Anethum Sowa is called Sowa in India. It is also called Dill in a few regions of the world. The biennial herb has a smooth surface with fine dissected leaves. It has small yellow flowers and has elliptical fruits. The plant has a single stalk that grows up to the height of almost 1 meter. This plant was identified for use by the ancient Romans and Greeks. The Greek community used it to cover their head to induce sleep and relieve insomnia. In the middle ages this herb was also considered as a charm to ward off bad omen.
CHARACTERISTICS OF ANETHUM SOWA
Anethum Sowa grows majorly in the Mediterranean and Scandinavian Regions. It has been cultivated for more than 200 years and grows widely in the region of North Africa, Asia and other tropical countries.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF ANETHUM SOWA
The Anethum Sowa leaves are stimulant in nature. They are used to increase secretion and release of urine. It is also helpful in relieving spasmodic disorders. It is a comforting medicine that helps the stomach functions. The Anethum Sowa herb is known to be:
- Carminative in nature
- Contains deodorant like properties
- Anti inflammatory properties
- Cardiac tonic
- Anti dysenteric in nature
A research conducted on the Anethum Sowa showed that it contains mineral, acid insoluble ash and moisture. The seeds of the Anethum Sowa are used to obtain an essential oil commonly known as Dill oil. The roots also contain an essential oil which has high contents of a-b pinene. This herb has a considerably high proportion of terpene.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
The Anethum Sowa is used widely to relieve ailments such as:
- Digestive Disorders: cooked Dill if used regularly helps in improving the digestive system. It helps in severe conditions of constipation. One to two spoons of fresh Dill leaves can be given to babies. It is also effective to relieve flatulent colic, hiccup, hyperacidity and diarrhea. Honey and dill oil helps in improving stomach conditions. This herb is prescribed to be used for children who complain of pain in the abdominal area.
- Diarrhea and Dysentery: The carminative oil of Anethum Sowa is a powerful remedy for diarrhea. The herb can be roasted, powdered and added to buttermilk.
- Respiratory disorders: The seeds of the plant are an effective remedy for relieving respiratory problems such as influenza, bronchitis and influenza. Approximately 60 grams of the infusion and a little honey if taken thrice daily can be very beneficial.
- Menstrual Disorders: Anethum Sowa is extremely helpful in the regulation of menstrual flow in young women especially. It is effective for people who complain of spasmodic pain. This is a remedy recommended to people who face issues in menstruation due to anemia. About 60 grams of fresh leaves mixed with parsley juice if taken thrice can help in relieving such disorders.
- Bad breath: Dill seeds are helpful in relieving the problem of bad breath as well. The seeds are chewed to relieve the problem of stinking breath.
- Boils and swelling: Paste made of fresh Anethum Sowa leaves can be put on ripe blood boils. It application with haldi or turmeric powder is helpful in preventing ulcers. An excellent liniment can be made if this seed is mixed with sesame oil and put on joints.
- Pregnancy and lactation: Dill is known for its benefits to pregnant women and lactating mothers. Its regular use increases the quantity of breast milk. It also helps in preventing early ovulation thus making it a natural birth control device.
According to Ayurvedic studies the Anethum Sowa is recommended for use to patients who complain of having intestinal worms, dyspepsia, inflammation, colic, flatulence, bronchitis, spleen ailments, cardiac debility, syphilis, liver and urinary infections, hiccough, asthma, hemorrhoids, spermatorrhea ,amenorrhea and fever to name a few.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS FOR USING THIS HERB
The leaves of Anethum Sowa are slightly pungent and bitter to taste. They should thus, be taken with mild leafy vegetables.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
The above mentioned diseases are majorly due to problems in the digestive system. Planet Ayurveda provides a revolutionary product that helps the proper functioning of the digestive system.
We at team Planet Ayurveda, strictly use only organically grown ingredients in our products. We are committed to provide only the best to our customers. We do not use any chemicals or preservatives in the products. Our products are not tested on animals and we do not endorse animal testing as well. Our products are vegetarian and healthy.