Harpagophytum Procumbens is commonly known as Grapple plant, Griffe du Diable, Harpagophyti Radix , Harpagophytum zeyheri, Racine de Griffe du Diable , Teufelskrallenwurzel, Uncaria Procumbens, Devil’s Claw Root, Garra del Diablo wood spider, Devils Claw and Grapple plant.
This plant grows naturally in the deserts of Kalahari and steppes of Namibia of Southwest Africa. The secondary roots of the plant are used to make decoctions as well as teas.
CHARACTERISTICS OF HARPAGOPHYTUM PROCUMBENS
The Harpagophytum Procumbens has been used for centuries in African folk medicinal history for relieving diseases. It is known for its benefits and miraculous management of ailments such as kidney disorders, rheumatism and headaches. This herb is used widely in the southern part of Africa especially by the Bushment, Bantu and Hottentots. The Devils claw is marketed extensively in the medicine markets of Europe and Canada. This is primarily due to its effectiveness for arthritic pains.
The plant has large tuberous roots that are extensively used in medicines used to reduce pain and stimulate the digestive system.
THERAPEUTIC USE OF THE HARPAGOPHYTUM PROCUMBENS
The Harpagophytum Procumbens plant is majorly used to relieve problems related to the muscle such as arthritis and rheumatism.
This herb is known to be:
- Analgesic: It has pain killer properties.
- Diuretic: A substance that helps in promoting the functioning of kidney and improving the urine quantity.
- Sedative: A substance that helps in calming the nerves and assist in having a sound sleep.
This herb has officially been recognized by the European Pharmacopoeia as an important component of various over the counter preparation and dietary additives that claim to be beneficial for the management of rheumatism.
Studies have shown that this herb is comparable to Vioxx in relieving chronic cases of lower back pain.
The chemical components of Harpagophytum Procumbens make it an effective anti- inflammatory herb. It is rich in Harpagide, Procombide and monterpenic glucoside. Studies conducted on the methanol extracts in the secondary roots of Harpagophytum Procumbens have indicated its positive effect on swollen muscles. According to researches, the toxic levels in the plant are rather low.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
The medicinal herb is useful for relieving the following ailments:
- Osteoarthritis: This disease is rather common in today’s life style. The non-steroidal anti inflammatory properties of the herb help in relieving this ailment naturally.
- Back Pain: Lower back pain complaints can be resolved by the use of Harpagophytum Procumbens.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS FOR USING HARPAGOPHYTUM PROCUMBENS
- It can potentially interfere with the action of warfarin and ticlopidine in the body.
- Devils claw is known to aggravate the secretion of acids in the stomach. This can lead to diseases like peptic ulcer, gastritis to name a few.
- This herb should be used only after consulting a proper certified herbalist.
- The Harpagophytum Procumbens should be used carefully by people suffering from stones in the gall bladder.
- Excessive intake of Harpagophytum Procumbens can cause nausea, headache, anorexia and tinnitus.
- Pregnant and breast feeding mothers should not use this herb.
- Heart problems and blood pressure issues have been reported by people on using this drug. It is thus not advised for patients suffering from heart ailments and circulatory system disorders.
- Diabetic patients should not use Harpagophytum Procumbens as it can drastically reduce the blood sugar levels.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Harpagophytum Procumbens is used:
We at Planet Ayurveda are committed to provide the best to our customers. Our products are purely vegetarian and made of organic ingredients only. We do not practice or endorse the use of the products on animals. These products manufactured by us do not contain any chemicals or preservatives. Buy Ayurvedic supplements from Planet Ayurveda for a healthier and better you.