Goldenseal, Yellow Root, Eyebalm and Orange root are the common names of Hydrastis Canadensis. It is indigenous to the northeaster parts of the US. It has been in use in the Catawba, Iroquois, and Kickapoo tribes as an insect repellent, a stimulant, a diuretic, and a wash for inflamed or sore eyes. It was used to relieve wounds caused by arrows and ulcers. It was also used to produce yellow dye.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED
Rhizome and the dried root of the tree are used for medicinal purposes.
CHARACTERISTICS OF HYDRASTIS CANADENSIS
It is a perennial herb. The stems bear one to three leaves which emerge from a creeping rhizome. Above the leaves white flowers are seen which later develop into small red fruits. The rhizome is twisted, yellow or brown in colour and wrinkled. It grows in rich shady soils. But it is also cultivated in farms.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF HYDRASTIS CANADENSIS
The herb shows some therapeutic powers. They are:
- It is a fetid, bitter herb which has laxative, haemostatic and stomachic properties. It can reduce inflammation, bleeding and stimulates bile juice flow and uterine contractions. It has decongestive effect and improves digestion.. It works effectively against amebic and bacterial infections.
- After delivery of the baby it works efficiently to stop bleeding and diarrhea.
- It is a stimulant of appetite. It also helps in digestion and flow of bile and gastric juices and cats like a mild laxative.
- It can be used to fight mucus and sinusitis. For women it relieves painful menstruation and pelvic inflammation disease.
- Goldenseal is useful in relieving ear inflammation, eczema, gum disease and vaginal inflammation.
It comprises of isoquinoline alkaloids like canadine, berberine and hydrastine and also other minor compounds. It contains an active compound knows as Berberine which is widely used in Chinese traditional medicine.
CARE FOR AILMENTS:
The herb is useful in relieving ailments like:
- Stomach upset: As Goldenseal helps in digestion, it is used to relieve stomach upsets and also works like an antibacterial agent. It is known as a natural antibiotic and is used in combination with Echinacea for strengthening the immune system.
- Upper respiratory problems: Goldenseal is usually found in herbal formulations for relieving colds, flu and hay fever or allergic rhinitis. It is helpful in easing a sore throat.
- Others: it is mostly used for relieving eye, skin and mucous membrane infectious and inflammatory conditions like conjunctivitis, sinusitis and urinary tract infections.
It is also used in mouthwashes to relieve canker sores and sore throats.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN USING HYDRASTIS CANADENSIS
It is always advisable to use any herb or herbal product after consulting a medical practitioner. Over dosage may lead to serious complications. Goldenseal should not be used during pregnancy and people who are using blood thinning medicines also are not advised to consume Goldenseal.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE HYDRASTIS CANADENSIS
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Goldenseal is used:
All our products are manufactured with 100 percent vegetarian and natural ingredients. No chemicals or preservatives are used. Ancient Ayurvedic texts are referred for deciding the combination of drugs. We never believe in testing our products on animals. Various levels of quality checks are performed before the final packing of the medicine. It is our constant endeavour to deliver quality products to our customers. For healthy life, opt for Planet Ayurveda products.