Euphorbia Him is known as Lal Dudhi in Hindi. It is known with other names like snake’s weed, cat’s hair and Australian weed. It is widely seen in India and its neighboring places.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED
Entire plant is collected during flower and fruit bearing state, dried and used as a medicinal herb.
CHARACTERISTICS OF EUPHORBIA HIM
It is a herb and an annual plant which stands erect. It mostly grows like a weed. The stems are round and covered with yellowish hairs, dark or green small leaves. These leaves have pale colour on the lower side. The flowers are small whitish, have small stalks and seen in clusters. Fruits are hairy with three angled, light brownish seeds and wrinkled.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF EUPHORBIA HIM
The leaves of the plant are used in stopping bleeding and fighting against spasmodic disorders. They control fever and give a pleasant cool feeling. The leaves show a soothing effect on the mucous membrane and skin. They act as a mild laxative as well. The leaves comprise of hard cellulose content. Leaves can be made into a paste, juice, decoction and powder and used for relieving several ailments. They can be mixed with holy basil.
The plant contains quercetin, a phenolic substance and gallic acid. Alkaloids and traces of essential oil are also seen.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb offers relieves for several ailments. Some of these are:
- Respiratory disorders: The herb has a special place in Ayurvedic system of relieving. It is widely used for relieving disorders of respiratory tract. Cough, colds, asthma, bronchitis and coryza can be relieved with this herb.
- Diarrhea: Euphorbia is effective in relieving diarrhea. A paste of the herb can be used for relieving this disease.
- Genito-Urinary disorders: Venereal diseases like gonorrhea and other diseases can be effectively relieved with Euphorbia. It is also helpful in eliminating disorders like premature ejaculation, impotency and spermatorrhoea.
- Worms: The leaves of Euphorbia plant have anthelmintic properties and successful relieve intestinal worms especially in children.
- Milk secretion: The plant promotes the secretion of breast milk in lactating mothers.
- Skin ailments: skin disorders like ulcers can be efficiently relieved with Euphorbia. The paste of the leaves can be applied on burns and wounds. Warts can be relieved with the milky secretion of the plant. It has to be only applied externally.
- Cracked tongue and lips: The sap or the milky juice of the plant can be used to relieve cracked and chapped tongue and lips.
- Other uses: The sap or the milky juice of the plant can be applied on the scalp for promoting hair growth.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN USING EUPHORBIA HIM
Euphorbia should be used only under medical supervision. It should not be given to pregnant women. Over dosage of the herb may lead to complications.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE EUPHORBIA HIM
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Euphorbia Him is used:
All our Planet Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels. Opt for Planet Ayurveda products and seek long lasting, good health.