Ashokarisht is an Ayurvedic medicine used in female disorders. Women experience unique health problems and conditions from menarche stage to menopausal stage. Women are the most beautiful and unique creation of God. They go through many health and social problems throughout their life. Women health is so broad and includes many health problems such as menstrual problems, urinary tract problems, vaginitis, pelvic floor disorders, uterine fibroids and after preganacy they may also face some health problems like abortion, preterm labor, Eclampsia, pre-eclampsia, etc. These conditions are increasing nowadays due to bad diet and lifestyle. So in this article we are going to discuss one of the Ayurvedic medicines that is Ashokarisht and its benefits in detail.
Ashokarisht is a classical Ayurvedic formulation that is strongly used for the physical health and hormonal well-being of women. The herb Ashoka is also known as the natural friend of a woman. It provides hormonal balance and improves reproductive health. Ashoka is the vital ingredient in this health tonic. It is mainly found in the bark of Ashoka tree and gets extracted in the form of decoction. Later on it is mixed with the coarse powders of other herbs to make an Ayurvedic tonic by fermentation process called Ashokarisht. It is extensively used in menstrual problems and other gynecological issues.
- Ashoka (Saraca asoca) – 4670 g
- Gurh (Jaggery) – 9640 g
- Dhataki pushpa (Flowers of Woodfordia fruticosa) – 750 g
- Jeera (Cuminum cyminum) – 46 g
- Nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus) – 46 g
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale) – 46 g
- Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata) – 46 g
- Nilkamal (Nymphaea nouchali) – 46 g
- Amla (Emblica officinalis) – 46 g
- Harad (Terminalia chebula) – 46 g
- Bahera (Terminalia bellerica) – 46 g
- Amra beej (Seeds of Mangifera indica) – 46 g
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica) – 46 g
- Shweta Chandan (Santalum album) – 46 g
Reference: Bhaishajya-Ratnavali 66/111-114
Description Of The Ingredients
- Ashoka – It is widely used in the diseases of women. It has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Due to these properties it is helpful in the management of infections, swelling and pain. It maintains the menstrual cycle and also balances the hormonal balance in women.
- Gurh – This ingredient has immense health benefits. It cleanses the whole body and provides relief from infections. It improves digestion by promoting digestive fire and also improves the immune system. It also prevents constipation by aiding digestion. Due to its digestive properties it is widely used in abdominal and pelvic disorders.
- Dhataki – This herb is a main fermented herb in the preparation of Arishta. This herb pacifies Pitta dosha and is helpful in alleviating fever and also useful in leucorrhea. It is also beneficial in treating diarrhea, piles, dysentery, etc.
- Jeera – Jeera is very beneficial in digestive problems. It is mainly used in alleviating stomach pain and due to this property it is useful in reducing pain during menses. It is helpful in stimulating digestion. Jeera is beneficial in abdominal pain, fever, diarrhea, diabetes, indigestion, etc.
- Nagarmotha – This herb is used in alleviating pitta dosha. Traditionally, it is used in the treatment of fever, indigestion, asthma, allergy, etc. It has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It is used in treating uterine fibroid, cysts, etc.
- Shunthi – This is a wonderful appetizer and used in reducing stomach pain. It improves digestion by stimulating the digestive fire. It also improves the metabolism of the body. It is widely used in the treatment of fever, indigestion, flatulence, piles, anorexia and other abdominal problems etc.
- Daruhaldi – It is also known as Indian barberry. This herb has been used in the Ayurvedic medicine system for a long time. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is helpful in alleviating the swelling in the body. This herb has Ropan (healing) properties also. This mainly prevents us from various infections.
- Nilkamal – It is an important medicinal plant used in the treatment of diabetes, inflammation, liver disorders, urinary disorders, etc. It is also widely used in the management of all the menstrual problems like menorrhagia, amenorrhea, oligomenorrhea, etc.
- Amla – This fruit promotes a good immune system. It is a great source of Vitamin C. It has antioxidant properties and due to this it is helpful in excreting the toxins from the body. It is also useful in liver and spleen problems. It supports healthy digestion and this fruit regulates the normal menstrual cycle.
- Harad – This herb is known as “King of medicines” as it balances all three doshas i.e. Vata, pitta and kapha. Haritaki is a well known herb and used as a rasayan (Rejuvenative) in ayurveda. It is mainly helpful in digestive disorders and also has mild laxative effects. This is good for pelvic disorders also.
- Bahera – It helps to manage loss of appetite, thirst, bloating and flatulence due to its ushna potency. It enhances the pachak agni (Digestive fire) that helps in digesting the food easily. It promotes good health.
- Amra Beej – This ingredient is used in the treatment of diarrhea, leucorrhea, obesity, cholesterol, acne, etc. It improves blood circulation and is helpful in managing heart problems. It also regulates the proper menstrual cycle.
- Vasa – Vasa is used in treating cough, cold, asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory problems. It is also helpful in treating fever, jaundice, diarrhea, dysentery, irregular menstrual cycle, etc.
- Shweta Chandan – It provides calmness and a cooling effect on the body. It provides relief from burning micturition and other pitta related disorders. It prevents us from painful periods. .
Method Of Preparation
- Fill the clay pot with water and keep this overnight.
- Now filter the water and add Ashoka decoction and jiggery.
- Properly dried the dhataki flowers under the sunlight.
- Make a fine powder of other remaining herbs and add in this mixture.
- Seal the opening of the clay pot and keep it aside in the fermentation room.
- Open the seal after 15 days in summer time and 25 days in winter time.
- Check the fermentation process.
- If the fermentation process is done properly then filter the mixture and again keep aside for 8-10 days.
- After 10 days again filter the liquid and poured in airtight glass container.
- Use this arishta formulation after 1 year for better results.
Ashokarisht is an Ayurvedic tonic used in the treatment of gynecological and obstetrics. This formulation regulates the normal menstrual cycle and balances the hormonal functions. It is extremely beneficial in managing heavy menstrual bleeding, heavy uterine bleeding, uterine cyst and fibroids and menopausal osteoporosis. It has strong analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that promote the health of women. The ingredients in this formulation have rejuvenating, antioxidant and immune boosting properties that promote the overall well being of women. It improves ovarian function also. Ashokarisht has anti-inflammatory, mild estrogenic, carminative, digestive stimulant, antioxidant, and adaptogenic properties.
- It pacifies Pitta dosha
Classical Indications (Rogadhikar)
- Pradar (Leucorrhea)
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
3 teaspoon twice a day with an equal amount of water.
- Take this formulation under the medical supervision.
- Overdose will lead to stomach pain, irregular periods or prolonged periods.
Ashokarisht is a powerful herbal tonic for female health. The fermented formulation is a potent herbal remedy for the above mentioned problems. This syrup has minute side effects but if taken under the proper medical advice then it will provide numerous health benefits to female gynecological as well as obstetric problems.