Digitalis Purpurea is also known by the name of common foxglove, lady’s glove, foxglove and purple foxglove. It is known as Tilpushpi in Hindi. It belongs to the species called Digitalis and is from the family of Scrophulariaceae. It is native to the temperate parts of Europe and North America.
CHARACTERISTICS OF DIGITALIS PURPUREA
The herbaceous biennial plant of Digitalis has spirally arranged leaves. They are simple and around 35 cm long. The leaves are covered with glandular hairs that impart a woolly texture. The stem is typically 1 to 2 meters tall and the flowers are arranged in a glitzy fashion. The flowers hang in an elongated cluster and each of them is tubular in shape. The inside of the flower is purple in color and is heavily spotted. The flowering occurs in early summer and is frequented by bees.
The sub species of the herb are:
- D. p. subspecies purpurea – most of Europe
- D. p. subspecies. mariana – Iberia
- D. p. subspecies. heywoodii – Iberia
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF DIGITALIS PURPUREA
The extract from the leaves is used as an effective medication for heart failure. It has been recognized as dropsy and is known to increase the urine flow.
The constituents of Digitalis Purpurea are glycosides namely gitoxin, gelatin and digitoxin. All these glycosides have the property to promote cardio vascular activity in the human system. The leaves contain small amounts of glycosides. The seeds of the plant contain amber colored fatty oil which is bland to taste.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
The Digitalis Purpurea leaves contain a resinous matter and can be used as a tincture. It is helpful in relieving diseases such as:
- Heart Disorders: It is useful in relieving congested arterial system and is miraculous in stimulating the muscle activity in the body. The herb nourishes the heart and improves the blood circulation in the body.
- Kidney disorders: This medicinal herb is useful for the proper functioning of the kidney. It helps in removing obstructions in the kidney and helps in improving the urine flow from the body.
- Wounds and Burns: Digitalis Purpurea has been used for long as an ointment for application on burns as well as wounds. It is very effective in soothing and repairing damaged cells.
- Prescribed as a hypodermic injection.
- Excellent as an antidote for relieving Aconite poisoning.
As per ancient Ayurvedic medical science this herb is usually suggested in the form of powder, tincture or tablet.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS FOR USING THIS HERB
The herb can cause problems such as nausea, drowsiness, blurred vision, vomiting as well as indigestion. It can poison and reduce the pulse rate of a person drastically. The leaves, flowers and the seeds of the Digitalis contain a poisonous substance called cardiac glycoside digitoxin.
It is advised to use this herb only after consulting a certified herbalist.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Digitalis Purpurea is used:
We at team Planet Ayurveda are working tirelessly to provide only the best to our clients. We are constantly working to innovate and discover the natural medicines available. Our researchers are studying various herbs and are analyzing them thoroughly. Each product from the company is examined under strict quality standards by expert herbalists. We do not use any preservatives in our products. We believe in a naturally healthy lifestyle.
Ayurveda is a medical science with thousands of years of history. It has been experimented and tested for decades. Nature has the key to almost all diseases we have heard of and hence, we use only organic ingredients in our products. We do not practice or endorse the testing of these products on animals.