The common name for Euphoria Hirta is Snakeweed. In Hindi it is known with the name Dudhi and the Sanskrit name is Dugadhika. It is a popular folklore medicine for relieving dengue in Philippines. The plant has the reputation of increasing flow of milk in lactating women. Other women related disorders and respiratory tract disorders are relieved with this plant. This plant is indigenous to India and is found on wastelands and roadsides.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED
Whole plant is used as a medicinal supplement.
CHARACTERISTICS OF EUPHORBIA HIRTA
It is an erect, small, ascending, annual plant which reaches a height of 50 cm. The stem is hairy and the leaves are oblong, elliptical. Flowers are small, crowded and numerous seen together in thick cymes about 1cm in diameter. The fruits are yellow in colour, three celled, hairy and have keeled capsules which are around 1-2 mm in diameter. They contain three four sided, brown, wrinkled and angular seeds.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF EUPHORBIA HIRTA
This plant is known for its benefits in relieving female disorders. Other ailments like cough, coryza, respiratory ailments, asthma and bronchitis are also relieved with the help of Euphorbia Hirta. In India is has been used for relieving worm infestations usually seen in children, jaundice, gonorrhea, pimples, tumors and digestive problems.
It comprises of triterpenes, phytosterols, alkanes, polyphenols, tannins and flavonoids.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb offers relieves for several ailments. Some of these are:
- Bronchitis: In Ayurveda an extract of the Euphorbia Hirta is given to bronchitis patients. Other symptoms like colds, bronchitis, asthma and coughs are also relieved.
- Venereal diseases: The extract of this plant is effective in controlling venereal diseases like gonorrhea and syphilis.
- Impotency: This herb is useful in relieving sexual disorders which are seen in men. Impotency and premature ejaculation are controlled by using this herb.
- Female disorders: Euphorbia relieves several female disorders. A decoction made from the root of the plant increases lactation in women nursing their babies.
- Diarrhea: Symptoms of diarrhea and dysentery can be controlled using this herb.
- Mouth ulcers: A decoction made from the root of Euphorbia plant is used for gargling to relieve thrush and mouth ulcers.
- It is used for relieving toothache, severe headache, rheumatism and colic.
- The extract of the plant is used as an antidote for snakebites and scorpion stings.
- The latex of the plant is used to remove thorns from the skin.
- Uro-genital diseases like kidney stones, menstrual problems and venereal diseases are relieved using this plant.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN USING EUPHORBIA HIRTA
Euphorbia Hirta should never be used during pregnancy. Over dosage will lead to complications. This herb should be used only under the guidance of an authorized practitioner.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE EUPHORBIA HIRTA
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Euphorbia Hirta is used:
All our Planet Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels. Opt for Planet Ayurveda products and seek long lasting, good health.