Salmalia malabarica is commonly known as Silk Cotton Tree in English. It is commonly named as Semul in Hindi and Rakta – Pushpa in Sanskrit. It belongs to the family of Bombacaceae.
This herb can be found all over India, as well as in other regions of tropical Asia up to an altitude of 1500 m. it contains certain white fibers like cotton. Its trunk bears spikes, in order to prevent itself from animal attacks. Although, the trunk is quite bulky, it could be useful for timber but the wood is quite soft to be beneficial.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SALMALIA MALABARICA
It is a tropical deciduous tree that has a straight tall trunk. The leaves are large with lanceolate leaflets. Normally red or yellowish orange flowers with 5 petals grow on this plant. It produces capsules, which happen to contain certain fibers similar to cotton. The tree has long spread branches and the capsules contain many seeds.
Many parts of the Salmalia malabarica are used such as, the seeds, leaves, fruits as well as flowers. The gum secreted by the stem bark ‘mocharus’ is quite useful. This gum is used to relieve influenza, acute dysentery, tuberculosis and influenza.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF SALMALIA MALABARICA
The gum of Salmalia malabarica has plenty uses, some being traditional while other being modern. During olden times, this gum was used to relieve sores and wounds on the skin, bladder disorders and gonorrhea.
This herb can act as an:-
The gum contains tannins such as catechol, tannic, gallic, mineral matter and catechutannic acids. It contains amino acids like DL – valine and indicamine. The gum also contained fatty acids such linoleic acid, myristic acid, stearic acid and it also comprised of certain iridoids.
CARE FOR ALIMENTS
Salmalia malabarica helps to relieve a number of diseases and aliments. Some of them are listed below:-
- Weakness: The herb is quite effective in curbing fatigue and unnecessary weakness in an individual.
- Gonorrhea: Salmalia can be used to relieve gonorrhea and other infections related with the genital organs of the body. The fruits of this plant can be used to prevent weakness of the sex organs as well.
- Skin Problems: The gum of this herb is known to effectively relieve sores and wounds that are present on the skin.
- Dysentery: The anti-inflammatory properties of Salmalia malabarica make it an excellent herb for relieving dysentery. It helps to reduce the inflammation of the intestines, especially the colon.
- Influenza: The herb effectively helps to reduce the symptoms of influenza such as runny nose, severe headaches, body pain, fever and coughing.
- Chicken Pox: Salmalia malabarica can also be used to relieve contagious diseases like chicken pox. It helps to stop itching and scarring.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS WHILE USING SALMALIA MALABARICA
Although using Salmalia malabarica is quite safe to use. It does not cause any harmful side effects and can be used by all age groups. However, it is important to make sure that the maximum dosage of the stem bark and flowers are 50/250 mg.
Before using any herb it is advisable to consult a physician.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE THIS HERB
This herbal medicine does not provide a quick temporary relieve to the problem of erectile dysfunction it used to provide a highly beneficial permanent result. It also helps to increase sperm count and semen quantity. It aims at providing lasting performance.
Planet Ayurveda is respectable company that manufactures 100% natural, pure and vegetarian ayurvedic products. Our products have certificates of authenticity and standard herbal formulas. We make products that specialize in male and female health, liver care, respiratory care, arthritis remedies, kidney support remedies and so much more.