Ayurveda is the branch of the ancient healing system whose treatment does not yield side effects but has side benefits. It is the most impressive thing about this system. The Ayurvedic route to great health involves two simple steps: doing less and being more. Such things have helped our ancient acharyas to create or to prepare many herbal formulations, herbo mineral formulations and mineral formulations which gives really good results in managing various conditions. One of such formulations is sphatika bhasma. It is mentioned in Ayurveda saar sangrah along with its method of preparation and uses. In this article we will discuss Sphatika bhasma in detail.
Sphatika Bhasma is an Ayurvedic rasashastra preparation which is used in treating many conditions which are related to respiratory system, anorectal region, female reproductive system and urinary system. Alum or sphatik is also called as rock crystal (Sio2)Sometimes it is also used in skin ailments and gives fantastic results in almost all the conditions. In some conditions it can be given after mixing it with some other formulation or herbal powder to get more beneficial results. Sphatika is known as fitkari or alum in common language. There is no doubt it is very effective in managing many conditions really well.
- Whooping cough
- Chest pain due to pneumonia
- Digestive complaints like diarrhea, indigestion
- Bleeding piles
- Intestinal parasitic infestation
- Abdominal pain
Reference:- Ayurveda Sara Sangreha
Synonyms of Alum in Sanskrit
Sitopal, amlamani, nirmalpal, swach, swachmani, amalratan, nistush ratan, shikha priya, sphatik drisht, shivratan, shalipisht, sidhopal
- Alum appearance is more like fresh colourless water.
- It has a transparent look and is white in colour.
- The whole appearance is like a crystal.
- In case of impurities present the alum may have some colour and has oxygen along with silicon as its constituents.
Appearance of Grahi Sphatika
The album is cold (sheeta) and unctuous (snigdha). It does not have any pattern or lines on it and has an appearance that is loved by the eyes. The grahi form of sphatika maintains its clear look even on scrubbing.
It is commonly found in Madhya Pradesh.
Properties of Sphatika
It has madhur (sweet) , balya (strengthening), appears like frozen ice and is cold to the touch.
Effect on Dosha
Alum has a very impressive effect on doshas and helps in pacification of pitta dosha. It is very effective in detoxification of blood. In classical description it is mentioned that it is rakta pitta shamak, alleviates fever, swelling, burning sensation due to pitta dosha. It might increase vata and kapha dosha as it has cold potency.
Method Of Preparation
- The rock crystal is crushed and small pieces are put inside a mud pot and then it is covered.
- This mud pot is heated in gajputa
- When it cools down, just take out the sphatika bhasma out of it.
Appearance of Bhasma
This bhasma is clear and free from impurities. The bhasma has white colour.
- Another method includes heating the alum stone on a heat plate and then crushing it simply to make sphatika bhasma.
- The bhasma includes many medicinal properties. Sphatika bhasma is very effective in many disorders. Following are some of its medicinal properties:
- It has medicinal properties like cold potency which makes it a very effective formulation for bleeding disorders like bleeding piles and bleeding nose.
- But on the other hand it is very effective in whooping cough too.
- If talked about bleeding disorders, sphatika bhasma can also be used in abnormal uterine bleeding and can also be used as a blood purifier.
- Other than whooping cough the bhasma can also be used in other respiratory conditions like cough, bronchitis, pneumonia and even asthma.
- In Tuberculosis associated with blood spitting, the formulation can be used.
- Gastritis or burning sensation in the stomach along with excessive acidity can also be managed using this formulation.
- The sphatika bhasma can also be used to treat gynecological issues like leucorrhea and vignal infections.
- The formulation has a significant effect on leucoderma and also in herpes zoster infection.
- In chronic fevers, malarial fever and jaundice the formulation gives quite effective results
- In eye diseases, its use is mentioned in the classical texts
- Due to its sheeta veerya, it basically constricts vessels and tissues.
- Respiratory conditions
- Bleeding disorders
- Digestive problems
- Gynecological problems
- Digestive tract infections and other infections too
- Generally a dose of 125- 250gms is guided, twice a day after meals in divided doses.
- In bleeding piles, sphatika bhasma is used after mixing it with lukewarm water. Patient is asked to have a sitz bath after adding sphatika bhasma.
- In leucorrhea also, sitz bath after adding sphatika bhasma in lukewarm water is recommended.
- In skin disorders. Paste of sphatika bhasma can be given for application over the affected area.
- It is advisable to take this medicine only under medical supervision, especially for children, pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Take this medicine only in prescribed dosage for a particular time period only.
- Store in a cool dry place.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children.
Sphatika bhasma is mentioned well in our Ayurvedic texts and has many properties which makes it a formulation to be used in a variety of conditions. Due to its wide usage the importance of sphatika bhasma is very high in Ayurveda. It is basically rasashastra preparation and is mentioned for pacification of doshas. It can be used in many digestion related disorders and also has antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
Note :- This is pure classical Ayurvedic medicine and should be strictly consumed only after prescription of an Ayurvedic doctor and to be taken under medical supervision only.
There are no reviews yet.