The Madhuca Indica is popularly known as Mahua in India. This tree is found in central parts of India and sub mountainous parts of the Himalayan region. The barks, flowers, leaves as well as the seeds of the plant are used in medicinal drugs.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE MADHUCA INDICA
Madhuca Indica is also known as butter tree. This large deciduous tree usually is 20 meters in height and has a large top. The leaves are thick and small. The musk scented flowers are fleshy and dull near the end of the branches. The fruits of the plant are also fleshy and are greenish brown in color with shiny seeds.
The tree of the Madhuca Indica is an important source of food for tribes in central as well as western India. The plant is also used in alcohol, syrups and vinegars. The oil of the plant is also an additive in the manufacturing of soaps.
The leaves of the Madhuca Indica tree contain alkaloid glucosidic saponin. The seeds also contain fatty oil. Recently a few studies show that the Madhuca Indica plant contains a sapogenin.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF THE HERB
The Madhuca Indica is used to arrest the excessive bleeding or secretion of tannin. The bark of the Madhuca tree is known for its astringent and tonic properties. The flowers of the plant help in removing catarrhal matter as well as phlegm from the bronchial tubes. They are known to soothe the skin and work positively on the mucous membranes. A spirit made from the flowers of the tree is considered highly nutritional and can be used as a tonic.
The use of this herb can relieve the following problems:
- Hair problems
- Fatigue and Weakness
- Cough and Cold
- Respiratory Problems
- Rheumatic pains
- Piles and Constipation
CARE FOR AILMENTS
The following problems of the health can be relieved by using the Madhura Indica plant:
- Bronchitis: The flowers of the herb are useful in relieving chronic cases of bronchitis and cough. It should be given in doses of 30 gms with 250 ml of milk for this purpose.
- Rheumatism: The mixture of the bark can be used to help relieve rheumatism. The oil extracted from the seeds of Madhuca is applied locally for this purpose.
- Diabetes: The mixture of the bark can be prescribed to a person suffering from diabetes.
- Piles: the oil of the tree can be extracted from the seeds and can be used for relieving piles. This is done because the oil is a benefiting laxative that is helpful in relieving chronic constipation.
- Orchitis: The vapours of Madhuca Indica leaves are used in relieving pain and relieving inflammation of testicles.
- Increasing lactation: The flower of the Madhuca Indica is prescribed to new nursing mothers. The seeds are also used for the same purpose.
- Bleeding Gums: Lotion made by mixing around 4 ml of liquid extract of the bark mixed with around 300 ml of water is a good gargling agent for relieving problems of spongy and bleeding gums.
- Tonsilitis: The lotion of the plant can be used in gargles for relieving acute tonsillitis and pharyngitis.
- Eczema: The leaves of the herb are used to relieve eczema. The leaves smeared with sesame oil can be heated and applied on the affected area.
- Skin problems: The ash of the leaves of the Madhuca Indica can be mixed with ghee and used as a dressing to relieve burns and scalds. It can also be used to relieve itching problems.
The bark of the tree is known to possess anti diabetic properties. The use of this herb can reduce blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS FOR USING THIS HERB
It is advised to use this herb only after consulting a certified practitioner; especially, in case of pregnant women, lactating mothers and infants.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Madhuca Indica is used:
We at team Planet Ayurveda are constantly working on providing the best to our customers. Our teams of experienced herbalists are working continually to formulate naturally effective drugs to relieve health problems. We at Planet Ayurveda are proud to say that we use only organically grown ingredients in our products. We assure that none of our products contain any chemical or preservative. We neither endorse nor practice the testing on products on animals.