Asparagus Racemosus is commonly known as sparrow grass and Wild Asparagus. In Hindi, its common name is Shatavari and the Sanskrit name is – Abhiru. ‘Shatavari’ means – ‘she who possesses a hundred husbands ‘referring to the positive effect of the herb on the female reproductive organs.
It is native to India and grows wildly throughout the subtropical and tropical parts of India, which includes Andamans. It is also seen in Africa and Asian countries.
CHARACTERISTICS OF ASPARAGUS RACEMOSUS
This plant is a climber which grows to 2m in height. It has several branches and the leaves of the plant turn into needle like soft spines. The stem is woody, pale grey or brown in colour and has strong spines. It produces rootstocks which are tuberous, bearing succulent tuberous roots of 30-100 cm long and around 2cm thick. The flowers are small, white in colour, profuse and fragrant.
PARTS USED AS MEDICINE
Leaves and Root of the plant are used as medicine.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF ASPARAGUS RACEMOSUS
- Shatavari or Asparagus Racemosus helps in relieving infertility
- It corrects the irregularities in ovulation
- This herb is useful in reducing PMS symptoms like cramps, pain, bloating and excessive bleeding.
- It is helpful in relieving post menopausal and menopausal symptoms.
- Shatavari helps to improve milk secretion in nursing women.
- Gynecological problems like Dysmenorrhea, Amenorrhea, Leucorrhea and pelvic inflammatory disorders can be relieved with this herb.
- It is helpful in increasing libido.
The plant contains steroidal glycosides, sahatavarins, diosgenin, asparagamine, quercetin, hyperoside.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
Shatavari has several relieving properties which are used to relieve various ailments. The herb is widely used in Ayurveda as a rasayana. Rasayanas are the plant medicines which improve the general well being of a person by enhancing the body resistance capabilities.
The main use of the herb has been to increase lactation in nursing women. The other potential use of this herb is its positive impact on the female reproductive system. The root of Shatavari is useful in relieving disorders like dyspepsia, diarrhea, tumours, inflammations, cough, hyperacidity and other infectious diseases.
- Lactation and female diseases: Shatavari is known for its efficiency in relieving female reproductive disorders and improving secretion of milk in nursing women. It is a rejuvenating herb which is used to balance hormonal system, regulate menstruation, decrease morning sickness, and improve lactation, menopausal symptoms, leucorrhoea, general sexual weakness and inflammation of sexual organs.
- Female fertility: Shatavari works effectively in improving fertility in women. It nourishes and tones the femal reproductive organs and normalizes ovulation. PMS conditions like loss of blood and pain are also tackled efficiently by this herb.
- Menopausal symptoms: Shatavari offers relief in menopausal symptoms like hot flushes. It influences the production of estrogen especially in women who are in their menopausal stage or underwent hysterectomies.
- Male reproductive system: Not only women, but male reproductive system is also benefited from the use of Shatavari. It can be used to improve sexual debility, spermatorrhoea, impotence and inflammation of sexual organs.
- Candida: Shatavari increases the white blood cells and stimulates macrophages to fight against candida disorder.
- Gastro intestinal problems: Shatavari is useful in relieving ulcerative disorders related to stomach and Parinama sula, a disorder similar to the duodenal ulcer. The juice of the fresh root gives relief and relieves duodenal ulcers.
- Other uses: Shatavari has anti-inflammatory properties and is used to relieve infections like dysentery and cystitis. It is also useful to relieve bladder infections and as an antacid. It has cooling effect and relieves chronic fevers, inflamed membranes of lungs, rheumatism, kidney, stomach and sexual organs. It is beneficial as a nervine tonic.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS WHILE USING ASPARAGUS RACEMOSUS
There are no known side effects with the usage of this herb. It can be used during pregnancy and lactation. But it is always safe to consume only the recommended dosages for better results.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
We at Planet Ayurveda give the best advice in matters related to Ayurvedic medicines, herbal supplements and powders. All our products are vegetarian, made with 100 percent natural ingredients and are free from preservatives and chemicals. Best quality herbs are used to manufacture the products.
We proudly proclaim that our products are not tested on animals. If you are looking for a pure herbal product which provides innumerable benefits, feel safe in using Planet Ayurveda products and enjoy the positive effects.