Peganum harmala is known as Hermal. It is known with other names as Syrian rue and wild rue. The dried seeds of Hermal plant are used for medicinal purposes.
CHARACTERISTICS OF PEGANUM HARMALA
It is a bushy herb and the leaves are seen with various narrow segments. The flowers are solitary and capsular. The fruits are spherical with brownish seeds of various shapes inside.
THERAPEUTIC PROPERTIES OF PEGANUM HARMALA
The Herb Shows Some Therapeutic Properties Like:
Hermal shows stimulating action on the motor tracts of the central nervous system and cerebrum. In traditional system of medicine this herb is used as an aphrodisiac and a purifier. It also has anti-bacterial properties.
The seeds comprise of four various alkaloids, peganine, harmolol, harmaline and harmine. The stems and blossoms yield 1- peganine alakaloid.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This Plant is Useful in relieving Certain Ailments Like:
- Fevers: Hermal is effective in relieving remittent and intermittent fevers. It is also helpful in relieving chronic malaria. The seeds of the plant are given in powder, infusion or decoction form.
- Asthma: The herb is used for relieving asthma. Powder of the seeds in a dosage of around 2 to 8 grams gives the required relief.
- Tapeworm: Hermal seeds are efficient in eliminating tapeworm infestations. The alkaloid hermaline, present in the plant exhibits anthelmintic properties. Powder of the seeds is used to expel the worms.
- Insomnia: The herb shows narcotic properties and it can be used for reducing sleeplessness and insomnia.
- Menstrual disorders: Hermal is effective in relieving difficult and painful menstruation and also to regulate menstrual periods. Seeds are made into a decoction and it is given in the dosage of 15 to 30 ml.
- Lactation: Hermal influences the secretion of breast milk in lactating mothers.
- Laryngitis: It is effective in the management of laryngitis or the inflammation of the larynx. A decoction of the seeds can be used as a mouthwash.
- Head lice: A paste of the roots of Hermal plant along with mustard oil should be applied externally for killing head lice.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN USING PEGANUM HARMALA
The drug should be used only in the prescribed quantities. Over dosage may lead to poison and show severe reactions on the nervous system. To know about the correct dosage and usage, it is better to consult a medical practitioner.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE PEGANUM HARMALA
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Hermal is used:
Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels.