The herb Myrica Nagi belongs to the plant family Myricaceae and the order Fagales. It is also called the Myrica Esculenta. This herb is commonly referred to by the name Kaiphula in Sanskrit and Box Myrtle and Bay Berry in English. In Hindi, it is known as the Kafal.
The bark that grows on the tree Myrica Nagi is aromatic in nature and owing to it; the tree has been in use for its aromatic properties for ages.
Areas of Cultivation
The plant Myrica Nagi is native to the Hilly regions of the countries Nepal and India. It is found extensively in the northern region of India, especially in the state of Punjab. It also grows wildly in the Garhwal and Kumaon region.
The only part of the tree that has therapeutic value and is used for medicinal purposes is its bark. The bark of Kafal contains Myricitrin which kills bacteria and so the bark is used for arresting bleeding, removing wind from the stomach, arresting secretion, stimulating bile, and for the retention of potassium in the body. It is also used as an anti- septic.
CHARACTERISTICS OF MYRICA NAGI
The tree Myrica Nagi can grow up to 10 meters high and the leaves are long and either pale or rust- colored. The tree has many hairy branches. The flowers that bloom on them are few and far apart and quite small in size as well. The seeds of the plant own a wrinkled appearance.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES USEFUL AGAINST DISEASES
The herb Myrica Nagi has found many uses as a medicinal herb. It can be used internally or as a preparation that can be applied externally.
Its uses are given below in detail:
- Fever– A decoction prepared from the herb can be taken to relieve fever.
- Cold– The decoction prepared from the herb is also effective when it comes to relieving colds.
- Hemorrhage– Medicines that have the herb Myrica Nagi as one of the ingredients prove to be successful in providing a huge amount of relief in case of a hemorrhage.
- Leucorrhea– A decoction made using the bark is also used to wash the vagina regularly to relieve Leucorrhea.
- Intestinal Disorders– Bay Berry is also used in the management of Intestinal Disorders.
- Asthma– Bay Berry also proves to be a great relief provider in case of Asthma.
- Bronchitis– It has also be known to provide relief in Bronchitis as well as other lung diseases.
- Teeth Disorders– A paste made from the bark of the tree must be applied on the teeth and gums regularly so as to strengthen them.
- Wounds and Ulcers– A paste made using the bark of the tree can also be used in the management of wounds and ulcers. It should be applied regularly over the affected area.
USE OF MYRICA NAGI IN AROMATHERAPY
The oil that is extracted from the bark of the tree Myrica Nagi is used in various perfumes, tinctures and oils that are used in Aromatherapy.
PRECAUTIONS AND SAFETY MEASURES WHILE USING MYRICA NAGI
Although Myrica Nagi is a herb that is very safe to use, it should not be consumed before taking advice from a medical practitioner. It is wise to consult a doctor or a practicing medicine man before going ahead with the process of taking in any sort of herbs or herbal extracts. Planet Ayurveda provides customers with the option of obtaining medical advice from their medical practitioners online. Also, all products at Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent vegetarian; contain only herbs and have never been tested on animals.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS USING MYRICA NAGI
As of now there are no Planet Ayurveda products which contain Myrica Nagi. But the below mentioned other products of Planet Ayurveda are useful in some conditions for which Myrica Nagi is used.
Dosage – For best results one to two teaspoons of this churan can be had twice a day.
Planet Ayurveda products are manufactured as per the traditional Ayurvedic science, using only pure and natural herbs; no chemicals or preservatives are used in any of our products. Our products are also never tested on animals and are made under the most stringent quality guidelines. So opt for Planet Ayurveda herbs and supplements for a healthier you.