The Solanum Xanthocarpum is popularly known as kateli, Kandakarichunda, Kandankattiri and Indian Solanum.
It has sharp and prickly branches that are densely covered with rather minute star shaped hair. The herb has yellow colored shining prickles that are of 1.5 cm in size. The sparsely hairy egg shaped leaves, purple colored flowers and round fruits. The fruit also has smooth seeds.
The Solanum Xanthocarpum is native to India. This herbal plant is usually found in wastelands of India and on the roadside as well as open scrublands.
Ayurvedic properties of the herb:-
- Rasa : Tikta, Katu
- Virya : Ushna
- Guna : Lakhu, Snigdha
The fruit of Solanum Xanthocarpum contains carpesteral, solanocarpine and glucoside alkaloids. It also contains solanidine and solamine S. the Solanum Xanthocarpum also contains sterols, alkaloids, carbohydrates, fatty and amino acids.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF THE HERB
The roots of Solanum Xanthocarpum are used widely as a medical ingredient that has been used by Ayurvedic herbalists for relieving common ailments. This drug is bitter tasting and a mild purgative. Various experiments by physicians have shown that the plant possesses anti bacterial benefits.
The herb can relieve problems of bronchial asthma, bronchitis and chronic cough. It is a laxative and carminative that is useful in acute cases of gastrointestinal problems.
The properties of the Solanum Xanthocarpum are:-
This herb is usually used with tulsi, datura, honey and black pepper. This herb has been known to promote conception in females.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
The herb is known to relieve the following health problems:-
- Respiratory disorders: the Solanum Xanthocarpum is used for clearing catarrh as well as phlegm in the bronchial tubes. This makes it a management for respiratory problems like bronchitis, cough and asthma.
- Stomach disorders: the herb is used to relieve problems of flatulence and constipation. It is used to strengthen and promote the action of the stomach. It is known to correct the disordered process of nutrition absorption in the body. The herb possesses an anthelminitic or worm destroying property that helps in relieving the problem of intestinal infection.
- Dropsy: the Solanum Xanthocarpum is used to relieve dropsy which is the excessive collection of fluids in tissues as well as the cavities of the body.
- Throat disorders: the Solanum Xanthocarpum is used to relieve problems like sore throat and tonsillitis. The extract of the plant is used in gargles for this purpose.
- Gum diseases: the Solanum Xanthocarpum is used with black mustard for relieving gum problems.
- Snake bites: the herb root can relieve problems of snake and scorpion bites. A paste made from it can be added to lemon juice for application on the affected area.
- The Solanum Xanthocarpum is also used to relieve problems of gonorrhea, enlargement of liver, dysuria, fever, worm infestations, epilepsy, flatulence, colic, rheumatoid arthritis, dental issues, amenorrhea, kidney stone as well as enlargement of spleen.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS FOR USING THIS HERB
It is advised to be used only after consulting a certified herbalist.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
The perfect substitute for the Solanum Xanthocarpum is the Pranrakshak churan that has been specially formulated with organic vegetarian ingredients.
We at Planet Ayurveda are continually working on formulations that are being devized for the welfare of the our patients. The herbal products that the organization produces is subjected to a strict quality check that has been carefully designed by experts. This quality assurance mechanism helps us in providing the customer with excellent product quality. We at Planet Ayurveda use only organic ingredients and do not add any chemicals or preservatives in them. Our products are vegetarian and have not been at any time tested on any animal.