There are 100s of diseases which are occuring due to dysfunctioning of the liver and in ayurveda many herbs are known to treat liver disorders and one of them is the kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata) which is so good for treating every kind of the liver diseases and as it is known as the king of bitters due to its most bitter taste and bitter herbs are very best for treating hepatic diseases, GIT diseases etc. with this herb this formulation has many other ingredients so this formulation is used in many disorders. It is an ayurvedic classical medication which is made from the combination of herbs and also there is added loh (Iron) in it which makes it a loh preparation.
Ingredients Used in Kalmegh Navayas Loha
Following ingredients are used for the preparation of the kalmegh navayas loha
|Loh bhasma (Iron calx)
Description Of The Ingredients
All the ingredients have many medicinal properties which we are mentioned below
- Sonth (Zingiber officinale): Dried form of the ginger is known as the Sonth which has pungent taste and is heavy to digest with dry and strong in nature. It undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion and has hot potency. Sonth is helpful in balancing the kapha dosha in the body. It acts as a cardiac tonic and improves digestive strength. It improves the taste so it will help in relieving anorexia. As it balances the kapha dosha so it is used in cough and asthma like conditions, due to the kapha balancing properties and pitta increasing qualities it will help in treating the digestion related disorders and will do deepan pachan of the ingested food.
- Pippali (Piper longum): It is known as the long pepper and churna of the pippali is used for making this formulation. Dried form of the pippali is used for making this formulation which has pungent taste and hot potency. It undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion means it has madhur vipaka and balances kapha and vata doshas. It increases the digestive strength and metabolism of the body so can be used in indigestion and relieves ama dosha.
- Maricha (Piper nigrum): It is a spice which has many benefits which is found in our kitchen. It is pungent in taste and is light to digest with strong and piercing nature and enters the deep and minute body channels of the body. Maricha helps in balancing the kapha and vata dosha in the body. It is neither very hot nor cold and it improves the taste so it is used in anorexia. It has a scraping effect on the intestines due to which it induces the cleaning effect of the intestines. It helps in digesting the ama dosha from the body and cleans the body channels.
- Amla (Emblica officinalis): Dried amla fruits are used in the making of this medication and it is the best medication and best rasayan which has been mentioned in ayurveda. Though it is sour in taste, it does not increase the pitta dosha and helps in balancing the pitta dosha with all the other doshas. It is heavy to digest and is coolant in nature. It has 5 types of tastes except salty and the dominant taste is sour. It is the best anti-aging herb, improves vision, relieves burning sensation due to the cold potency and will improve the overall health of the person as it provides nourishment to the dhatus of the body.
- Harad (Terminalia chebula): In ayurveda it has been kept in the groups like triphala (Group of 3 fruits), kushta ghana (Herbs treating skin diseases), kas ghana (Herbs treating cough), arsho ghana (Herbs which treats piles). It has 5 tastes which are sweet, astringent, sour, pungent and bitter and it is predominant in astringent taste. It has sweet vipaka which means it has sweet taste conversion after digestion and the veerya of haritaki is ushna. It helps in balancing all the three doshas from the body. It digests the ama from the body and improves digestion. It is very useful in weakness and emaciation. It can be taken according to the seasons in different ways which is known as ritu haritaki.
- Baheda (Terminalia belerica): It has been kept in groups like jwarahara (Herbs which acts as antipyretic agent), virechnopag (Induces virechana). Baheda is light to digest and dry in nature. Taste of baheda is astringent. It helps in balancing all the three doshas in the body, but is more useful in the diseases which are caused by the kapha dosha. It can be used in indigestion, flatulence, excessive thirst and its dried fruits are used in conditions like diarrhea and dysentery.
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus): Musta is absorbent, digestive and carminative in nature, helps in absorption and can be used for jwaratisara means it relieves fever with burning sensation and gastritis. Musta has bitter, pungent and astringent in taste, It is light to digest and drying in nature, musta undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion. This herb helps in balancing the kapha and pitta dosha of the body.
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes): It is the most powerful anti- parasitic agent which is widely used in the intestinal worm infestations. Medicinal properties of the vidanga are pungent and astringent in taste and are strong and piercing in nature. Potency of the vidanga is hot. As it has hot potency it will help in balancing the vata and kapha dosha. Fruit of this herb is used for making this formulation and can be used in improving the appetite, abdominal pain, indigestion or the weak digestion.
- Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica): Bark of the roots of the chitrak are used in making this formulation which has been classically classified in subgroups which are deepniya, shoolaprashmana, arsho ghana, lekhniya etc. Chitraka has pungent taste, light to digest, dry and piercing in nature. It also helps in balancing vata and kapha dosha from the body. It helps in pachan so improves digestive strength and can be used in malabsorption syndrome. It is used in the treatment of hepatomegaly and splenomegaly.
- Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata): Juice of the whole plant is used for the making of this formulation. As told above it is known as the king of the biters so its taste is bitter and kalmegh is light to digest, drying in nature. It has pungent vipaka meaning it undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion and the potency of kalmegh is hot. It helps in pacifying the kapha and pitta dosha from the body. Kalmegh acts as a liver stimulant and helps in purifying the blood due to the bitter taste. It will help in digestion and improve the appetite of a person.
- Loh bhasma (Iron calx): Purified iron is used in making this formulation and loh bhasma has medicinal properties like it helps in increasing the hemoglobin levels in the body, lowers the bilirubin, burns excess fat from the body, digestive stimulant, also a best digestive stimulant. It can be indicated in iron deficiency anemia, general debility, liver enlargement, spleen enlargement, hiatus hernia, weakness due to bleeding disorders etc.
Method Of Preparation
It is made by using the following method of preparation;
- Powder of herbs sonth, maricha, pippali, amla, harad, baheda, nagarmotha vidang, chitrakmool are taken in the quantity of 1 tola, loh bhasma also in the quantity of 1 tola and also churna of kalmegh in the quantity of 1 tola.
- 7 bhavanas of the kalmegh juice is given to the mixture of churna in the kharal (Mortar and pestle) and dried out.
- After that it is grinded and stored in a jar.
It has medicinal properties as following which are mentioned below:
- Blood purifier
- Anti Inflammatory
- Deepan (Appetizer)
- Pachan (Digestive stimulant)
- Krimighna (Antihelminthic)
- Kandu Ghana (Antipruriginous)
- Lekhaniya (Scrapping effect)
Dosha Karma (Effects on dosha)
It helps in balancing pitta dosha but also have effects on balancing kapha and vata dosha
1-2 tablets once or twice daily or as directed by physician.
- Package type: Tablets.
- Package quantity: 120 tablets in each bottle.
Classically it can be indicated in the following disorders:
- Jirna jwara (Chronic fever)
- Vishma jwara (Fever which is on and off)
- Pandu (Anemia)
- Yakrit vriddhi (Hepatomegaly)
As it contains kalmegh so it is a very good hepatoprotective agent and treats the ama dosha (Undigested toxins) from the body due to the bitter taste of the kalmegh it helps in increasing the digestion. Due to piper nigrum in it, it helps in clearing out the channels of the body so it acts as a catalyst for the other medications or herbs in it. It can also be indicated in conditions like anemia mainly iron deficiency or folic acid deficiency anemia as it has hepatoprotective action and has iron in it so will treat both types of anemia. It will also treat jaundice due to its liver stimulating effect. Conditions like indigestion, anorexia, low digestive fire can be treated by this. In ayurveda it has been said that fever is due to the accumulation of toxins in the body, so this medication will help in digesting those toxins as it increases the production of the bile and digests all the toxins. Due to the increased agni (Digestive fire) it helps in better absorption and metabolism of the body and all the vitamins and minerals are easily absorbed which helps in treating the weakness and fatigue of the body.
It should be taken under the guidance of an expert ayurvedic doctor.
- It should be avoided in pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Overdose can cause gastritis.
This formulation is a loh preparation means it contains iron calx in it and it has many benefits so can be taken by anyone. Planet ayurveda also provides the kalmegh navayas loh and it has been prepared in authentic ways. But it should only be consumed after consulting an ayurvedic doctor.