Glycyrrhiza glabra is popularly known as Mulethi in India. It is known as liquorice across the globe. The Glycyrrhiza glabra plant has been known to pharmacists for over centuries.
In ancient Chinese pharmalogical history the plant was used to rejuvenate after long tiresome activities. It was also used as a thirst quencher, for alleviating freshness, reducing pain, relieving cough as well as distress in breathing. The mention of this herb has been done by one of the greatest surgeons of Indian origin namely Sushruta.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA
This tall plant is used as a popular flavoring agent. The liquorice plant is erect and can grow up to the height of 1.5 meters. It has flowers that are lilac or light purple in color and its leaves is compound in character. The fruit of the liquorice plant is flat and covered densely with small spine like growths. The roots and stems of the plant are used in medicinal drugs.
The liquorice or Glycyrrhiza glabra plant is cultivated across Europe, Turkey, Greece, Russia and parts of Iraq as well as Syria. Large quantities of the roots of Glycyrrhiza glabra are imported in India even though North West parts of the country are famous for its cultivation.
The herb has been researched upon for years and is known to contain glycurrhizin, glycyrrhetinic and glycyrrhizic acids.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF THE HERB
The Glycyrrhiza glabra plant is a benefiting laxative that is prescribed to patients suffering from constipation. This expectorant is used externally for soothing problems of the skin like irritation etc. The powdered liquorice is also a popular remedy used by allopathic doctors.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
The Glycyrrhiza glabra is known to relieve the following problems:
- Stomach ailments: The liquorices or Glycyrrhiza glabra is an excellent remedy for relieving problems of the stomach. It helps in relieving pain and discomfort from the abdominal region. It must be taken in powdered form for stomach problems.
- Sore throat: The herb Glycyrrhiza glabra is a recognized home remedy for relieving sore throats. A small piece of raw Glycyrrhiza glabra was chewed or sucked up on to get relief from any inflammation.
- Cough: The throat is lubricated with a mixture of Glycyrrhiza glabra and honey to relieve problems of dry coughing.
- Myopia: Glycyrrhiza glabra has been used to relieve myopia. Around half teaspoon Glycyrrhiza glabra root powder mixed with honey and glue can be given two times a day with milk on an empty stomach for relieving this problem.
- Constipation: The problem of constipation can be relieved by using this laxative. Powdered Glycyrrhiza glabra taken with jiggery and water can relieve this problem rather instantly.
- Stomach ulcers: The Glycyrrhiza glabra is benefiting in relieving paining due to ulcers. It soothes irritation caused by acids. Pieces of Glycyrrhiza glabra root soaked overnight can relieve this problem.
- Muscular pains: Glycyrrhiza glabra helps in reducing muscular pains. The roots of Glycyrrhiza glabra are used to solve this health issue.
- Mouth disorders: The stick of the dried roots of Glycyrrhiza glabra soaked in water can be used for gargling to relieve problems of oral inflammation.
- Baldness: This effective herb is used to relieve patchy baldness. Small pieces of the root are mixed with milk and saffron to make a paste. This paste is applied on the affected area at bed time on a regular basis. This paste is helpful in relieving baldness, dandruff and excessive hair loss.
- Wounds and scalds: The Glycyrrhiza glabra powder is mixed with butter or honey and is applied on wounds to get effective results. The leaves are applied as a poultice for relieving problems of scalds.
- Corns: The Glycyrrhiza glabra relieves corns. A paste made from the sticks of Glycyrrhiza glabra mixed with sesame or mustard oil can be rubbed onto the hardened skin at bed time.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS FOR USING THIS HERB
The constant use of Glycyrrhiza glabra in relieving the problem of stomach ulcer is not advised. It can lead to excessive increase in weight and also cause puffiness in the body.
The use of Glycyrrhiza glabra must be avoided at the time of pregnancy and by patients who suffer from problems of the heart or kidney.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
Planet Ayurveda recognizes the relieving properties of this herb and is using it in the following product:
Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels. Opt for Planet Ayurveda products and seek good health.