Pergularia extensa is known as Uttran or Sadorani in Hindi. The entire plant is used for medicinal purposes.
CHARACTERISTICS OF PERGULARIA EXTENSA
It is a small, perennial, twining herb. The stems are hairy and give out milky juice. The leaves are broad and egg shaped.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF PERGULARIA EXTENSA
Pergularia is antibilious, pungent and laxative. It is beneficial in relieving fever and induces vomiting. The principles of pergularia are similar to that of pituitrin in action.
It contains two bitter principles, a bitter resin, a glucoside which possesses physiological action like that of pituitrin and various sterols.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb acts as a relieve for many ailments. Some of these are:
- Respiratory disorders: Pergularia influences the removal of phlegm and catarrhal matter from bronchial tube. It is beneficial in relieving asthma. The extract from the leaves can be used to relieve catarrhal diseases as an expectorant. A decoction made from the leaves is useful in relieving cough.
- Intestinal worms: The herb shows anthelmintic properties and is useful in expelling intestinal worms. About 2-4 grams of the leaves should be fried in ghee and consumed for few days to show results.
- Piles: The herb is effective in relieving bleeding piles. It should be consumed in a similar manner used for relieving intestinal worms.
- Rheumatism: Pergularia is used in combination with other herbs to relieve rheumatism. The extract of the leaves should be mixed with the juice of ginger and consumed for reducing symptoms of rheumatism. The root bark is also effective in relieving rheumatism. Around 4 to 8 grams of the root bark powder should be mixed with cow’s milk and consumed. It works as a purgative in relieving rheumatic problems.
- Women’s disorders: This herb is effective as uterine tonic. It controls excessive uterine bleeding. Pergularia is also used in the drug preparation for relieving abnormal suppression of menses or amenorrhoea.
- Infantile Diarrhoea: The extract of the leaves can be used for relieving diarrhea in children.
- Stranguary: The herb has diuretic properties. It is effective in relieving stranguary, a condition wherein urine is discharged in droplets and associated with pain.
- Skin ailments: Pergularia is useful in relieving various skin disorders. A mixture of slaked like and the leaf extract can be used for external application in rheumatic swellings, cysts and hard tumours. A poultice made from the leaves can be used for application to relieve carbuncles.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN USING PERGULARIA EXTENSA
The herb should be used in the prescribed dosages. Over dosage may lead to unknown complications. It is better to consult a registered medical practitioner for right dosage and usage.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE PERGULARIA EXTENSA
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Pergularia extensa is used:
In the preparation of these herbal capsules, herbs like Punarnava, kalmegh, kutki, kaasni, himsra, haritaki, jhavuka and Makoy are used. These capsules are one of the healthiest ways to relieve liver problems.
Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels. Opt for Planet Ayurveda products and seek good health.