Ginkgo Biloba is one of the world’s oldest living trees. It is also known with the names Ginkgo and Maidenhair tree. It can be traced back to around 200 million years. Individual trees can last as long as 1000 years and grow to a height of around 120 feet. These trees survived the ice age in China. They are considered as sacred and are found in Buddhist temples spread all over Asia.
Ginkgo supplements are one of the best herbal supplements prescribed all over the United States and Europe. Chinese traditional medicine has been using Ginkgo for thousands of years.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED
Seeds and leaves of the plant are used for medicinal purposes.
CHARACTERISTICS OF GINKO BILOBA
It is an erect, large, deciduous tree which has branches as dense crown when grown old. The bark of the tree is cracked and gray in colour. The leaves are yellowish -in colour and are fan shaped. Male flowers are yellow in colour and hang in pendulous, thick cat kings. The female flowers are solitary, round and have long stalks. The fruits are yellow in colour and have a nasty smell after ripening.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF GINKO BILOBA
This Herb Has Several relieving Powers; Some of Them are as Follows –
Ginkgo is an astringent, bittersweet herb which shows positive influence on blood vessels, bronchial tubes and controls allergies. The leaves show stimulating effect on the blood circulation and the seeds have antibacterial and antifungal effects.
- Ginkgo can be used internally for relieving allergic inflammatory responses, asthma, and senile dementia. It also helps in improving memory, mental alertness, and circulation and addresses the problems related to varicose veins.
- The extract of the leaves show positive impact in relieving cerebro-vascular insufficiency, dementia, memory loss, dizziness, mood swings and disturbed concentration.
- The leaf extract is also effective in relieving tinnitus.
- The leaves are helpful in stabilizing irregular heartbeat; the seeds of Gingko tree are can relieve coughs associated with urinary incontinence and thick phlegm.
- Ginkgo improves micro blood circulation and is very effective in relieving erectile dysfunction caused by improper blood supply to the genitals.
- The seeds of Ginkgo tree are used in traditional Chinese medicine for relieving kidney and lung meridians and are used to relieve asthmatic disorders.
- Edible oil is extracted from the seeds.
- The roasted seeds are eaten as snack, used in stir fries, stews and soups.
In this video Dr. Vikram Chauhan explaining about benefits and uses of Ginkgo Biloba.
It contains flavonoids like glycoside and non-glycosidid biflavonoids, sesquiterpenoid and unique diterpene lactones.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb acts as a relieve for many ailments. Some of these are:
- Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia: Ginkgo has been used in Europe for the management of dementia. It improves the blood flow to the brain. It also protects the nerve cells which get damaged in Alzheimer’s disease. Various studies have supported the fact that Gingko influences memory and thinking capacity in people suffering from dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Usage of Ginkgo shows improvement in learning, thinking and memory, daily activities, social behavior and lessens depression.
- Intermittent claudication: As Ginkgo improves blood circulation, it helps people suffering from pain caused by reduced blood flow or intermittent claudication. People who take Ginkgo can walk comparatively for more distances.
- Glaucoma: It is proven that people who consume 120 mg of Ginkgo everyday for eight weeks showed improvement in their vision.
- Memory enhancement: Ginkgo is widely known as a “brain herb”. It shows improvement in memory and concentration.
- Macular degeneration: Macular degeneration which is related to the back part of the eye affecting the retina can be relieved with the help of Ginkgo.
- Tinnitus: Some blood vessel disorders and nervous damage will lead to tinnitus- a condition wherein hissing, ringing and other sounds in the ears or head or heard by the patients. Ginkgo is believed to improve circulation and control the symptoms of tinnitus.
- Standardized extracts
- Dried leaf suitable for making tea
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN USING GINKO BILOBA
It is always advisable to use any herb or herbal product after consulting a medical practitioner. Over dosage may lead to serious complications.
Gingko if taken in larger quantities may cause headaches, dermatitis, vomiting and diarrhea. Persons who consume blood thinning medication should not use Ginkgo as they influence the medicines.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE GINKO BILOBA
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Ginkgo Biloba is used:
Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels.
Please opt for Planet Ayurveda products and seek good health.