Paederia Foetida is known as Daun Kentut, Kasembukan and Kantutai colloquially. This herb belongs to the family of Rubiaceae. The plant is known as Chinese flower in English, Prasarini in Sanskrit and Gandhaprasarini in Hindi. The word prasarini or spreading was used to describe the properties of this herb. This herb is known to spread easily in the body and work to relax the body nerves. This attribute of the herb makes it a perfect remedy for relieving the problem of rheumatism, contraction in the joints or stiffness.
CHARACTERISTICS OF PAEDERIA FOETIDA
The Paederia Foetida is found in the Himalayas up to an altitude of 1800 meters above sea level. It can also be found in Orissa, Bengal, Bihar and Assam.
This plant is a climber which has ovate to lanceolate leaves. The leaves are around 5 cm long and 2.5 cm in width. The leaves are also membranous and have long petioles. The flowers of the Paederia Foetida are found in scorpiod cymes and are violet in color. The roots of the Paederia Foetida are cylindrical and are compressed from both the sides. The outer part of the roots is covered in root scars. The Paederia Foetida fracture is fibrous and bitter to taste. The fracture is brown in color on the exterior and light brown in color on the inside.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF THE HERB
The Paederia Foetida is useful in relieving a number of ailments like rheumatism, paralysis, abscesses, gout, diarrhea, dysentery, infertility, colic and flatulence.
The leaves are used extensively for relieving herpes infection. The roots are used as an emetic and beneficial for relieving spleen inflammation as well as pain in the chest or liver. The entire plant is a tonic, astringent and an antiphlogistic.
The bark, root and the leaf are useful in relieving maggots, urethral calculi, asthma, constipation and expulsion of the placenta caused after miscarriage.
- Rasa: Tikta (bitter)
- Vipaka: Katu (pungent)
- Guna: Guru (heavy)
- Veerya: Ushna (hot)
- Dosha: Balances vata
CARE FOR AILMENTS
The Paederia Foetida is useful in relieving the following ailments:
- The leaves are used in relieving rheumatic pain.
- This is a useful remedy for relieving the problems of infertility and paralytic patients.
- A decoction prepared from the extract of Paederia Foetida is used to relieve problems of chronic abdominal pain, arthritis, over eating and abscesses. Around one to 2 teaspoons of this mixture must be taken twice a day for this purpose.
- The root of the Paederia Foetida is benefiting for relieving the problems of colic, contracting rheumatic pain and gout. It has the properties of a carminative.
- The Paederia Foetida is used to stimulate the central nervous system.
- The leaves of the plant are an anti inflammatory and hence are helpful in relieving any kind of inflammation in the body.
- The entire plant of Paederia Foetida is useful in relieving chronic dysentery and diarrhea.
- The leaves of the herb are boiled and mashed. This poultice is then applied on the abdomen for relieving the problem of urinary retention.
- The powdered Paederia Foetida leaves are applied on the abdomen for relieving flatulence.
- The fruits of the plant are used to relieve tooth pain and for whitening blackened teeth.
- Decoction of the Paederia Foetida is applied on the forehead with water for bringing down the temperature in fever.
The intense odor of the Paederia Foetida is due to methyl mercaptan. The Paederia Foetida is a rich source of linalool. The leaf and stem of the plant contains hentriacontance, ceryl alcohol and hentriacontanol. The herb also contains saponin, quinones, fatty acids, alkaloids, Vitamin C and triterpenoids.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS FOR USING THIS HERB
It is advised to use this product only after consulting a certified practitioner.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
Planet Ayurveda does not produce any product with this herb but has 2 products that have similar benefiting properties:
We at Planet Ayurveda are devising new formulas that will help in providing natural relieves to patients. The formulations that are made by the team are subjected to quality check mechanisms and passed only after the careful quality assurance process. The products manufactured or recommended by Planet Ayurveda do not contain any preservatives and are made of only organically grown ingredients. We are also proud to say that none of the products are tested on animals.