Bhaishajya Ratnavali 867/69-70
Mahamanjishthadi kwath is an Ayurvedic formulation. This is an effective Ayurvedic medicine for skin disorders. This Ayurvedic medicine is in liquid form. In today’s time there is an increase in the rate of skin problems due to polluted environments and bad dietary habits. The decoction (Kwath) is prepared from the various potential herbs. This herbal formulation is also helpful in gout. Kwath is derived from the word kwatham which means the process of boiling. This kwath removes the impurities from the body. Now let’s just talk about the herbs which are processed together to make this kwath formulation.
- Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysenterica)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Triphala (Three myrobalans)
- Vidang (Embelia ribes)
- Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica)
- Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus)
- Guggul (Commiphora mukul)
- Kuth (Saussurea lappa)
- Bharangi (Clerodendrum serratum)
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Nimba twak (Azadirachta indica)
- Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata)
- Patola (Trichosanthes dioica)
- Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa)
- Murva (Marsdenia tenacissima)
- Vijaysar (Pterocarpus marsupium)
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Indrayan mool (Citrullus colocynthis)
- Traymana (Gentiana kurroo)
- Gorakhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus)
- Bhangra (Eclipta prostrata)
- Devdaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
- Khadir (Acacia catechu)
- Rakta chandan (Pterocarpus santalinus)
- Nishoth (Operculina turpenthum)
- Varun (Crataeva nurvala)
- Chirata (Swertia chirayita)
- Bavachi (Psoralea corylifolia)
- Amaltas (Cassia fistula)
- Shakhotak (Sterblus asper)
- Bakayan (Melia azadirachta)
- Karanj (Pongamia pinnata)
- Atis (Aconitum heterophyllum)
- Dhamasa (Fagonia arabica)
- Pitta Papada (Fumaria indica)
Description of The Ingredients
- Manjistha : The stem and root of this plant is well known for its blood purifying property. It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It is used in a variety of skin problems.
- Musta : It is commonly called nut grass. It has the ability to relieve burning sensation with skin lesions. It is also useful in diarrhea, jaundice and diabetes.
- Giloy : This miracle plant has many health benefits. It helps to normalize the skin conditions by improving the immune system. It improves digestion, reduces stress and also acts as a Rasayan.
- Kutaja : The bark of Kutaj is a wonderful remedy for diarrhea, dysentery and worm infections. It is also useful in skin diseases.
- Shunthi : This has a hot potency. It is wonderful as an appetizer. It has anti-inflammatory, antiemetic, and antibacterial properties. It improves the metabolism of the body. This ingredient also helps in skin problems by improving digestion.
- Haridra : This is a rich source of curcumin, it has been used traditionally in all infectious conditions and skin disorders because it has blood purifying properties.
- Triphala : It is the combination of three wonderful herbs such as Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica) and Amalaki (Embelica officinalis) that acts as a rejuvenator. It is used in many health problems like skin diseases, inflammation, constipation etc. It acts as a rasayan (rejuvenator).
- Vidanga : It is one of the best antimicrobial herbs. It helps in treatment of worm infestation in the body. It improves digestive power also. It has a potency to normalise the aggravated Pitta dosha.
- Chitrak : It helps in managing various skin diseases such as acne, sore, dermatitis due to its antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. It also helps in the formation of new skin cells.
- Brahmi : This helps to support and promote all cognitive abilities. It improves the skin’s melanin pigment. It enhances the skin’s complexion. It is well known for its use in skin problems like eczema.
- Vasa : The ideal drug used in all respiratory diseases. It has antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Vasa plays a crucial role in treating skin infections like acne, boils, blisters, itching etc.
- Sariva : This is known for its refreshing coolant action, blood purifying effect. It also has pitta pacifying properties. It was traditionally known for its curative properties in skin burns.
- Guggulu : This gum resin is an important anti-inflammatory action. It subsides the skin inflammation. It has been shown to improve itching, redness or discoloration in skin.
- Kushta : It is a wonderful herb with Lekhana property. It is useful in skin diseases. This herb is also beneficial in asthma, fever and in the treatment of epilepsy. It helps in improving digestion by preventing the growth of bacteria due to its antibacterial properties.
- Bharangi : It helps to optimize the normal flow of Vata. It is useful in fever, burning sensation, gout and rhinitis. It is also helpful in chronic respiratory problems.
- Kantakari : This is the ideal drug used for all respiratory ailments, especially chronic bronchial asthma. It improves strength and treats skin disease also.
- Vacha : It has a digestive property. It gives a glowing skin and controls various bacterial and fungal skin infections. This herb has good ropan (healing) properties.
- Nimba twak : This herb has a wonderful effect on skin. It purifies the blood and enhances the skin complexion. It balances pitta dosha and manages all worm infestation in the body.
- Daruhaldi : It is often called tree turmeric. It is used to alleviate most eye problems. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties so useful in skin problems.
- Patola : The herb helps in purification of blood and pacifying Pitta dosha. It is aphrodisiac with cardiac tonic properties. It is also used in diabetes and hypertension.
- Katuki : It is used in detoxification of the body. It is best used in liver and skin problems. It is enriched with several antioxidant properties that soothes the skin. It acts fast on infections and rashes.
- Moorva : Traditionally it is used to treat the diseases caused by impure blood. It has antioxidant and laxative properties. It treats the skin disease by eliminating the toxins from the body.
- Vijaysar : The tree is known for its ability to manage skin disorders. It is also beneficial in diarrhea. It is extensively used as anti-glycemic means useful in diabetes.
- Shatavari : This is a common aphrodisiac used to restore male and female infertility with its regenerative properties. It is also used as a diuretic.
- Pippali : The black pepper is the ideal herb used for asthma, anemia, arthritis, indigestion, and sore throat. It is also helpful in treating skin problems.
- Indrayan Mool : The plant is used in constipation. It is also used in skin diseases, jaundice, COPD, UTI. This herb is beneficial in treating pimples, acne and boils.
- Traymana : It has a laxative property and is used in pacifying pitta dosha. It is used in the treatment of fever, skin problems, hemorrhoids, liver disorders etc. It is considered as a blood purifier and carminative.
- Gorakhmundi : It acts as a good blood purifier to remove toxins from the body. It reduces increased uric acid and also fights against many skin ailments.
- Bhangra : It is used traditionally for the treatment of tumors, skin ailments etc. It has antitumoral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antiviral properties.
- Devdaru : It is beneficial in managing certain skin problems such as inflammation, wrinkles, acne etc. It is also useful in neurological disorders, asthma, fever, arthritis etc.
- Patha : This ingredient helps in the formation of collagen and regeneration of skin cells. It helps in quick healing of wounds, decreases swelling and brings back the normal texture to the skin.
- Khadir : It is very effective against skin disorders. Khadir has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi that cause skin problems.
- Rakta Chandan : Red sandalwood is one of the finest ingredients for your skin. It is mainly used for skin care and beauty purposes. This ingredient is very effective in reducing blemishes and treating acne.
- Nishoth : It helps in improving digestion by enhancing appetite and promotes bowel movement. It also manages skin problems such as dryness or damaged skin.
- Varun : It helps in reducing aggravated vata dosha, which results in dry skin, wrinkles and other symptoms of premature ageing. It also acts as a good diuretic and helpful in management of urinary disorders.
- Chirata : It is helpful in managing skin diseases such as eczema and pimples due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also used for fever, constipation, loss of appetite and also used for malaria.
- Bavachi : It has great medicinal value. It helps in brightening up the skin and plumps the skin by boosting the collagen.
- Amaltas : It is useful in skin problems by its laxative properties as it pacifies pitta dosha. It reduces itchiness and irritation in various skin problems due to its healing properties.
- Shakhotak : It is useful in epistaxis, haemorrhoids. It is also beneficial in skin problems as it has antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Bakayan : It has antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties. though it is helpful in skin problems, fever etc.
- Karanj : It is useful in skin problems such as boils, abscess and eczema, itching etc. It also relieves pain and inflammation caused due to open wounds and burns.
- Atis : It contains antioxidants like vitamin C, which helps to fight free radicals in our body. It also contains Vitamin B which helps to keep skin, hair and nails healthy.
- Netrabala : It helps to control the symptoms of respiratory system problems such as cough and cold. It balances the Kapha and expels the mucus from the body. It also helps in skin problems.
- Dhamasa : It is mainly used for fever. It is also used for skin diseases, small pox etc. It decomposes the blood clots.
- Pitta Papada : It helps to manage diseases like dyspepsia and skin infection. It is also helpful in abdominal cramps, diarrhea, fever, leprosy and syphilis.
Method of Preparation
- Take all the above mentioned ingredients and make a powder of it
- Put this powder into 16 times water and make a decoction
- When the water remains ¼ in a container then filter it
- Put this provided decoction into glass container
Mahamanjishthadi kwath is a purely herbal formulation. The ingredients in this formulation are very effective against skin problems. This formulation acts as a wonderful blood purifier and treats many blood related diseases. It improves the skin and hair and fights against inflammation. It also helps the patient who is suffering from arthritis, gout, allergic dermatitis and infected wounds. This formulation improves the skin texture.
Dosha Karma (Effects on Dosha)
- It pacifies Pitta and vata dosha
- 3 teaspoon twice a day with an equal amount of water
Classical Indication (Rogadhikar)
- Kushtha roga (Skin disorders)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- It should be taken under the medical advice
- Avoid in pregnancy and lactating women
We concluded that Ayurvedic medicines have many wonderful effects on diseases. Skin diseases are the main concern in today’s time because of the polluted environment and also due to bad dietary lifestyle. In modern medicine there are many medicines for skin diseases but left with some side effects. So it’s better to take this wonderful herbal remedy without any side effects.
Note :- This is pure classical Ayurvedic medicine and should be strictly consumed only after prescription of an Ayurvedic doctor and to be taken under medical supervision only.
There are no reviews yet.