Ayurveda Sar Sangreh- Ras Rasayan Prakaran/118
Gaudanti bhasma is an Ayurvedic formulation. It is a mineral based ayurvedic medicine prepared from gypsum (Gaudanti). Gaudanti is rich in natural calcium and sulphur content. It is used in the treatment of headache, chronic fever, leucorrhea etc. mineral shows a great result in treating chronic diseases. Ayurvedic bhasma is a metallic mineral preparation which is prepared by homogenizing with herbal juices or decoction then modified with heat treatment to apparently detoxify the heavy metals. The meaning of bhasma is an ash which is obtained through incineration. Bhasma promotes cardiac functioning, controls diabetes, treats indigestion, reduces inflammation etc. Gaudanti bhasma is mainly used in fevers.
- Gaudanti (Gypsum)
Description of The Ingredients
Gaudanti: It is also known as hartal. Hartal is of two types one is patrahartal and second one is pindhartal. Patrahartal is somewhat like gold in colour, heavy, unctuous, has small leaves like appearance and is shining in nature. Pindhartal is like a round mass and is heavy in weight. In comparison, patrahartal is more potent than pindhartal. This gaudanti (hartal) is used in cancer, blood disorders, worm infestation, Disturbed uterine bleeding. It has unctuous, hot, bitter and appetizer properties. It is found in white colour and appears like the teeth of a cow.
Purification of Gaudanti
- Good kind of Gaudanti is taken
- It should be tied in a cloth and bundle is made
- Now it is swinged in a dola yantra and subjected to sweden (sudation) with kushmanda swaras (extracts of Cucurbita pepo) and choona (quicklime) for a period of one and half an hour
Method of Preparation
- Dig 2.5 feet pit in the ground and cover ¼ part of the pit with wooden sticks and spread the pieces of gaudanti over these sticks and gain cover this with wooden sticks
- Now heat the gaudanti bhasma under the low flames
- When it gets cool then keep wooden ash aside and collect the obtained gaudanti bhasma
- Then just triturate this gaudanti bhasma with chandanadi ark with eight times of water and make muffins out of it
- Dry these muffins and burn it in laghuput by closing it in sharavsamput
- The obtained bhasma is very fine and white in colour
Gaudanti Bhasma is a classical Ayurvedic formulation. This is a mineral based formulation that is used in the treatment of various health problems like fever, DUB, cough and cold, malaria, headache etc. It is beneficial in migraine and trigeminal neuralgia. It is also useful in leucorrhea and reduces white discharge. This bhasma is also very beneficial in cancer patients. This has digestive properties so helpful in treating gastric problems. It acts as a calcium supplement and helps in the calcium deficiency problem.
Dosha Karm (Effects on Dosha)
- It balances all three dosha but mainly works on Pitta dosha
- 125 mg once a day with Lukewarm water
Classical indication (Rogadhikar)
- Jwara (Fever)
- Dry cough
- Malaria : In malaria, mix 125 mg gaudanti bhasma, 125 mg Sphatika bhasma, 250 mg powder of white jeera (Cuminum cyminum) with tulsi patra swaras (extracts of Ocimum sanctum) and honey.
- Chronic Fever : It should be used with the decoction of Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Breathlessness : Gaudanti bhasma should be used with the decoction of Dashmoola
- Avoid taking without any medical advice
- Overdose may cause severe side effects
- Keep out from the reach of children
- Avoid in pregnancy and infants
Gaudanti bhasma is a wonderful Ayurvedic remedy for Fever and has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda. This formulation helps the patient to lower the high temperature. Apart from the use in fever, it is also very beneficial in Gynecological problems such as leucorrhea and DUB. This is a good alternative to Paracetamol.