Asthma is the condition in which airways become narrow and swell. In this disease there is a production of extra mucus. This is a long-term inflammatory disease of the lungs. This disease causes the airways to get inflamed and narrow which further makes it hard to breath. This is a serious disease which can affect your daily life. There are three major signs of asthma that are airway blockage, inflammation and airway irritability. There is no permanent cure of asthma in Allopathic science. But Ayurveda has better results in treating Asthma disease. In this article we are going to discuss one of the effective herbal remedies for Asthma in detail.
Shwash kuthar ras is a herbo-mineral composition. This classical Ayurvedic remedy is helpful in treating Asthma. This formulation contains Parada and gandhak as a main ingredient which is used to increase the strength of the other ingredients. This formulation is used either orally or through the nasal route (But under the supervision of an expert doctor). Rasaoushdhi’s are mainly used in chronic conditions. This medicine is used in dyspnea, indigestion, COPD, epilepsy etc.
- Maricha Churna (Powder of Piper nigrum) – 2 part
- Shuddha Parada (Purified Mercury) – 1 part
- Shuddha Sulphur (Purified Sulphur) – 1 part
- Shuddha Vatsanabha (Purified Aconitum ferox) – 1 part
- Shuddha Tankan (Purified Citrus tankan) – 1 part
- Shuddha Manahshila (Purified Realgar) – 1 part
- Shunthi Churna (Powder of Zingiber officinale) – 1 part
- Pippali Churna (Powder of Piper longum) – 1 part
Description of The Ingredients
- Maricha Churna : It helps in treating digestive and respiratory problems such as Indigestion, abdominal pain, acidity, cough, sore throat etc. This is an effective herb for digestive and respiratory ailments.
- Shuddha Parada : This metal is used in a variety of health problems. This impure metal is firstly purified and then used in the medicines. It has Rasayan (Rejuvenating) properties and helps in balancing all three doshas. It is used in the treatment of digestive and respiratory problems.
- Shuddha Gandhak : This is a yellowish coloured Substance found in nature. It has many medicinal properties such as diuretic, antifungal, antiparasitic, digestive, expectorant etc. So it is used in the treatment of skin problems, indigestion, and cough.
- Shuddha Vatsanabha : This is used as anesthetic, antiarthritic, obstruent (Shroto-vishodhana), diaphoretic, antipyretic etc. It balances all three dosha. It improves digestion, relieves cough and provides strength to the body. It is also helpful in coughing with expectoration.
- Shuddha Tankan : This is also known as borax. It is an Ayurvedic Calcined formulation prepared from borax powder. It is used for productive coughing, breathing problems, wheezing, abdominal pain, bad breath etc.
- Shuddha Manahshila : This is known as realgar which is a sulphide of Arsenic. It is used in the treatment of Hiccough, dyspnea, cough, bronchitis etc. It is also used in cancer, loss of appetite, fever, and insomnia.
- Shunthi Churna : It is an effective appetizer and carminative. It is used to improve the metabolism of the body. This rhizome provides benefits in all digestive disorders such as indigestion, loss of appetite, anorexia, flatulence etc.
- Pippali Churna : This herb holds many medicinal properties. Its properties are antibacterial, diuretic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, carminative, expectorant, antispasmodic etc. This ingredient provides relief from coughing and congestion.
Method of Preparation
- In a kharal yantra, make a kajjali from parada and kajjali
- Mix all the rest of the ingredients and triturates for about 2 hours
- Make a fine powder or either you can make 250 mg tablets of this formulation
- Keep this formulation in a glass container
Shwash Kuthar ras is a classical Ayurvedic formulation. This tablet has a great role in asthma symptoms. The ingredients have expectorant properties and are helpful in expelling the sputum out from the lungs. These tablets are beneficial in cold, asthma, bronchitis, anorexia, indigestion, pyrexia, headache etc. In cough and breathlessness it should be given with the extracts of Adrak (Zingiber officinale) or Powder of Pippali (Piper longum) and honey. In case of headache, give this formulation with Pan ras (Extracts of Betel) and honey or cow’s milk.
Dosha Karma (Effects On Dosha)
- It balances Vata and Kapha dosha
- 125-250 mg twice a day with extracts of Adrak (Zingiber officinale) or Powder of Pippali (Piper longum)
Classical Indication (Rogadhikar)
- Tamak Shwash (Bronchial Asthma)
- It is contraindicated in Cardiac disorders
- It should be taken under medical supervision
- Avoid in pregnancy and lactating mothers
- Overdose may cause severe poisonous effect
At last we can say that this is a pure Ayurvedic medicine and should be strictly consumed only after the advice of an Ayurvedic physician. As this medicine contains heavy metals, it should be consumed in limited doses otherwise it can cause side effects.