The common names of Cissus Quadrangularis are Devil’s backbone or Veldt Grape. In Hindi it is known as Hajora and the Sanskrit name is Asthisanhari, as it relieves bone fractures.
Cissus Quadrangularis is native to India and Sri Lanka but it is also well grown in Arabia, Africa and Southeast Asia. It is cultivated in the US and Brazil as well.
Since ancient times, this plant has been used to relieve bone injures, torn tendons and ligaments.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED
Stems, leaves and roots of the plant are used as a medicine.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CISSUS QUADRANGULARIS
Cissus Quadrangularis is a shrub which grows to a height of 1.5 m and climbs over bushes. The stem of the plant is fleshy thick ridged, glabrous and quadrangular. It has leaves which are alternate, simple, broadly ovate, and thickened with serrate margins. These leaves are around 6cm broad and 8cm long. Several tendrils arise from the nodes. The flowers are small, cup shaped with greenish yellow petals. The fruits are round berries.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF CISSUS QUADRANGULARIS
This herb has several therapeutic powers. Some of these are:-
- The leaves and the stem of the plant are made into a food item in southern India.
- Young shoots of the plant are burnt and used in relieving indigestion and dyspepsia.
- Stem is crushed and the juice is used to relieve epistaxis and otorrhoea.
- Traditional Relievers use the paste of the stem as a poultice over swellings and bone fractures.
- The entire plant is known for its athelmintic, antiasthmatic, aphrodisiac properties and is used to relieve gastrointestinal disorders like dyspepsia, colic and irregular menstruation.
- This plant is an important herb in ‘Siddha’ medicine which has its origins in southern India.
This plant is a rich source of triterpenoids, ascorbic acid and carotenoids.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb offers relieves for several ailments. Some of these are:
- Fractures: One of the best uses of Cissus Quadrangularis is its influence on bone fractures. It is a time tested and proven remedy to fix broken bones. The relieving time comes down drastically with the usage of this herb.
- Obesity: When Cissus is used along with green tea and chromium which are known as fat burning ingredients, it gives encouraging results in reducing fat cells in the body. It definitely helps in reducing excess weight.
- Diabetes: Cissus is known to lower blood sugar levels in the body. As it is also known for weight reduction, it is useful in relieving type 2 diabetes which is usually associated with obesity.
- Heart diseases: Cissus is known for its positive influence on the heart. Some health experts believe that its regular usage will yield good results in relieving ailments related to the heart.
- Inflammation and pain: Cissus has high amounts of vitamin C. It has antioxidant properties which reduces inflammation.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE CISSUS QUADRANGULARIS
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Cissus Quadrangularis is used:
All Planet Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels. For good health and better immunity, opt for Planet Ayurveda products.