Kakamachi is a small, short-lived perennial herb, which mostly grows as a weed in India, typically in dry regions. This herb is native to Eurasia but can be found growing plentifully in different parts of the world.
The botanical name of Kakamachi is Solanum Nigrum. It belongs to the Solanaceae species. It is called Makoy in Hindi, Kakahva (or Kakamachi) in Sanskrit, Makoh in Urdu, and Petty morel, Black nightshade or Garden nightshade in English.
The Kakamachi herb has egg-shaped leaves, with its flowers and fruits (berries) growing in clusters. The flowers of the herb are of white, cream or violet colours, while the ripe berries are black or dark purple in colour.
Kakamachi is considered a beneficial herb that has been used as food and medicine since ancient times. The herb is known for its ability to manage a number of health conditions including fever, malaria, measles, and even cancer. In Ayurveda, the root of Kakamachi, as well as its leaves, stem, seeds, and ripe berries are used in the preparation of various herbal formulations.
The medicinal significance of Kakamachi is evident from its proven anti-oxidant, anti-ulcerogenic, anti-inflammatory, anti-angiogenic, anti-pyretic, anti-convulsant, anti-proliferative (cancer preventive), immune-modulatory, and hepatoprotective properties. The herb has an abundance of vitamins and minerals. More specifically, it contains proteins, fat, minerals, carbohydrates, iron, calcium, phosphorus, Vitamin C, and niacin.
|S. No.||Herb Used||Latin Name||Quantity|
|1.||Kakamachi||Solanum nigrum||100 gm|
HEALTH BENEFITS OF KAKAMACHI POWDER
Kakamachi herb has numerous health benefits that can be obtained naturally by using Kakamachi Powder. The whole plant of Kakamachi and its different parts can be useful in managing different problems because the herb is an excellent aphrodisiac and rejuvenator. The herb can also balance all the three doshas of the body — Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
The key health benefits of Kakamachi Powder are:
- It can ensure healthy functioning of the liver
- It is good for lung and respiratory health
- It can keep the skin healthy
- It can assist digestion by causing an easy movement of waste products
- It can prevent cell damage due to its anti-oxidant actions.
Besides these main benefits, there are several other health advantages linked to the use of Kakamachi herb. The liquid (juice) extracted from the herb, its berries, leaves, stem, and other parts are used as a medicine for managing a wide range of disorders.
Some of the other significant health benefits of Kakamachi Powder are linked to the medicinal value of Kakamachi in promoting good health. The herb has the ability to treat different types of mild as well as severe disorders.
In general, the health benefits of Kakamachi have been discussed below.
- Kakamachi is considered an excellent remedy for managing liver disorders
- The use of Kakamachi herb can be helpful in treating tuberculosis
- Kakamachi can provide protection against cardiac pain
- Kakamachi can be used as an effective alternative treatment for cancer
- Kakamachi can reduce the formation of gas in the stomach
- Kakamachi also has the capability to treat Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) by increasing the secretion and discharge of urine
- The use of Kakamachi is beneficial in managing eruptive skin disorders
- Using Kakamachi can be helpful in treating the enlargement of organs like the spleen
- Kakamachi can help in managing ulcers
- Kakamachi can be used for treating various mouth-related problems such as gum diseases, mouth ulcers, and bad breath
- The use of Kakamachi is beneficial in treating earaches and toothaches
- Kakamachi can be used as a tonic to improve appetite
- People suffering from night blindness can benefit from the use of Kakamachi herb
- Kakamachi has been used for treating piles and leprosy
- Kakamachi can be used for inducing sleep
- Kakamachi can be used for treating wounds, burns, and inflammation.
Apart from these advantages of Kakamachi, some of the specific benefits of using the juice (liquid) extracted from the Kakamachi plant are:
- The juice obtained from the roots of Kakamachi can be beneficial for treating Asthma and eliminating phlegm from the bronchial tubes
- The juice of the herb can treat fever and alleviate pain
- The juice of the berries of Kakamachi is used for managing liver disorders, including Jaundice
- Kakamachi leaf juice has the ability to cure digestive problems and treat worms in the stomach
- Kakamachi leaf juice can relieve stomach ache, cramps, and flatulence
- The juice of Kakamachi leaves is also an excellent treatment for gout and rheumatic pain
- Gargling with Kakamachi leaf juice can cure mouth sores
- Kakamachi leaf juice is also useful in managing menstrual problems.
KAKAMACHI AND AYURVEDA
In Ayurvedic texts, several references have been made to the Kakamachi herb, with regard to its therapeutic uses and the various formulations prepared from the herb. Ayurvedic practitioners particularly recommend ‘Makoy ark’ as a Rasayan.
According to Ayurveda, Kakamachi has a Tikta (bitter) taste, and has a Laghu (light) and Snigdha (smooth) quality. The potency of the herb is described as Anushna (not too hot), while the Vipaka or post digestion effect of the herb is Katu (pungent). The herb has a balancing effect on the Tridosha.
In Ayurvedic formulations, the Kakamachi herb is generally used for treating many disorders, including Kushtha (Skin diseases) Yakrit vikara (Liver disorders), Hridroga (Heart disorders), Kamala (jaundice), Jwara (Fever), Shotha (Oedema or inflammation), Karnashoola (Ear pain), Prameha (Diabetes), Pandu (Anemia), Atisara (Diarrhoea), Shwitra (Vitiligo), Pleeharoga (Spleen disorders), Kasa-Shwasa (Cough and Asthma), Vatarakta (Gout), and Nasa-Netraroga (E.N.T. diseases).
- Product Type: Herbal powder
- Product Quantity (In gms): 100 gms.
Kakamachi Powder is a pure and natural herbal formulation. The preparation of this powder does not involve the use of any chemicals, preservatives, starch, yeast, artificial colours, fillers, additives, or binders.
Dosage: 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water after the meals.
CONTRAINDICATIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS
- Kakamachi is believed to be toxic, due to the presence of a toxic chemical called Solanin. Hence, it is unsafe to take Kakamachi by the mouth because of the potential risk of poisoning.
- The application of Kakamachi directly on the skin may not be safe for some people.
- Pregnant women should not take Kakamachi as it may cause birth defects in babies.
- Breast-feeding mothers should also avoid the use of Kakamachi.
- Kakamachi is not considered safe for the paediatric age group.