The Cymbopogon citratus is a perennial herb that is colloquially known as Bhustrina, Gamdatrama and Lemon grass. The Cymbopogon citratus is aromatic and has tall grass with rhizomes as well as densely tufted roots that are fibrous. It has peculiar short underground stems that has ring like segments all over. The green colored leaves are leathery and hang from the plant in dense clusters. The blades of the Cymbopogon citratus grass are usually 90 cms long and the width of the grass is approximately 0.5 cm.
The lemon grass contains essential oil which is cherry red in color and has a pungent taste. The oil smells like lemon with citral as its main constituent. The contents of the oil also vary on the age of the grass. The dry Cymbopogon citratus herb yields around 0.4 percent essential oil and contains 72.3 per cent of citral.
The Cymbopogon citratus has active ingredients like myrcene that make it an anti bacterial and pain reliever. It also produces hydrosol as a residue of steam distillation of Cymbopogon Citratus. This compound is used in skin care products like lotions, creams and face cleansers for its medicinal properties.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF THE HERB
The herb is a stimulant, aromatic, anti spasmodic, tonic as well as a proven counter irritant. It is known to increase the secretion and discharge of urine from the body. The oil distilled from the leaves is majorly used for medicinal purposes.
The Cymbopogon citratus is often sold in stem form. It grows in warmer temperate regions like United Kingdom. It has been used in folk medicine of Brazil and is believed to be an effective anxiolytic, anti convulsant and hypnotic.
Studies have also shown that Cymbopogon citratus is an antioxidant, anti inflammatory and cyto-protective. It also has anti fungal properties.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
Cymbopogon citratus is known to relieve ailments such as:
- Flatulence: Cymbopogon citratus oil is a proven carminative and is useful in relieving the problem of flatulence. It is usually given in doses of 3-6 drops and is mixed with sugar. The emulsion of the Cymbopogon citratus is prepared by mixing around 3 to 6 drops of common Cymbopogon citratus oil.
- Digestive disorders: The Cymbopogon citratus is used to strengthen the functioning of stomach and also in promoting its action. The herb is benefiting for relieving problems of indigestion and relieving stomach issues like spasmodic pain, irritable bowel syndrome, cholera as well as other gastric troubles.
- Fever: The Cymbopogon citratus induces perspiration and helps in bring the body temperature to normal. It provides a feeling of coolness. The raw juice of Cymbopogon citratus is used for this purpose.
- Menstrual disorders: The infusion of Cymbopogon citratus grass in mixed with black pepper for providing relief in cases of painful and difficult menstruation.
- Rheumatism and other joint pains: Cymbopogon citratus can be used locally to relieve the problem of rheumatic joints, sprains and lumbago. The oil of Cymbopogon citratus is mixed with coconut oil for making a stimulating ointment. The undiluted oil is also used in chronic cases of joint pain.
- Ringworm: Leaves of Cymbopogon citratus are used to relieve ringworm infections. The local application is made with Cymbopogon citratus and buttermilk for this purpose.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS FOR USING THIS HERB
The use of the Cymbopogon citratus must be done under the guidance of a certified herbalist.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
As on date there are no products offered by Planet Ayurveda that contain the Cymbopogon citratus herb. Instead the team of Planet Ayurveda has made a revolutionary Stress Support capsule that has similar properties.
The team at Planet Ayurveda is constantly working on providing the best. The formulations made by the research herbalists are free of any preservative. The products are not tested on animals and are made from organic ingredients only. We at Planet Ayurveda have a strict quality checking mechanism that is used to maintain the high quality standards of the products formulated by our team.