Ephedra is commonly known in Hindi as Asmania. The Sanskrit name is somlata.
This plant is indigenous to India. It is also grown in China and Pakistan.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED
Young branchlets and stems of the plant are used as a medicine.
CHARACTERISTICS OF EPHEDRA GERARDIANA
It is a shrub which is a perennial plant which grows up to a height of four feet. The plant beats yellow-greenish branches which are slender and cylindrical and has underground runners. The tree produces fleshy, poisonous red cones which look like berries.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF EPHEDRA GERARDIANA
This herb has several relieving powers; some of them are as follows –
- Ephedra stimulates the central nervous system and the heart. It has diuretic properties and increases rate of perspiration.
- This herb is used as a peripheral vasoconstrictor, bronchodilator and a central nervous stimulant.
- Its usage is illegal in sports but it enhances concentration and improves the performance of the athletes.
- It is useful in relieving hay fever, asthma and allergies.
- It influences the blood pressure in the body.
- It reduces the feeling of hunger and hence is used in several slimming medications.
- In Chinese medicine, it is used for colds, allergies and kidney weakness.
- In Ayurvedic medicine it is used to relieve edema and asthma.
The herb contains ephedrine which is a phenylethylamine alkaloid, flavonoids, lignans, catechols and polysaccharides. The root of the plant contains spermine alkaloids, procyanidins and tyrosine derivatives.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb acts as a relieve for many ailments. Some of these are:
- Asthma: One of the prominent uses of Ephedra is in the management of bronchial asthma. Powder of the herb in the range of 0.5 to 2 grams should be consumed along with water. It gives immediate relief by clearing the air passage.
- Rheumatism: The powder of Ephedra is used in acute rheumatism. It relieves inflamed and painful joints. When allopathic medicines like aspirin, antipyrin and salicylate of soda fail to show visible results, Ephedra acts as an infallible remedy. It does not produce any side effects.
- Heart disorders: It is an effective heart stimulant. It works efficiently when heart is affected by diphtheria and pneumonia infections.
- Urinary disorders: Ephedra influences urinary bladder. It is effective in relieving night wetting condition in children.
- Other ailments: Ephedra is useful in relieving disorders like rashes and hay fever. It is used in several nasal sprays useful in relieving asthmatic attacks and sinusitis and inflammation of the mucous membrane.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN USING EPHEDRA GERARDIANA
The usage of Ephedra under medical supervision is advised. Over dosage may lead to side effects like restlessness, anxiety, headaches, insomnia, vomiting, nausea and urinary problems. Pregnant women, lactating mothers, persons who take medications for depression and high blood pressure should not use Ephedra.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE EPHEDRA GERARDIANA
As of now there are no Planet Ayurveda products which use Ephedra. But the below mentioned products have similar properties as that of Ephedra.
All our Planet Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels.