ABOUT PRAVAL (MOOL) PISHTI
Praval (Mool) Pishti is a classical Ayurvedic herbo-mineral preparation, prepared from coral. It has many therapeutic indications and is also taken as dietary supplement.
Human bones and coral shares almost similar chemical structure and this similarity is made beneficial in bone grafting operations.
PREPARATION OF PRAVAL (MOOL) PISHTI
- Purification & Detoxification Process: Praval is fomented in Jayanti (Sesbania sesban) swarasa for 1 day by using dola yantra.
- Marana Proces: Purified Praval is macerated well in kumari (alo vera) swarasa until it turned into paste form. Small cakes are made and heated in an earthern pot and powdered.
- Pishti Nirmana: Powdered Praval is ground well in gulabi arka (rose water) for 2 to 3 days.
The resultant yield is Praval (Mool) pishti.
Quantity: 5 gms
COMPOSITION OF PRAVAL
Chemically it consists of 87% calcium carbonate, 3% magnesium carbonate, iron, traces of magnesia, 2% silica, 8% organic matter and water.
- Praval (Mool) Pishti can be taken once, twice, or thrice a day. It is usually taken after food along with honey, ghee, or butter.
- Typical range of therapeutic dosage: 125 mg to 1000 mg.
- Maximum possible dosage: 2500 mg
- Dosage ranges from 500 mg to a maximum of 1000 mg when taken as a nutritional supplement. It should be taken under the strict observation of an Ayurveda doctor with a proper adjuvant.
(Ref: Rasatarangini 23)
- Rasa (Taste on Tongue) – Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Kshara (Alkaline) and Amla (Sour)
- Guna (Property) – Laghu (Light), Snigdha (Unctuous), Sheeta (Cold)
- Veerya (Potency) – Sheeta (Cold)
- Vipaka (Taste after Digestion) – Madhura (Sweet)
- Karma (Action) – Dipana, Pachana, Vrddhikara, Pushtikara, Graha Doshahara, Bhutadi Samana, Mangala Dayaka, Sweda Nirgamahara, Balya, Chakshushya, Kanthikara
- Dosha Prabhava (Effect on Doshas) – Tridosha Shamak. It Pacifies Pitta Mainly and Also Alleviates Kapha and Vata.
- Vyadhi Prabhava (Effect On Diseases) – Drushti Roga, Raktaroga, Bhutonmada, The Diseases Caused By The Prakopa Of Mangala Graham Like Agnijanya Bhaya.
Chemically, Praval (Mool) pishti contains calcium carbonate mainly, with traces of magnesium.
Praval (Mool) Pishti has the following properties:
- Anti-inflammatory – mainly in the inflammation as in hepatitis
- Anti-pyretic – its actions are similar to acetaminophen
- Digestive Stimulant
- Immune booster & immune modulator
- Cardiac tonic
- Health promoter
- Good for eyes
- Increases complexion and helps to have glowing skin
- Natural calcium supplement
- Vitamin C supplement
- Coolant in action
- Detoxifier & cleanser (it has cleansing effect on kidney, liver, intestine & blood)
- Excellent supplement of oxygen
- Anti cancer
- Helps to increase the sperm count
Praval (Mool) Pishti is a natural calcium supplement. It provides calcium that can be easily absorbed by the body. This calcium content helps to maintain the health of bones, teeth & cell membranes.
Praval (Mool) Pishti can also acts as a vitamin C supplement. Vitamin C increases the skin health thereby enhancing its luster & texture. It also helps to improve the moisture retention capacity of the skin. Children, teenagers and post menopausal women needs more amount of calcium. Praval (Mool) Pishti helps to achieve this. Unlike other calcium supplements, Praval (Mool) Pishti won’t cause constipation and acidity in stomach.
- Fever – Praval (Mool) Pishti is a potent anti-pyretic. In fever, it can be taken along with godanti bhasma. Praval (Mool) Pishti is also very effective in fever related symptoms like heat or burning sensation, weakness & restlessness. It can also be taken along with bhallataka rasayana.
- General debility – Praval (Mool) Pishti can reduce body pain and weakness especially when it followed after an infection (post infection fatigue syndrome).
- Excessive perspiration
- Excessive thirst
- Calcium deficiency
- Anxiety with worrying
- Heart Palpitation
- Liver disorders [Praval (Mool) Pishti has anti-poisonous effect]
- Hepatitis or jaundice
- Nasal bleeding
- Eye disorders with redness and burning sensation like conjunctivitis.
- Non-productive cough
- Common cold
- Asthma with difficulty in coughing up sputum
- Acidity & hyper acidity
- Nausea & vomiting (sour vomiting)
- Peptic Ulcers (gastric ulcer & duodenal ulcer)
- Ulcerative colitis
- Abdominal bleeding
- Fistula in ano
- Anal Fissure
- Bleeding piles
- Bloody diarrhea
- Calcium Supplement
- Helps to heal the fractures
- Low bone mineral density (osteomalacia / rickets)
- Latent tetany
- Premature graying of hairs
- Hair fall
- Premature aging of skin
- Skin rashes & discoloration
- Skin cracks
- Pimple, Acne & white heads
- Burning or heat sensation in the skin
- Pricking sensation in the skin after sun exposure
- Skin diseases like dadru, visphota, dushta vrana
- Post-Menopausal Osteoporosis
- Hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- Painful periods (especially membranous dysmenorrhea)
- Breast tenderness
- Oligospermia (if associated with burning sensation)
- Erectile dysfunction
PREGNANCY & BREAST FEEDING
Praval (Mool) Pishti is considerably safe during pregnancy and lactation. But it should be taken under the strict prescription of doctor.
Praval (Mool) Pishti is an excellent calcium supplement, which is very beneficial during pregnancy and lactation. Vitamin C supplementation along with magnesium makes Praval (Mool) Pishti a natural nutritional supplement.
CAUTION & SIDE EFFECTS
If you have elevated calcium levels in blood, you should avoid the intake of Praval (Mool) Pishti.
Also Praval (Mool) Pishti can cause drug interactions. So you should inform your doctor about your present illness and the various medicines taking, before starting with Praval (Mool) Pishti.
Follow the instructions of your doctor. Self medication & over dosage can be dangerous.
Some may have certain side effects like:
- Abdominal gas & flatulence
- Abdominal swelling
- Abdominal pain & discomfort
- Anorexia or kidney stones (rare)
- Nausea, vomiting, headache, muscle pain, unusual weight loss, mood changes (extremely rare)
- Allergic reactions like skin rashes, itching & swelling, dizziness etc.