EFFECTIVE HERBS AND HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS MANAGEMENT
|1||Neem Capsules||1 Bottle (60 Capsules)|
|2||Pradrantak Churan||1 Pack (100gms)|
|3||Nirgundi Oil||1 Bottle (100ml)|
|4||Gandhak Rasayan||1 Bottle (120 Teblets)|
Vaginitis is a common disease found among females. One out of five female have vaginitis one time in her reproductive life. Different types of bacteria are present in healthy vagina, which plays an important role to combat vaginal infections. An inflammation of the vagina is known as Vaginitis. If vulva is also inflamed it is known as vulvo-vaginitis. Vaginitis is not bounded to specific age group but it is seen in the reproductive age females. It can be bacterial vaginosis or nonspecific vaginitis.
CAUSES OF VAGINITIS
- Growth of micro- organisms due to Imbalance in natural flora of vagina
- Reduction in female hormones (estrogen)
- Side effect of Antibiotics
- Physical agents
- Chemical agents
The micro-organisms which causes inflammation in the vagina can be:-
- Candida albicans (A fungus)
- Trichomonas vaginalis (Protozoa- tiny one-celled organisms)
- Viruses such as herpes or human papilloma
- Due to imbalance of naturally found flora in vagina which leads to overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria Gardnerella vaginalis.
Some Irritants that can cause vaginitis
- Cervical caps
- Dental dams
- Spermicidal foams, gels and creams
- Physical injury
- Heat retaining and tight undergarments
- Perfumed sprays and powders used for Feminine hygiene
Signs and symptoms of vaginitis
Besides excessive foul vaginal discharge the other symptoms are:-
- Itching, swelling around the vagina
- An unpleasant odor from the vagina
- Burning micturition
- Painful intercourse
The healing process can be interfered due to regular vaginal irritation caused by usage of condoms, cervical caps, diaphragms etc.
Here we will enhance your knowledge about bacterial vaginosis, its Ayurvedic aspect and some home remedies for it.
Bacterial vaginosis is the most common cause of unusual vaginal discharge. Due to change in the variety and numbers of bacteria which are usually found in vagina, there is change in normal acidity of vagina which leads to an overgrowth of several anaerobes. Excessive whitish or yellowish discharge from the vagina, the discharge may be clear or colored very light or heavy and may have an unpleasant “fishy” smell.Sometimes the causative organism of bacterial vaginosis is found in uterus and fallopian tubes of female with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). If it is left untreated, it can cause infections to reproductive organs.
Causes of bacterial vaginosis
- Prolonged menstruation
- Regular Douching
- Unsafe intercourse
- Cigarette smoking
- IUCD (intrauterine device)
- Wearing tight fitted garments
- Using synthetic panties
- Multiple sexual partner
- Sexually active are prone to it
- Frequent washing
- Eating a poor diet
- Usage of deodorants or perfumed washes around vagina.
Classical Ayurvedic Outlook
According to Ayurvedic point of view the main cause of vaginal diseases is unbalanced diet. In Charak samhita, vitation of vata dosha is considered as the main cause of reproductive system related diseases. Bacterial vaginosis is primarily a kapha disorder that includes pitta and vata and also involves artavavaha srotas (reproductive organs). It is classified under kaphaja yoni vyapata (reproductive diseases caused due to vitation of Kapha). Pittaja and vataja constituted females have tendency towards burning sensations, irritation and infections, whereas kapha and pitta constituted females are prone to itching, yeast infections .The imbalance in vaginal flora is caused due to improper diet which leads to agnimandya (low digestive fire).The aggravation of Kapha along with it leads to itching and sticky discharge from vagina. In addition to this, unhygienic conditions, excess sexual intercourse also aggravate it. In diseases of the vagina oleation, sudation, enema which mitigate vata are highly valuable. Alleviation of kapha is the main motto behind the management.
The Ayurvedic management of bacterial vaginosis includes:-
- Balancing dosha
- Improvement in digestion
- Proper diet plan
- Personal hygiene
In Ayurveda, the main focus is to balance agni (digestive fire). The goal of the management is to destroy the bacteria and boost the immunity by restoring digestive fire. All the herbs and managements which are dry and hot in potency alleviates of kapha and vata. Hot, dry herbs includes trikatu, triphala, asafetida, palasa, pippili, amalaki, dadima, musta, majishta. The digestive herbs like cumin, fennel, fenugreek, cardamom, cumin, ginger, garlic increase agni, destroys the microorganisms. Herbs like turmeric, brahmi, ashwagandha,bala, saffron and satavari increases immunity.
PLANET AYURVEDA’S HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS MANAGEMENT
In keeping mind the occurrence and chronicity of bacterial vaginosis, Planet Ayurveda formed a combination of many formulations to relieve from it. The Bacterial Vaginosis Care Pack of Planet Ayurveda includes:-
1. GANDHAK RASAYAN
Gandhak rasayan is a classical formulation, consisting purified gandhak which is processed in cow milk, chaturjata, guduchi, triphala, bhringraj, adraka. The processing of this medicine takes few months after which it is called as a” Rasayana”.By alleviating vata and kapha it relieves skin infections like eczema, scabies, ringworm, fungal infections, itching, pruritis etc. traditionally it is used to combat disese like leprosy( kustha), urticaria, acne and other blood impurities. It improves digestion, purifies the blood resulting a radiant skin. It is a herbal antimicrobial and antibacterial remedy.
Dosage – 250 mg twice a day after meals
2. PRADRANTAK CHURNA
This is a pure herbal formulation by Planet Ayurveda which is combination of Lodhra (Symplocarpus racemosa), Udumbar (Ficus glomerata), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) and Ashoka (Saraca indica) . These herbs together balances aggravated kapha, stimulates digestive fire and corrects physiological functions. It relieves leucorrhea, excessive bleeding and pre menstrual syndrome. Lodhra corrects excessive vaginal discharge, udumbar has anti-cancerous, anti-inflammatory, anti protozoal and hypoglycaemic properties, arjuna possesses anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, antimutagenic and wound healing actions and lastly, asoka that balances the hormones , reduces oedema and burning sensation.
Dosage – 1 tablespoonful with water twice a day.
3. NEEM CAPSULES
According to Ayurveda, neem eradicates various micro organisms such as bacteria, fungi, viruses, protozoa, parasites. It has wonderful antiseptic properties. Neem, which is bitter and astringent in taste, works as an emollient and tonic for the skin. It alleviates kapha and heals wounds very fast. Neem has detoxifying and an anti-bacterial property which helps in combating against skin infections such as acne, psoriasis, scabies, eczema, etc. The neem extracts also help in managing chronic diseases such as diabetes, AIDS, cancer, herpes, allergies, ulcers, hepatitis etc. The neem capsules of Planet Ayurveda are effective in all skin diseases, thirst, allergies, diabetes and any kind of inflammation.
Dosage – 1 to 2 capsules two times a day after meals with plain water.
4. Nirgundi Oil
External use as directed by physician.
- Avoid fasting/excess dieting
- Non –vegetarian eatable
- Excess puddings
- Sugars, chocolates
- Dairy products, cheese
- Cold drinks, alcohol
- Too much greasy and fried food
- Avoid nylon undergarments.
- Avoid unnecessarily use of cosmetics in genital area.
- Avoid Sleeping in day time
- Meals rich in fresh vegetables
- Fruits – papaya, apples, pomegranate and musk melons are highly beneficial
- Consumption of cow’s milk and ghee
- Drink plenty of water
- Take Blueberry, Grape and Cranberry juices
- Vitamin E rich such as broccoli, spinach, collards, avocado and kiwi
- Do regular mornings walk and yoga
- Keep the vaginal area clean and dry
- Tree oil massage in your genital area
Diet rich in protein, full of vegetable and low in carbohydrates is beneficial. Avoid sugars, since bacteria flourish on sugar. Garlic possesses antibacterial properties. Regular intake of vitamin C and folic acid is also beneficial.
Some Home Remedies
- Take 1 gm turmeric powder, 2 gm licorice, 1 gm Gymnema sylvestre leaves powder twice a day with warm water until symptoms are gone
- To reduce vaginal itching, cold compression is beneficial. Place the tea bags in refrigerator for some time and keep them on vagina to reduce the itching. You can repeat this three times a day.
- Sitz bath with baking soda maintains th pH of vagina and reduces irritation.
- Washing vagina with decoction of triphala powder relives burning sensation in vagina.
- Make a decoction of triphala, neem bark, ficus racemosa and ficus reigiosa. Add borax powder to it, wash vagina with this decoction three times a day.
- Boil neem leaves and add sphatika (alum) to it. Rinse vagina with it twice a day.
- Apply plain yogurt on the inflamed areas in vagina.