Pattrangasav is a herbal tonic used in leucorrhea. Leucorrhea is a thick, whitish, yellowish or greenish discharge from vagina. Leucorrhea is caused by many reasons but the usual one is estrogen imbalance. Due to an infection, the amount of discharge may increase and it may disappear and reappear from time to time. This disease is usually a non-pathological symptom secondary to inflammatory conditions of the cervix or vagina. But through Ayurveda, we can easily manage this condition. In this article, we will discuss one herbal formulation named Pattrangasav in detail.
Pattrangasav is a herbo-mineral formulation. It is used in the treatment of gynecological conditions like heavy menstrual bleeding, leucorrhea, dysmenorrhea, etc. This herbal product is made from the combination of various herbs that have properties that maintain hormonal irregularities. It contains about 5-10% self generated natural alcohol that are active herbal components to the body.
- Sharkara (Brown sugar) – 100 Part
- Madhu (Honey) – 50 Part
- Draksha (Vitis vinifera) – 20 Part
- Dhataki flowers (Flowers of Woodfordia fruticosa) – 16 Part
- Patranga (Caesalpinia sappan) – 1 Part
- Khadir kashtha (Bark of Acacia catechu) – 1 Part
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica) – 1 Part
- Semel Phool (Bombax ceiba) – 1 Part
- Bala (Sida cordifolia) – 1 Part
- Shuddha Bhilava (Purified Semecarpus anacardium) – 1 Part
- Anantamul (Hemidesmus indicus) – 1 Part
- Japapushpa (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) – 1 Part
- Amra beej (Seeds of Mangifera indica) – 1 Part
- Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata) – 1 Part
- Chirayata (Swertia chirayita) – 1 Part
- Afeema (Papaver somniferum) – 1 Part
- Jeera (Cuminum syzygium) – 1 Part
- Loha bhasma (Iron calx) – 1 Part
- Rasaut (Extractum Berberidis) – 1 Part
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos) – 1 Part
- Bhringraj (Eclipta alba) – 1 Part
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) – 1 Part
- Nagkesar (Mesua ferrea) – 1 Part
- Launga (Syzygium aromaticum) – 1 Part
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali
Description Of The Ingredients
- Sharkara – This is a sweetener made from sugarcane. This can be used with daily diet and is useful in conditions like leucorrhea, indigestion, weakness, flatulence, etc.
- Madhu – It has antibacterial and antifungal properties, hence useful in treating infections. It also has healing properties and is helpful in wound healing.
- Draksha – It improves appetite and taste. It is helpful in treating bleeding disorders. It also relieves stress, anxiety and calms the mind. This also provides relief from leucorrhea.
- Dhataki Flowers – This herb is a main fermented herb in the preparation of Arishta. This herb pacifies Pitta dosha and is helpful in alleviating fever and it is also beneficial in treating diarrhea, piles, dysentery, etc.
- Patranga – This is useful in diarrhea, wound healing. It is also called Ku-chandana. It provides calmness and a cooling effect in the body. This ingredient is beneficial in the treatment of ulcers, wounds, burning micturition, sin disorders, bleeding disorders, etc.
- Khadir Kashtha – It is an effective herb in treating skin disorders as it has blood purifying properties. It is also beneficial in diarrhea and reduces the symptoms of other digestive disorders due to its astringent and cold properties.
- Vasa – Vasa is used in treating cough, cold, asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory problems. It is also helpful in treating fever, jaundice, diarrhea, dysentery, irregular menstrual cycle, etc.
- Shalmali – This herb has antioxidant, antimicrobial, anticarcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, hypotensive, hypolipidemic, antihyperglycemic, and analgesic properties.
- Bala – This herb controls the symptoms of respiratory problems like cough and cold. It has antioxidant and hepatoprotective properties and protects the liver cells against cell damage which is caused by free radicals.
- Shuddha Bhilava – It is used in reducing pain, swelling, tenderness and stiffness. This is a powerful and fast acting Ayurvedic herb. It is used extensively in skin problems, loss of appetite, indigestion, constipation, abdominal distension, etc.
- Anantamul – This herb is used in the treatment of digestive, genito-urinary and skin disorders. Thus helpful in conditions like pain in stomach, dyspepsia, indigestion, loss of appetite, leucorrhea, etc.
- Japapushap – This is an Ayurvedic herb, used in the treatment of bleeding piles, emaciation, dysmenorrhea, leucorrhea, alopecia, etc. It also improves the strength of the cardiac muscles.
- Amra Beej – This ingredient is used in the treatment of diarrhea, leucorrhea, obesity, cholesterol, acne, etc. It improves blood circulation and is helpful in managing heart problems. It also regulates the proper menstrual cycle.
- Daruhaldi – This herb has been used as a Ayurvedic medicine for a long time. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is helpful in alleviating the swelling in the body. This herb has Ropan (healing) properties also. This mainly prevents us from various infections.
- Chirayata – It is used in fever, constipation, indigestion, loss of appetite, intestinal worms, skin diseases, and menstrual problems. It has also been used for malaria.
- Afeema – It has been traditionally used to relax smooth muscle tone. This ingredient is also helpful in diarrhea and abdominal cramping. The extract of this herb is used as sedative, analgesic and antitussive properties.
- Jeera – This ingredient is very useful in digestive disorders. It has digestive properties and hence is helpful in stimulating digestion. It is helpful in abdominal pain, fever, diarrhea, diabetes, indigestion, etc.
- Loha Bhasma – This mineral formulation is useful in iron deficiency anemia. It also helps in weakness and provides strength. It provides relief from leucorrhea symptoms also. It has a nice role in digestive disorders.
- Rasaut – It is a yellowish semi solid extract obtained by processing the decoction of daruhaldi. It is useful in eye disorders, swelling, skin problems, piles, asthma, hepatomegaly, jaundice, etc.
- Bilva – It is used in diarrhea and cholera as it has antibacterial and antiparasitic properties. It is also helpful in diabetes, skin problems, cough, cold, mucus, etc.
- Bhringraj – It has hepatoprotective properties hence useful in liver disorders such as liver fibrosis, cirrhosis, hepatomegaly, etc. It is also very helpful for hair growth.
- Dalchini: It is an aromatic spice obtained from the bark of cinnamon genus. It is used as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and cardio protective properties.
- Nagkesar – This herb helps in managing conditions like indigestion, bleeding piles, asthma and joint pain. It Possesses Ushna (hot), Deepan (appetizer), Pachan (digestion) and Vata, Pitta, Kapha balancing properties. It promotes good digestion and enhances appetite.
- Launga – It is high in antioxidants, antibacterial, hepatoprotective, antacid and analgesic properties. This ingredient is helpful in treating stomach ulcers, stomach pain, liver disorders, stomach infections, etc.
Method Of Preparation
- Keep overnight a water filled clay pot.
- Drain the water next morning and fill it with water again.
- Add sharkara and honey in this water and mixes it properly.
- Make a fine powder of all the ingredients (patranga to launga) and add in the water.
- After that take kesar and powdered it well and add in water.
- Then seal the container and keep it aside in the fermentation room for 25 days.
- If the fermentation process is done properly then filter the mixture and again keep aside for 8-10 days.
- After 10 days again filter the liquid and poured in airtight glass container.
- Use this arishta formulation after 1 year for better results.
Pattrangasav is a classical formulation used in the treatment of leucorrhea. It is also helpful in heavy menstrual bleeding, menstrual cramps, indigestion, fever etc. This also aids in managing conditions like anemia, low digestion power, anorexia, inflammation, loss of appetite, etc. It also improves body strength, endurance and stamina. This herbal formulation has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antihemorrhagic,uterine tonic, detoxifying, appetizer, digestive properties. These properties make this formulation best for female health.
- It pacifies kapha dosha
Classical Indications (Rogadhikar)
- Pradar (Leucorrhea)
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Loss of appetite
- Menstrual cramps
3 teaspoon twice a day with an equal amount of water.
- Take this formulation under the medical supervision.
- Overdose will lead to stomach pain, irregular periods or prolonged periods.
- It should not be used in irregular prolonged cycle.
This condition is becoming common nowadays and also this condition has a recurrence rate. So at last I would like to say one thing that herbal medicines have very good results on this disease. The recurrence rate is decreasing with the use of classical herbal formulations. Pattrangasav shows very good results on leucorrhea and other gynecological problems.