Terminalia Arjuna, a tree with medicinal value is commonly known as ‘Kahu’ in India. Ancient Sanskrit Scriptures refer to it as, ‘Nadisarija’ and mention use of its bark as a cardiac tonic.
Its English name is ‘Arjun Myrobalan’ and is commonly known as ‘Arjun’ in Hindi and ‘Arjuna Kakubha’ in Sanskrit. This tree is usually found along marshy lands and water bodies.
CHARACTERISTICS OF TERMINALIA ARJUNA
Arjuna Tree is found in the Sub-Himalayan and Deccan regions of India; parts of Sri Lanka and Myanmar.
Arjuna tree is large and evergreen and reaches 20 to 27 meters in height. It has a buttressed trunk with smooth, pinkish grey bark which exfoliates in thin and large sheets and round, conical leaves. The bark oozes whitish fluid when cut. The fruits are ovoid-oblong measuring two to five centimeters in length. Its bark and fruits are used in various herbal preparations.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF TERMINALIA ARJUNA
Vagbhatta, the ancient Indian physician prescribed the bark for relieving heart diseases. Chakradatta, another ancient physician prescribed it as an astringent and tonic for heart disorders. He administered it in a decoction form with treacle water and milk or in a preparation using clarified butter or ghee.
Some Therapeutic Effects Of Terminalia Arjuna Are:
- Stops bleeding or secretions.
- Relieves fever.
- Removes stones or calculi from our urinary system.
- Promotes flow of bile juice.
- Hastens relieving of wounds.
The bark is a cardiac stimulant and has tonic and cooling effects. Ayurvedic medicines practitioners prescribe preparations containing it for dropsy or cardiac failure.
NUTRIENT COMPOSITION OF TERMINALIA ARJUNA
Terminalia Arjuna bark contains arjunosides, arjunetin, friedelin, arjungenin, and arjunine; oleanolic acid, arjunolic acid and arjunic acid; and other saponin glycosides. It also contains polyphenols and flavonoids.
Experimental studies have proven therapeutic effectiveness of Terminalia Arjuna due to its components like:
- Cardiovascular activity: The bark’s powder increases superoxide dimutase, glutathione and catalase levels and demonstrates effectiveness against oxidative stress. It lowers blood pressure, frequency of angina-attacks.
- Hypolipidaemc activity: It significantly decreases parameters like LD and HD Lipoprotein and total cholesterol.
- Hepatoprotective activity: Administration of Ayurvedic preparations like Somesvararasam or Nagarjunabhram inhibits secretion of Hepatitis B surface antigens proving its effectiveness for hepatic conditions.
- Antineoplastic activity: It effectively retards growth of cancerous cells.
- Antimutagenic activity: Bark’s extract is antimutagenic to strains of Salmonella Typhimurium.
- Antiviral and antibacterial activity: It is effective against immunodeficiency viruses and many species of bacteria.
CARE OF AILMENTS
Practitioners prescribe it as a cardiac tonic owing to its stimulating action on our heart. The bark in decoction or powder form is used to relieve many ailments, internally and externally such as:
- Heart disorder: Its decoction mixed with milk or 0.75 to 2 grams of the powder mixed with jaggery and milk is administered every day in the morning on empty stomach to relieve heart disorders.
- Asthma: Asthmatic patients maintain fast on full-moon day. A preparation containing rice and condensed milk called, ‘Kheer’ is cooked and placed such that moonlight falls upon it the whole night. During wee-hours the next morning, 12 grams of finely powdered arjuna bark is sprinkled over the kheer and administered to the patient. Post eating, the patient is not allowed to sleep for 12 hours for best results.
- Contusions and Fractures: Administering powdered form of the bark with honey assists our bones in regaining their strength after fracture.
- Dysentery and Diarrhoea: Patients suffering from either condition are administered 15 to 30 grams of the bark’s decoction for relief.
- Aphrodisiac: Administration of the powder form with milk over a period of time is an effective stimulant for sexual interest.
- Acne: Application of an ointment prepared by mixing the bark’s extract with honey relieves acne.
- Earaches: An extract from the leaves of Arjuna Tree is used for effectively relieving earaches.
- Sting: Ashes of the bark is effective in relieving scorpion sting.
- Sores and ulcers: A decoction of the bark is an effective astringent to clean sores and ulcers.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS WHILE USING TERMINALIA ARJUNA
Terminalia Arjuna is beneficial to our health when administered in recommended doses. Consult a practitioner before commencing its administration either separately or in combination with standard managements.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS CONTAINING TERMINALIA ARJUNA
The following products manufactured by Planet Ayurveda contain the herb Terminalia Arjuna:-
Planet Ayurveda products are manufactured as per the traditional Ayurvedic science, using only pure and natural herbs; no chemicals or preservatives are used in any of our products. Our products are also never tested on animals and are made under the most stringent quality guidelines. So opt for Planet Ayurveda herbs and supplements for a healthier you.