Gymnema sylvestre is commonly known as Periploca of the Wood. In Hindi, the name is Gurmar and in Sanskrit it is known as Meshasringi. In India it has been used for relieving diabetes since hundreds of years. When the leaves of the plant are chewed, sugar taste is suppressed and hence, the name gurmar, which means sugar destroyer.
This plant is found in northern parts, western part and Deccan Peninsula of India, tropical Africa and Sri Lanka. It is known with other common names like Australian cowplant, cowplant, and miracle fruit.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED
Root and leaves of the plant are used for medicinal purposes.
CHARACTERISTICS OF GYMNEMA SYLVESTRE
It is a large, woody climber. The leaves are ovate or elliptical and opposite. Both upper and lower surfaces are pubescent. Flowers are yellow, small found in umbellate cymes, lanceolate and around 8cm in length.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF GYMNEMA SYLVESTRE
This herb has several therapeutic powers like:
- Gymnemic acid present in the plant shows anti-diabetic properties because of which blood sugar levels decrease considerably.
- Gymnemic acid prohibits the absorption of glucose by the intestines and empty calories will not get stored. This feature encourages weight loss.
- The leaves have been used for water retention, liver diseases, stomach ailments and constipation.
- This herb is also known to lower triglycerides or bad cholesterol.
- Gymnema will help to curb craving for sweets.
- In traditional medicine it is used to relieve cardiovascular diseases, obesity, constipation, cough, liver diseases, weight loss, obesity and rheumatoid arthritis. It is also used as a laxative, urine stimulant, digestive stimulant, snake venom antidote and aphrodisiac.
Gymnemic acid which is present in the plant belongs to a group of oleanane type triterpenoid saponins. Other constituents like anthraquinones, flavones, pentatriacontane, resins, tartaric acid, formic acid, lupeol, butyric acid are present.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN USING GYMNEMA SYLVESTRE
Though the usage of Gymnema is considered to be safe, it is not suggested for pregnant and lactating women. Persons with allergies to the milkweed family may experience allergic reactions. It is advisable to consult a medical practitioner before consuming any herb or herbal supplements.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE GYMNEMA SYLVESTRE
Planet Ayurveda recognizes the relieving properties of this herb and is using it in the following product:
All our Planet Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels. Opt for Planet Ayurveda products and seek good health.