The herb Acacia Nilotica belongs to the order Fabales and the family Fabaceae. This herb is commonly known by the name Babul. It also has a unique Indian name, i.e., Kikar.
Although the tree Babul was discovered long back, knowledge about its medicinal properties came to the fore a long time after that. In ancient times, it was not used for any particular therapeutic purposes. It was only recently that these properties of the Kikar were discovered.
Areas of Cultivation
The tree Acacia Nilotica is native to the Sind region of Pakistan but also occurs as a wild plant in countries like India and Africa.
Although the tree it basically cultivated for its bark, its leaves, pods and gums also have various uses in the world of medicine. The bark of the Acacia Nilotica secrets a special gum which is popularly known as the Babul Gum and is used as a key ingredient of various medicines. The leaves and the fruits of the plant are rich in tannin and gallic acid.
CHARACTERISTICS OF ACACIA NILOTICA
The Acacia Nilotica is a very large tree that can grow up to a height of 14 meters and one of its special characteristics is that its branches have thorns. Very few trees have this property. The bark is of a darkish grey color. The flowers on the tree grow in spherical bunches and are yellowish in color.
The leaves of the tree are used as ingredients in medicines used for checking the flow of blood or secretion. The bark also has the same properties and is used for the same purposes. The contents of the gum are beneficial in relieving any kind of skin disease or irritation. They also come in handy while relieving the alimentary canal, the genito-urinary organs and the inflammation of the pharynx membranes. The medicines prepared using the pods of the plant are helpful in removing phlegm and / or other catarrhal matter from inside the bronchial tubes.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES USEFUL AGAINST DISEASES
The herb Acacia Nilotica has found many uses as a medicinal herb. It can be used internally or as a preparation that can be applied externally.
Its uses are given below in detail:
- It can be consumed internally in regular doses of 12 grams each to provide relief in the case of diarrhea.
- Mouthwashes made of material from this tree should be used while gargling to relieve tonsillitis.
- It is extremely effective in keeping the gums and the teeth healthy. The bark of the Babul tree must be chewed every morning regularly and without fail. This not only strengthens the teeth but also cleans them.
- An application prepared using the gum from the Acacia Nilotica mixed with the pulp of mango can be applied on the skin in case of eczema. It proves to be very helpful.
- It is also used in relieving the genital disorder Leucorrhea. The bark of the tree is used to make a preparation which provides a lot of relief when applied to the vagina.
- In the case of Conjunctivitis, the leaves of the Kikar tree should be ground to prepare a paste and then this paste must be applied over the eyes. Preferably, it should be left on overnight; it provides a lot of relief.
- The leaves, when boiled with water leave a residue in it. This water should be applied regularly over the eyes to relieve Epiphora, which is a disorder in which the eyes continuously keep watering and tears from them keep flowing onto the cheeks.
- Pastes made using parts of this tree are also very effective in relieving erectile dysfunction, night fall and other disorders that affect the male genital organs.
USE OF ACACIA NILOTICA IN AROMATHERAPY
The herb Acacia Nilotica has not found any use in the field of Aromatherapy as yet.
PRECAUTIONS AND SAFETY MEASURES WHILE USING ACACIA NILOTICA:
Generally, the Acacia Nilotica is a very safe herb. The medicines prepared from this do not have any side effects or fatal effects and have never been known to chaos any discomfort to the patient. Nevertheless, it should be taken only after consultation with a doctor and in the correct form.
PLANET AYURVEDA THAT MAKE USE OF ACACIA NILOTICA:
We at team Planet Ayurveda are constantly working to provide our customers with chemical free products that are made from organically grown ingredients. We are proud to state that none of our products have been tested on any animal. Try our products for a healthier and disease free life.