Chotti Elachi is known as Cardamom in English. Botanically it is called Eletteria cardamomum. It has several health benefits. This Elachi is useful for overall digestive system, respiratory system, kidneys, blood, heart, and skin. It is commonly found in Ayurvedic medicines used for the treatment of these organs and their ailments. It is a household spice in Indian houses and is a very good anti-oxidant. Chotti Elachi is an also a one of ingredients in Chyawanprash.
|S. No.||Herb Used||Latin Name||Quantity|
|1.||Chhoti Elaichi||Elettaria cardamomum||100 gm|
- Package Type: Herbal Powder.
- Package Quantity: 100 gm. Bottle.
- These are free from chemicals, preservatives, yeast, pesticides, microbes, heavy metals, fillers and starch.
WHAT IS CARDAMOM?
It is popularly known as “Elaichi” in Hindi, “Elakkai” in Kannada, “Yelakkapalu” in Telugu, “Aelakka” in Malayalam, “Yalakki” in Kannada, “Sukumel” in Nepali “Elachi” in Gujarati, and “Huba aalhal” in Arabic language – cardamom is a spice made from the seeds of several plants in form of seed pods belonging to the family Zingiberaceae.
Cardamom is native spice to India, Bhutan, Nepal, and Indonesia. The Cardamom pods are very small (that’s how we recognized them), triangular in cross-section, and shaped as spindles when taken out.
It is called the Queen of Spices, it is the world’s third most expensive spice – only surpassed by saffron and vanilla. Not just that – this spice comes in many different types as well.
Scientific Name of Elachi (Green Cardamom) is Eletteria cardamomum.
AYURVEDIC QUALITIES OF CHOTTI ELAICHI ACCORDING TO DRAVYA GUNA
- Rasa (Taste) – Katu (Pungent), Madhura (Sweet)
- Guna (Main Quality) – Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Potency) – Sheeta (Cold)
- Vipaka (Resultant) – Madhura (Sweet)
- Prabhava (Therapeutic Effect) – Rejuvenation & Supplement
- Tridosha Karma (Effect On Humors) – Pacifies Tridosha (Vata, Pitta, Kapha)
- Organs Beneficial For – Stomach, Lungs, Kidneys, Heart & Skin
DIFFERENT TYPES OF CARDAMOM?
Green and black cardamom – the two major types of cardamom.
Green cardamom is also known as true cardamom and it is the commonest variety.
- It is used to enhance both sweet and savory dishes in Indian cuisines.
- It is also added to rich Indian curries and milk-based preparations for its fragrance and enhancement of flavour of the dish.
- Tea and coffee are also made with cardamom which gives these drinks different tastes with its health benefits.
Black cardamom is native to the Eastern Himalayas of Himalayan range and is mostly cultivated in Sikkim, parts of West Bengal in India, and Eastern Nepal. It is brown and slightly elongated.
- Black cardamom is used only in savory dishes like curries and biryani.
- It is one of the essential ingredient in garam masala (the blend of spices).
- Its dark brown seeds are known for their medicinal values – particularly so because of their nutrient content (volatile oils, calcium, iron, etc.).
- Ground cardamom – which is nothing but what we get when the spice is crushed to obtain cardamom powder and used in powder form
BOTANICAL CLASSIFICATION (PLANT TAXONOMY)
- Kingdom – Plantae
- Sub-Kingdom – Viridiplantae
- Infra Kingdom – Streptophyta (land plants)
- Super Division – Embryophyta
- Division – Tracheophyta (Tracheophytes or Vascular Plants)
- Sub Division – Spermatophytina (Spermatophytes or Seed Plants)
- Class – Magnoliopsida
- Super Order – Lilianae (Monocotyledons, Monocots)
- Order – Zingiberales
- Family – Zingiberaceae (Ginger Family)
- Genus – Elettaria
- Species – Elettaria cardamomum (E. cardamomum)
COMMON NAMES OF CHOTTI ELAICHI
- Botanical Name – Elettaria cardamomum
- Botanical Synonym – Amomum cardamomum
- English Name – Green Cardamom, True Cardamom
- Hindi Name – Elachi, Chhoti Elaichi
- Sanskrit Name – Ela, Sukhshamela, Triputta
- Type of Plant: Herbaceous Perennial
- Geographic Distribution: India & Sri Lanka
- Height: It grows up to 5 to 20 feet
- Habitat: Tropical regions having temperatures around 35 degrees or higher
- Leaves: It has leafy shoots which arise up to 5 to 20 feet, sometimes up to 10 meter
- Flowers: Flowers shoots can go up to 1 meter
- Fruits: Fruits looks like capsules, which contains seeds
CARDAMOM MANAGES COUGH AND COLD
“Cardamom is full of antioxidants. It is of two kinds, green and black. Green cardamom shows good results in colds and cough and certain respiratory problems,” put some pods in water along with honey and drink this cardamom tea as a very effective natural remedy for flu. It imparts warmth to the body and helps in subsidizing its symptoms.
As it have strong aroma, it helps in activating our taste and sensory buds and thus, aid digestion. It helps in the secretion of enzymes effective for digestion especially if consumed after heavy meals. This Cardamom is very effective for managing stomach problems like indigestion, gas and constipation. Green cardamom contains certain chemicals of which some are known to increase the movement of food through the intestine. It also helps in indigestion.
TACHYCARDIA AND CHOTTI ELAICHI
Green Cardamom (Chotti Elaichi) taken with Vamshalochana and Sharbat of Unab helps in the treatment of tachycardia. Other medicines which according to underlying cause of tachycardia should also be included in the treatment of tachycardia. It alone helps generally in cases of high blood pressure, stress disorders, smoking, excessive intake of alcohol or caffeinated beverages, etc.
PREVENTS BAD BREATH
The very sweet and sensualizing aroma of cardamom makes it a natural breath freshener. Cineole is major component of cardamom oil which is known for its antimicrobial properties that promote oral hygiene and it also helps in fighting that cause bad breath.
LOWERS HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
Having a concoction made of a teaspoon coriander and one pinch of cardamom powder mixed with 1 cup of freshly squeezed peach juice can help to bring down high blood pressure. Therefore, it is also known to be a heart-friendly spice, which helps in maintaining healthy heart.
SECRET TO LONGEVITY
In old Chinese tradition, drinking cardamom tea is known to be the secret to longevity. Green cardamom tea helps in flushing out toxins and keeps your internal systems clean. This cardamom is one such spice which must be consumed on a daily basis in order to stay healthy and increase your life span.
CYSTITIS, GONORRHEA AND SCANTY URINATION
Take green cardamom seed powder and Mix cardamom seed powder with amla juice to use as an herbal diuretic.
BOOSTS BLOOD CIRCULATION
Green cardamom is known to increase the blood circulation in human body and especially to human lungs and so, is often used as a natural remedy for respiratory disorders in human body. It maintains vitality and keeps energy levels in human body high. Green cardamom regulates our blood sugar levels whereas Black cardamom is often used as an effective remedy for treating high blood sugar levels. Chotti Elaichi contains good amount of manganese which helps in controlling blood sugar levels in the body.
SUPPORTS WEIGHT LOSS
This cardamom boosts our energy metabolism and helps the body to burn fat more efficiently.
Green Cardamom is also known to boost your metabolism.
TREATS SLEEP TROUBLE
Inhaling the sweet and soothing aroma of green cardamom essential oil can help in treating sleep issues such as insomnia, restlessness, stress, anxiety.
HELPS IN NICOTINE WITHDRAWAL
Green Cardamom (Chotti Elachi) plays very effective role in those people who want to quit nicotine use. Chewing cardamom pods 4 to 6 times a day helps in reducing craving for nicotine, restlessness. It also helps in improving sleep quality and prevents depression. For its effective results, some anxiolytic and anti-stress herbs should also be used along with cardamom powder. Herbs which should include are Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Gotu kola (Centella asiatica), Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Vacha (Acorus calamus), and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera or Indian Ginseng) etc.
BALANCES THE DOSHAS
In Ayurveda, green cardamom is a very important spice which is tridoshic which means that helps in balancing all the three doshas – Vatta, Pitta and Kapha in our body and keeps them in equilibrium. It has very good warming properties that are soothing for your body. Green Cardamom is also believed in Ayurveda that the excess build-up of ‘Ama’, a sticky substance that blocks normal circulation and lowers energy levels, leads to various diseases in our body. This cardamom helps in preventing its Ama accumulation and thus, reduces its negative effects on human body.
GREEN CARDAMOM TEA HELPS IN FLUSHING OUT ALL THE TOXINS FROM OUR BODY
People can chew on this pod but if you find the flavour to be very strong, then as easy way to use cardamom is to take out these seeds and crush them gently. It can be added to your daily cup of tea, coffee, milk or simply has with a glass of warm water and honey.
DOSAGE OF CHOTTI ELAICHI POWDER
- Infants (Up To 12 Months) – 250 mg *
- Toddler (1 – 3 yrs.) – 500 mg *
- Preschooler (3 – 5 yrs.) – 750 mg *
- Grade-schooler (5 – 12 yrs.) – 1 gram *
- Teenager (13 -19 yrs.) – 2 grams *
- Adults (19 to 60 yrs.) – 3 grams *
- Geriatric (above 60 yrs.) – 2 grams *
- Pregnancy – 500 to 1000 mg *
- Lactation – 1 to 3 grams *
It powders Maximum Possible Dosage is 12 grams Per Day (in divided doses)
* Twice a day
WHEN TO TAKE IT
It can be taken anytime in a day. For best results in digestive problems, it should be taken an hour before meal. In headache and vertigo, it should be taken an hour after food.
There are no known side effects reported with Cardamom pods, seeds, tea or decoction.
CARDAMOM AND PREGNANCY & BREASTFEEDING
Chotti Elaichi (Cardamom) is likely safe in food amounts during pregnancy and breastfeeding. But its extract should not be used in pregnancy. Cardamom in raw, natural and crude form is safer than its extracts during pregnancy and breast feeding.
Ayurvedic Formulations of Elaichi (Cardamom) in which Ela (chotti elachi) is used:
- Eladi Choornam (Eladi Churna)
- Eladi Vati
- Eladi Ghrita (Ghee)
- Eladi Tailam (Eladi Oil)
- Eladi Lepa