ABOUT KAHARVA PISHTI
Kaharva pishti is a classic Ayurvedic medicine, prepared from amber. This is mainly indicated in bleeding disorders and in menopause related symptoms such as hot flashes and irritability.
In Rasa shastra, Kaharva is included under ratna varga (gem stones). It is also used as jewelry.
Amber stone is not strictly speaking a stone at all, but is a fossilized resin.
Beautiful jewelry made from it resembles gemstones, so it is sold as a gem stone.
It is popular as it has marvelous metaphysical properties for psychic protection.
It is a powerful healer that gives the person who wears it a lovely sense of health and healing.
Amber helps to balance the emotions, clear the mind and release negative energy.
It aids manifestation; eases stress by clearing phobias and fears, and it is a lovely warm stone to wear. It heals the glandular system and stimulates the healing of problems within the DNA, as well as relieving karmic related illness.
Amber connects you to your inner wisdom, via the sacral chakra and enhances clairsentience also known as the psychic gift of clear feeling.
Kaharva (amber) is also called as trinakanta (it is believed to attract the trina). Amber has long been used in folk medicine for its excellent healing properties. Amber is fossilized tree resin. Chemically it is having succinic acid (amber of succinate) and it is yellow in color mainly. This succinate is known as natural analgesic.
As a food additive and dietary supplement, succinic acid is generally recognized as safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Succinic acid is used primarily as an acidity regulator in the food and beverage industry. It is also available as a flavoring agent, contributing a somewhat sour and astringent component to umami taste. As an excipient in pharmaceutical products, it is also used to control acidity or as a counter ion.
Succinate has great actions in the body. These actions can be enhanced by Kaharva pishti. These actions include:-
- Effect on adipose tissues: in adipocytes it inhibits lipolysis.
- Effect on liver and retina: succinate helps in stellate cell activation and fibrogenesis. Thus, succinate is thought to play a role in liver homeostasis. In the retina, succinate accumulates in retinal ganglion cells in response to ischemic conditions. Autocrine succinate signaling promotes retinal neovascularization, triggering the activation of angiogenic factors such as endothelial growth factor.
- Effect on immune cells: Succinate may enhance adaptive immunity by triggering the activity of antigen-presenting cells that, in turn, activate T-cells.
- Effect on kidneys: Succinate serves as a modulator of blood pressure by stimulating renin release in macula densa and juxtaglomerular apparatus cells.
PREPARATION OF KAHARVA PISHTI
Kaharva is ground well with gulab arka (rose water) for 2 to 3 days. This is dried well and powdered finely to form Kaharva pishti.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF KAHARVA PISHTI
Kaharva Pishti has following healing properties:-
- Haemostatic (Anti hemorrhagic) agents
- Anti helmintic or anti-parasitic
- Cardiac tonic
- Provide nourishment to female reproductive organs and help in their normal functioning.
- It is used for symptoms related to menopause such as hot flashes and irritability
- Applied to the skin for arthritis and joint pain.
- Used locally as a powerful antiseptic
- Also used as a vitamin supplement
EFFECT ON TRIDOSHA OF KAHARVA PISHTI
Balances Pitta and Rakta.
THERAPEUTIC INDICATIONS OF KAHARVA PISHTI
Kaharva Pishti is helpful in following health conditions:-
- Worm infestation in the brain
- Cysticercosis (pork tapeworm infestation)
- Headache due to worm infestation in the brain
- Heart Palpitation
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Bleeding piles
- Blood in stools
- Bleeding due to Ulcerative colitis or any inflammatory diseases
- Nasal bleeding
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- Heavy menstruation
- Fatigue and weakness
- Rheumatic pain
- Stomach pain
DOSAGE OF KAHARVA PISHTI
The dosage of Kaharva Pishti is 125 mg to 500 mg twice or thrice a day or as recommended by the physician.
It is traditionally administered along with cold water, honey etc.
Kaharva Pishti is Possibly Safe for most people. There are no side effects observed with it. The heavy dosage of Kaharva (amber) may result in headache. Therefore, the dosage should not exceed from 1500 mg per day. If any patient has headache after taking it, the doctors can use Viola odorata (neelapushpa) as antidote and for treating the headache due to it. Please remember, Kaharva pishti only works in headache that occurs due to worm infestation in the brain. It will not help in headache with any other underlying pathology.
Size Per Unit: 5 gms
COMBINATION OF KAHARVA PISHTI WITH OTHER MEDICINES
- In Bleeding piles: Take Kaharva pishti along with bol parpati and drakshavaleha, it will subside the bleeding piles.
- In Gastro intestinal bleeding: Take Kaharva pishti along with giloy satwa, pravala pishti, naga kesara (mesua ferra). This helps to reduce gastro intestinal bleeding. Also good in bleeding piles. This combination has great hemostatic potency.
- In Fatigue and general weakness: Take Kaharva pishti along with abhraka bhasma, giloy satwa and naga kesara. This will subside fatigue.
CAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS OF KAHARVA PISHTI
- This medicine should only be taken under strict medical supervision.
- Self-medication with this medicine may prove to be dangerous.
- It is to be avoided in children and pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Over-dosage may cause many severe headache.
- Take this medicine in precise dose and for limited period of time, as advised by doctor.
- Long term use is not recommended
- Keep out of reach and sight of children.
- Store in a dry cool place.