The robust plant of Abrus Precatorius is also known as Indian liquorice, Crabs eye and Jequirity. In Hindi it is called Rati and in Sanskrit it is referred to as Gunja. This plant has been known to be a critical element of Indian, as well as, Chinese medicinal cultures.
CHARACTERISTICS OF ABRUS PRECATORIUS
The Abrus Precatorius was formerly used to weigh gems and precious stones. As per factual recordings the Abrus Precatorius plant was used to weigh the famous Kohinoor Diamond as well. In a few parts of South America the seeds of this plant are used as necklaces for protecting children against illnesses particularly.
This plant is native to the Himalayas in India and is also found in a few parts of Southern India. Today, the Abrus Precatorius is also being harvested from Hawaii, southern parts of America, West Indies, as well as Africa.
The seeds of this plant are small, scarlet in color with black spots around the hilum. The stout of the plant is rectangular in shape and has brownish pods that usually ripen after the winter season. The root of Abrus Precatorius is woody and has a lot of branches.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF ABRUS PRECATORIUS
The main parts of the plant, used to develop medicines are its seeds. It has the following therapeutic properties:
- It is purgative or high on laxative properties
- It is an emetic substance that can stimulate the feeling of vomiting
- It is also an aphrodisiacal herb; thus intensifies sexual desires
- It is also an effective tonic that instills a feeling of vigor and induces vitality
The roots, seeds and the leaves of this herb are used for medicinal purposes in Ayurveda. This plant is known for being beneficial for the hair as well as for relieving acute cases of ulcer. According to studies, a single dosage of this plant is said to be beneficial in regulating 13 menstrual cycles.
Various parts of this plant are used in a number of countries. Some of them are as follows:
- In India, the extract of the root of the plant is used for application to relieve eye diseases.
- In Africa, the root of Abrus Precatorious is used to relieve tapeworm infestation, bilharzias, asthma and gonorrhea.
- In Brazil, the water extract of dried leaves of the plant is taken orally and also applied on cuts as well as swellings.
- The roots of this plant are rich in quinines and sotlavanoids.
- The proteins present in the plant are Abrins I, II and III. These can majorly be found in the seeds of the plant.
- Alkaloids as well as the nitrogen compounds are present in the seeds.
- It is a rich source of flavonoids and anthocyanins, majorly found in the seeds of the herb.
- The carbohydrates including galactose, xylose 25 and arabinose are found present in the aerial parts of the medicinal plant.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
Abrus Precatorius has several reliever properties. Some of these are:
- Antitumor activity: This herb prevents the spread of tumor by having a negative effect on the growth of the Yoshida Sarcoma cells.
- Immunomodulating properties: Research has shown this herb helps in increasing both cellular as well as humoral immune responses.
- Anti inflammatory and anti allergic activity
- Insecticidal in nature
- Antibacterial in nature
- The roots, leaves as well as the seeds of the plant is used to make a powder that is known to relieve the problem of frozen shoulder, scrofula, erysipelas and major skin diseases
- Dental caries can also be relieved with the use of a paste made of Abrus Precatorius.
- The issue of excessive dandruff can be relieved by using the mixture of Abrus Precatorius and oil.
In addition, there are a large number of ailments that can be relieved by the use of this medicinal plant. Some of them are gangrene, cellulites, cholera, snake bites, dysentery, hypertension, keratitis, inflammation, conjunctivitis, epilepsy as well as typhoid.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS WHILE USING ABRUS PRECATORIUS
The seed of Abrus Precatorius is known to be extremely poisonous when taken without proper prescription. Its high toxic levels can cause severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, tachycardia, coma, cold sweats and nausea. Prolonged use of Abrus can lead to anemia and can increase the white blood cell count tremendously. It is therefore best taken under professional guidance and avoided by pregnant women and infants.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS CONTAINING ABRUS PRECATORIUS
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Abrus Precatorius is used:
We at Planet Ayurveda offer the best management advice and prescribe herbs, supplements and Ayurvedic medicines made from 100 percent natural ingredients that are completely chemical and preservatives free. Our products are vegetarian and made from the best quality organic herbs. We are proud to proclaim that our products are never tested on animals. Opt for Planet Ayurveda herbal products and enjoy the health benefits in everyday living.