The common name for Salvia Officinalis is Sage. The common names used in India are Salvia or Safakus. It belongs to the family Lamiaceae and genus Salvia Officinalis. It helps to improve the condition of the brain, nerves, eyes and glands. It has a strong aroma and it has a bitter and astringent taste. It is known to quicken the senses and memory. It has been used since very olden times to remove evil spirits, relieve snakebites and also to increase a women’s fertility.
Salvia Officinalis is grown in many parts of the world including Europe, Canada and the United States. It has also been cultivated in Jammu and Kashmir which is located in India. It is also grown in the parts of Turkey as well.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SALVIA OFFICINALIS
Salvia Officinalis is an evergreen perennial shrub which has pale green leaves. It normally grows up to two feet tall and wide. The leaves are around 2.5 inches, long by 1 inch wide. The flowers may be of white, pink, purple or lavender in color. The leaves are green on the upper side and white on the lower side as they contain short soft hairs. Salvia Officinalis is known for its essential oils, which contains cineole, borneol, and thujone.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF SALVIA OFFICINALIS
Salvia Officinalis is known for its food and relieving properties, it also has medicinal uses. It also added in various cuisines, mainly in British, American and Middle Eastern dishes. It is added to the famous roast turkey or chicken during Christmas or Thanksgiving Day. It is also known to relieve Alzheimer’s disease.
The herb can act as:-
Salvia Officinalis has various essential nutrients such as thiamin, niacin and folate. It also comprises of vital vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B3, vitamin B6, vitamin C and vitamin K. It also contains important minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium as well as zinc.
This herb has various disease preventing and health promoting benefits. It also contains folic acid and riboflavin. Leaves of Salvia Officinalis consumed either fresh or dried can provide various health benefits as they are a rich source of minerals.
CARE FOR ALIMENTS
Salvia Officinalis is known to relieve mental exhaustion and improving the concentration of an individual.
- Stress: Using sage leaves while making tea works miracles towards reducing stress. The leaves used could either be fresh or dry; they will provide the similar results as well as taste.
- Infections: The leafy shoots of Salvia Officinalis since ancient times were believed to guard against plague and other infections.
- Premature Graying of Hair: Salvia Officinalis is used to prevent premature grey hairs of person, if it’s blended in hair tonics.
- Sore Throat: Salvia Officinalis is added in gargles and mouthwashes; it helps to clear the respiratory tract and provides congestion relief. The leaves can be rubbed on the teeth in order to produce a sparkling white smile as well as strong and healthy gums. Sore throat can effectively be relieved by doing gargles.
- Other Uses: It is popularly used while preparing dishes in the west. It commonly used in preparing pork, fish, duck and goose. Fresh sage leaves can be added in salads as well sandwiches. Dried and powdered leaves could be sprinkled on cheese and mixed with cooked vegetables.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS WHILE USING SALVIA OFFICINALIS
Sage is normally safe to use however, it should not be taken in large doses or for long term purposes. Certain species of sage contain a chemical called thujone that could be poisonous if taken in large amounts. It might cause damage to the liver and the nervous system.
Sage should not be consumed by pregnant women as it brings on the menstrual period and may lead to miscarriage. Sage should also be avoided while breast feeding as might reduce the mother’s milk supply. It might also increase blood pressure.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE SALVIA OFFICINALIS
Though Planet Ayurveda does not use Salvia Officinalis in any of its products, it has other herbal supplements that are very effective in relieving some of the conditions that can be relieved by Salvia Officinalis. These are:-
Planet Ayurveda is known for manufacturing splendid quality of herbal products. All our products are 100 percent vegetarian, natural and free of chemicals. Our products have certifications of authenticity. Our products do not contain any artificial flavors and are not tested on animals. Our products undergo several checks and are packed in excellent hygienic conditions. So, please be sure to buy Planet Ayurveda products every time.