Apamarg Kshar is used for local applications as well as for systemic uses. One of the major uses of this drug is treating Kathinottmansadi vrana meaning the hypergranulated wounds. The term kshar here implies the preparation as well as application of the alkali and denotes the procedure and essential in Ayurveda. It not only plays an important role in excision, incision, and scar formation but also regulates the Dosha. It is rich in potash-rich alkaline ashes which are used for treating fistula.
Apamarga (Achyranthes Aspera)
Reference:- Rasa Tarangini
Description Of The Ingredient
The plant of Achyranthes Aspera is rich in proteins, carbohydrates, and other constituents like tannins, flavonoids as well as saponins which help in maintaining overall health. In Ayurveda, Achyranthes is very helpful in improving digestion due to its Panchan (digestive) as well as Deepan (appetizer) properties. They are also very effective in removing the accumulation of excessive fat from the body and helps in weight loss. Due to its anti-inflammatory and astringent properties, it is very effective in healing wounds. Along with that, it is helpful in removing ulcers due to its gastroprotective activity.
Method Of Preparation
- The whole plant of Apamarga is collected and cleaned properly.
- After that, it is dried in the sunlight and they are mainly collected in the month of November.
- Then a big iron pan is heated and completely burned in the open air.
- After burning it’s left to cool down on its own and the ash is then collected.
- It is mixed with water 4 times volume-wise and then filtered with a cloth, poured into the Iron vessel.
- The mixture is then stirred for a few minutes and left without any disturbance for a few hours.
- Above the settled ash a yellow liquid solution is left.
- The ash is settled down making the liquid clear and yellow in color.
- This solution is then carefully decanted into another container.
- The clear yellow liquid might contain some insoluble parts of the ash.
- In order to get the Kshara the solution is then filtered a couple of times and the purified insoluble particles are removed.
- The process of filtration is done almost seven to fourteen times.
- The solution is boiled until a thick liquid is obtained and boiled for few more minutes on a moderate flame.
- As the water is evaporated the crystals are formed and they have adhered to the sides of the container.
- The leftover crystals of Apamarga kshara are scraped out after evaporating all the solution.
- After this, we are left with a thick layer of Kshara which is powered with mortar and packed in a tight container.
Benefits of Apamarg Kshar
- Cough and cold:- Apamarga Kshara being one of the effective as well as strong medicine helps in expelling out excessive Kapha from the body. It helps in reducing cough and its complaints because it is Ushna Virya (hot in potency).
- Indigestion:– It is an excellent herbal medicine consisting of one of the excellent herbal medicines which consist of Panchan (digestive) and Deepan (appetizing) properties. Due to which it is effective in improving the strength of digestion and reducing Ama from the body.
- Renal calculus:- It is packed with Mutual meaning diuretic property and is Tikshna (sharp) in nature. It is very helpful in breaking down kidney stones as well as eliminating the renal calculi.
- Fistula or Piles:- It is packed with Virechak which means that it is purgative in quality. It helps in loosening the stool and increasing the movement of bowels which helps in lowering the risk of developing fistula in ano and piles as well.
- Worms:- It helps in reducing the risk of developing any kind of worm infestation. Apamarga Kshara is filled with Krimighna (anti-worm) property which makes it helpful in any kind of worm-related problem.
Indications of Apamarga Kshara Oil or Paste
- Wound:- Achyranthes aspera leaves juice are used in healing wounds as well as ulcers. It has Ropan (healing) property to treat wounds and making it best for treating wounds and also balances the Vata Dosha.
- Urticaria:- The paste of Achyranthes aspera root is very effective in reducing skin rashes or itching. When it is applied externally it helps in balancing both Kapha as well as Vata Dosha.
- Fistula in ano:- It is also used in surgical procedures and is one of the unique medicines for application.
- Earache:- Apamarga Kshara oil is one of the best herbal medicines for reducing earache and also very effective in balancing the Vata Dosha.
- Insect bites:- If the juice or paste of Achyranthes aspera leaves if applied to the insect bite will help in reducing pain. As it contains the property of Ropan (healing) making it best for any kind of insect bite.
Methods of using Apamarga Kshara
There are different ways to use it:-
Apamarga Churna with Honey or Water
- Take half a teaspoon of Apamarga Churna.
- Mix an equal quantity of water or honey into it.
- It is better to take it after dinner or lunch.
Apamarga Juice with water
- Take one to two teaspoons of Apamarga juice.
- Then add a small quantity of water to it.
- It is better to take it once a day before meals.
Apamarga Kshara Capsules
- Take one to two Apamarga kshara capsule with water
- It is recommended to take it after lunch or dinner.
125 mg twice daily with plain water or as directed by the Physician.
- Apamarga Kshara should always be taken as prescribed by the physician.
- It should be avoided by breastfeeding mothers.
- The long-term use of this herbal medicine can lead to infertility in men.
Apamarg Kshar is one of the very beneficial herbs in treating all kinds of wounds and treating disorders like Calculi, indigestion, etc. Due to its healing property, it is also very effective in Ulcers and other diseases as mentioned above. It should always be taken as prescribed by the physician.