edges are covered with clay-smeared cloth in seven consecutive layers.
- Keep it aside in the fermentation room for 21 days.
- After 21 days, filter the fermented liquid to eliminate the remaining impurities.
- This filtered liquid aside for 8-10 days.
- After 10 days again filter this mixture and poured in air-tight containers.
- Use this Asava formulation after 1 year for better results.
Kalmeghasav is a classical Ayurvedic formulation. It is used for the treatment of hepatomegaly, splenomegaly, fever and constipation. It has cholagogue action which means it promotes the discharge of bile. In liver disorders, liver cells start degenerating but this Ayurvedic formulation helps in regenerating the damaged cells. The above-mentioned herbs have digestive, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory and laxative properties. It is also very helpful in all types of fever. It has a great role in child’s jaundice and anemia. It detoxifies the toxins from the rasadi dhatus (bodily tissues) and provides nourishment to the body. This formulation is known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- It pacifies Pitta and kapha dosha
Classical Indications (Rogadhikar)
- Yakrit and pliha roga (Liver and spleen disorders)
- Liver cirrhosis
- Chronic fever
3 teaspoon twice a day with an equal amount of water.
- It should be consumed under the medical supervision.
- Use under medical advice during pregnancy.
Kalmeghasav is a very effective classical Ayurvedic remedy for liver and spleen problems. This formulation is safe to use because it contains no additives, chemicals, or preservatives. These above-mentioned herbs make this formulation a better herbal medicine for overall health of liver and spleen health.