- Ingredients Used in Tagara Powder : Tagar
- Latin Name : Valeriana wallichi
- Parts Used for Medicinal Purpose: Rhizomes and roots
- Plant Type : Herb
- Habitat : Himalayan Temperate regions, Kashmir, Bhutan, Afghanistan.
Tagar is used in neurological, psychological as well as digestive disorders. It calms the mind, strengthens nerves, and prevents convulsions when used in low dosage. It improves the strength of heart muscles and reduces blood pressure. So, it is also included in Ayurvedic antihypertensive medicines.
Names in Different languages
- English Name : Indian Valerian
- Hindi Name : Tagar, Mushakbala, Sugandhabala
- Punjabi Name : Sugandhabala
- Marathi Name : Tagara Moola
- Kannada Name : Mushka Bala
- Gujrati Name : Tagara gantoda, Ghodawaj
- Tamil Name : Tagarai
- Kashmiri Name : Mushkbala, Bala
- Malayalam : Thakaram
- Bengali language : Tagar Paduka
- Urdu Language : Tagar
- Oriya : Tagarapakuda, Jalashiuli
- Natam: The plant is short
- Kutila, Vakra: The rhizome is twisted
- Kalanusari, Barhishta, Shata, Nrupa
Constituents of Tagar
Roots and Rhizomes contain cyclopentapyrans (tranquilizing, sedative and bactericidal properties). Due to Isovaleric Acid, the odor of roots is unpleasant.
Medicinal Properties of Tagar
- Rasa (Taste): Katu (Strong Taste), Tikta (Sour), Kashaya (Constringent)
- Guna: Laghu (Light for Digestion), Snigdha (Slimmy in Nature)
- Veerya (Potency): Ushna (Hot)
- Vipak: Katu (Undergoes Pungent Taste after Digestion)
- Karma (Actions); Tridoshahara – Balances all the three Doshas, especially kaphavata Shamaka (Reduces Vitiated Kapha and Vata Dosha), Vishagna (Controls the Poison of the Body), Raktadoshahar (Blood Purifier) and Manasadoshhara (Cures Psychological Disorders)
Dosage Powder :- ½ to 1 tsp twice daily with plain water after meals.
Health benefits of Tagar powder
- It reduces Vata and Kapha Doshas
- It is the best herb for vata nervous disorders.
- It removes obstruction from nerve channels.
- It cleanses Ama (Undigested Toxins) from blood, colon, joints, and nerves.
- It has sedative as well as the tranquilizing effect on the brain.
- It reduces irritability of brain and spinal marrow.
Medicinal Uses of Tagar powder
Internal as well as External Uses
- Tagar powder is used as antimicrobial, antiparasitic and antispasmodic.
- It is used in arthritis to relieve the pain and applied it externally over the area affected with skin diseases like discoloration of skin and ringworm.
- It is also applied over the area affected with scorpion sting and insect bite and pain due to infection and other wounds.
- It is used in treating the cases of asthma and cough that is associated with Phlegm and in a dose of 25-30 ml to treat paralysis, convulsions, and hysteria.
- It is given as a general tonic regularly for 1-2 weeks in the dose of 30-4ml for general debility.
- It is also given to treat fever.
- The powder of this plant is used in indigestion, pain in stomach and Hepatomegaly given in a dose of 40-50ml.
Some Important Medicinal Properties of Tagar Powder
- Tagar powder is rich in medicinal properties. By understanding the properties of this herb, it will help in better utilization of this herb.
- Tranquilizer: Reduces anxiety and tension
- Antimicrobial: Active against microbes
- Anticonvulsant: prevents or reduces the severity of epileptic fits, or other convulsions.
- Anthelmintic: Antiparasitic, expels parasitic wounds, and other internal parasites from the body.
- Radioprotective: protects against the injurious effect of radiations.
- Antispasmodic: Use to relieve spasm of involuntary muscles
- Carminative: Preventing the formation and causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Analgesic: Relieves Pain
Some Important and Beneficial Uses
Tagar powder has beneficial effects on the brain, mind, heart, spleen, liver, and stomach. Here are some beneficial uses
1. Abdominal Pain and Cramps
It has carminative property and also has antispasmodic action as discussed earlier. Therefore it provides relief from abdominal pain and cramps by relieving spasm of the muscles of the abdomen.
In Ayurveda, use of tagar along with the Pushkarmool and kuth help in treating Asthma by relaxing and dilating the airways and improve the passage of air into the lungs due to its bronchodilator characteristics.
3. Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis
It has both anti-inflammatories as well as analgesic property. A paste of tagar is applied to the affected joints, which alleviates joint pain and inflammation. A hot infusion of tagar reduces the pain in rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
In osteoarthritis, it can also be used for relieving pain. It also provides relief from a backache and other joint pains occurring because of osteoarthritis. And other mechanical abnormalities involving degradation of joints including articular cartilage and subchondral bone. That may include symptoms like stiffness, joint pain, locking, tenderness, and sometimes an effusion.
4. Snake Bite
Along with Kushta powder, it is given in the treatment of snake bite. These both herbs are taken in an equal amount as a high dose to provide relief from snake poisoning. It provides relief in the other symptoms of a snake bite.
Tagar powder has sleep-inducing property, it improves the quality of sleep and also reduces sleep onset latency and increases the duration of NREM sleep. It should be used with Ashwagandha Powder and Jatamansi Powder for better results. This provides relief in insomnia.
6. High Blood Pressure
In Ayurveda, it is used as antihypertensive that lowers the blood pressure and relieves spasm. Its antihypertensive effects appear when it is used in high dosage. As a supportive medication, it is mostly added in some antihypertensive formulations.
7. Menstrual Disorders
Use of tagar powder thrice daily for two menstrual cycles helps in reducing pain and the need of other pain relievers during menstruation. It also provides relief in other symptoms regarding menstruation.
8. Menopausal Symptoms
Intake of Tagar powder daily for 8 weeks reduces the severity and frequency of hot flushes in postmenopausal symptoms.
Tagar powder calms the mind by interfering with brain chemicals that communicate information between nerve cells in the brain. It also provides sleep enhances properties that provide relief. It maintains daytime freshness. It is also useful in other stressful conditions like anxiety, irritability, and sleeplessness.
The advantage of using Tagara powder offered by Planet Ayurveda:
- It is 100% natural
- No coloration
- Prepared from best natural herb
- Testing of the medicine is not done on animals
- Use of only organic products for better results
- Planet Ayurveda offering these products at reasonable and competitive prices.