The herb Arnica belongs to two herbs families, namely, Asteraceae and N. O. Compositae and is scientifically referred to as Arnica Montana. This herb is commonly known by names such as Leopard’s Bane, Mountain Tobacco, Mountain Snuff and Wolf’s Bane.
The therapeutic value of the herb Arnica Montana was discovered hundreds of years ago and medicinal preparations from this herb have been known to be in use since times immemorial. It made its way to European folk medicine at a very early stage and even before that time, it was used for relieving sore throats, improving circulation, for relieving acne, muscle pain, bruises and the likes. Many also used it to relieve gunshot wounds and to provide relief to abrasions and cuts.
AREAS OF CULTIVATION
Arnica is primarily cultivated in the southern part of Russia and the mountainous regions of Europe. It is also grown in some parts of North America.
The flowering heads of the herb are used for medicinal purposes. They can be either fresh or dried. Some medicinal preparations also make use of the rhizomes of this herb; but these are very few in number.
CHARACTERISTICS OF ARNICA MONTANA
Arnica Montana can be best described as a herb that is bitter to taste, has a light fragrance, with chemical properties of an astringent. It proves to be extremely beneficial to the immune system and the circulatory system. It is a pain reliever and helps relieve bacterial, as well as, fungal infections.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES USEFUL AGAINST DISEASES
The herb Arnica Montana has found many uses as a medicinal herb. It can be used internally or as a preparation that can be applied externally.
Its uses are given below in detail:
- For internal consumption, Arnica Montana is prescribed in the form of a tincture that is made up of plant material extracted from the flower heads of the herb. This tincture is helpful in cases of heart failure. It is also often prescribes to people suffering from corollary heart diseases.
- It is a common ingredient of mouth washes or gargles prescribed for relieving the mucus membrane and/or other inflammations that may occur in the mouth.
- Arnica Montana is used in the forms of gels, creams, ointments and liniments to be applied externally for relieving sprains, muscle pulls, bruises, etc.
- It not only has anti-inflammatory, but pain relieving properties too and works well as an anti-biotic as well.
- It can also be applied to relieve varicose ulcers and chilblains.
- It should be applied immediately after an injury occurs as it prevents the site of injury from swelling and bruising and also checks blood platelets from coagulating at the site.
- It is known to provide relief to stiffness of muscles and rheumatic pain.
- Sunburns can also be relieved by applying ointments containing the herb.
USE OF ARNICA IN AROMATHERAPY
Some volatile oils can be extracted from the roots as well as the rhizomes of the herb Arnica Montana. These oils are mostly used in perfumes. However, the use of Arnica in Aromatherapy is very limited. Whenever, its oil is used, it is in its macerated form. This means the oil is always diluted with base oil for use. Arnica essential oil finds its use in providing relief to cuts, bruises, swollen regions and strained muscles.
PRECAUTIONS AND SAFETY MEASURES WHILE USING ARNICA MONTANA:
Arnica Montana is known to be an extremely strong and potent herb and so must be used with precaution.
- When being used internally, the prescription of the doctor must be followed right down to the tiniest detail. If the right dosage is not followed, it may lead to symptoms such as heart irregularities, tremors and/or dizziness, nausea or vomiting.
- While using externally, precaution must be exercised and the right amount must be applied to prevent side effects ranging from mild irritation to skin problems. It should never be applied on sensitive skin or broken skin.
- People who are hypersensitive or those who are allergic to herbs should refrain from using it.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT MAKE USE OF ARNICA MONTANA
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that have Arnica Montana as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Arnica Montana is used:
It is always advisable to consult a practitioner before using any herbs or supplements. We at Planet Ayurveda maintain stringent quality restrictions for manufacturing herbs, supplements and Ayurvedic medicines. We use 100 percent vegetarian and natural ingredients for all preparations. We proudly claim that we never use animals for testing our products. If you want to lead a healthy life style, choose Planet Ayurveda products.