Centella Asiatica is used as a medicinal plant in south East Asia and India since several centuries. The common names of Centella Asiatica are Gotu Kola and Indian Pennywort. In Hindi it is known with the name Kula Kudi. The Sanskrit name is Mandukparni.
Centella Asiatica is found in Sri Lanka, India, south East Asia, China, South Africa, Madagascar, south eastern USA, Venezuela, Mexico and Columbia. It is known as tiger herb in India as tigers roll on these plants when they are wounded.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CENTELLA ASIATICA
It is a slender, perennial, herbaceous creeper which flowers in August and September. The plant has a mild, bitter taste and the smell is similar to that of tobacco. Leaves are kidney shaped, glabrous, around 2-5 cm in diameter and have long petioles. The stems are reddish in colour and the flowers are light violet in colour. The fruits of this plant are enclosed in hard and thick pericarp.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED AS MEDICINE
The aerial parts of the plant are used as medicine.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF CENTELLA ASIATICA
This herb has several relieving powers; some of them are as follows:-
The plant has wound relieving properties and deals with venous insufficiency. It is used as a general tonic. Centella promotes healthy tissue. It prevents the formation of scar tissue and relieves leprous ulcers. Duodenal and stomach ulcers are also effectively relieved and it acts as a multifunctional tonic, well-known as an adaptogen.
- It improves blood circulation in capillaries and veins.
- Centella has the power to stimulate nail and hair growth.
- It is effective in reducing arthritis.
- It strengthens the tissues of the skin and improves vascularization of connective tissues.
- This plant has anti-psoriatic qualities.
- It restores the firmness of tissues and improves the elasticity of the skin.
- The sapinins present in the plant prevent the formation of excessive scars and improves the antioxidants present in the wounds.
- Centella is useful in relieving skin graft, gangrene, surgical wounds, burns, traumatic injuries, ulcers, chronic skin lesions and leprosy wounds.
- It is effective in relieving eczema, psoriasis, thread veins, varicose veins, stretch marks, and strengthens veins and arteries.
- Centella is useful for patients who have suffered second and third degree burns. The extract prevents the swelling of skin, shrinkage, formation of scars and helps in faster relieving of the wounds.
Centella contains various ingredients like asiaticoside, brahmoside, madecassoside, thiamine, pyridoxine, riboflavin, aspirate, Vitamin K, alanine, magnesium sodium and calcium.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb acts as a relieve for many ailments. Some of these are:
- Venous insufficiency: Centella strengthens the weakened veins. It acts on the connectives tissues of the vascular wall and effectively relieves venous insufficiency.
- Cancer: It is used for relieving cancerous growths and tumors. It does not suppress the auto immune system in the body and does not produce toxins.
- Mental retardation: It improves concentration, alertness and focus hence is useful in increasing IQ and relieving mental retardation.
- Leprosy: In traditional African relieving system, centella has been used for the management of leprosy.
- Anxiety: In India this herb has been used for the last 3000 years to relieve anxiety, stress, to increase concentration and alertness.
- Depression: In the Far East centella has been used to relieve depression. In China it is known as Fountain of Youth.
- Other uses: Centella has been used in the manufacture of tonics, slimming formulas, body firming products, anti-aging skin care products and wound relieving medicines.
- Patients who underwent operations can use this herb for prevention of bed sores, wound relieving, epithelial ulcers and it also helps in preventing muscular atrophy.
- Centella is useful in promoting nail and hair growth.
- Several problems like gastric ulcers, hemorrhoids, varicose veins, phlebitis can be relieved with centella.
- Because of its skin thickening capacity, it shows anti-aging properties.
- Liver and kidney problems can also be relieved effectively with the help of centella.
- For body detoxification, centella works efficiently in eliminating toxins accumulated in nerves and brain.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS WHILE USING CENTELLA ASIATICA
Consumption of centella in the prescribed dosage does not give any side effects. But pregnant and lactating women should not consume centella related products. If centella is consumed in overdoses, it may lead to nausea. Consulting a registered medical practitioner is always better before consuming any of the herbs.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE CENTELLA
Planet Ayurveda recognizes the relieving properties of this herb and is using it in the following product:-
We at Planet Ayurveda use all natural and vegetarian ingredients for the manufacture of herbal products and Ayurvedic medicines. We follow strict safety regulation and maintain high standards in the preparation of all our products. We never allow our products to be tested on animals. For a healthy and disease free life use Planet Ayurveda products.